Winter tyres or wheels+tyres for Nordic countries

Jayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi Q7 50, BMW 330 cabrio
Country flag
Hi guys,

i was just thinking if i order a set of Michelin center-european winter tyres for my Exlusive Design 21" wheels or buy a totally new set of wheels - 20" + proper nordic winter tyres. My tyre guy was suggesting to order the second option. These MAK wheels are meant for Taycan, 20" and don't cost arm and leg.
What do you think? I guess they would look pretty cool with red calipers, probably less range though....
Made a random quick photoshop to some random picture from google, just to see how they would look.... a slightly less smaller in real life but ... yeah...
Porsche Taycan Winter tyres or wheels+tyres for Nordic countries MAK Leipzi
Porsche Taycan Winter tyres or wheels+tyres for Nordic countries Screenshot 2020-09-25 at 15.48.37

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
I won't be running my 21" cf wheels in the winter - the salt and grit alone are brutal and they'll definitely sustain some damage.

I wonder if they do a narrow set of 20" steels for the full winter look :rock:

OP
OP
Jayjay

Jayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I won't be running my 21" cf wheels in the winter - the salt and grit alone are brutal and they'll definitely sustain some damage.

They have actually. I just would prefer all black because i have Carmine Red exterior with black pack. Check out www.makwheels.it/en-ww

Porsche Taycan Winter tyres or wheels+tyres for Nordic countries LPQM-206777

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I follow the view from the majority here on the forum; Go for the 20” winter wheels with somewhat smaller size (actually they are also quite large even for snow and ice).

However, I must admit I considered 21” inch myself, but quickly threw away the idea for three reasons: The purchase of these tire-dimension are more expensive (additional to the price of changing over twice a year), bigger size is less effective in winter conditions, and I would probably ruin my nice looking e-mission wheels due to use all year around.

So I ended up purchasing a second set of Porsche 20” wheels for the winter season. The dealer I bought my Turbo S from gave me a nice offer . . . so I couldn’t refuse :cool:

Last edited:

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I was torn between the 21” mission e and the 21” exclusive design, so went with the mission e as summer rims/wheels and are looking for a set of the 21” exclusive design as my winter rims/wheels :)

The past couple of years I have been driving with 21” as winter rims/wheelson my Model S with no problems. Even in snow the drive was very good. Remember that with an electric car you have better traction in wet/snow than with an ICE car due to the fast response from the electric motors.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Do people think winter driving with ice, sand, salt, etc - would trash the mission e wheels? I’d really like to keep mine on all year, but don’t want to mess them up!

Austrian4S

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport (2011), Range Rover (2016)
Country flag

They look good but I am just so into my 21” black high gloss exclusive that I am keeping them all year just changing the tyres winter/summer. This car is special and deserves great wheels so worth the risk to me. You can break one on a lovely summer day too

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
Do people think winter driving with ice, sand, salt, etc - would trash the mission e wheels? I’d really like to keep mine on all year, but don’t want to mess them up!
It depends how the conditions are with snow and length of the season. Where I live, the winter starts around November and let go around March. Salt is the main “killer”.

The mission-e wheels are high gloss paint and would corrode sooner if not taken well care of, and washed often. Perhaps ceramic coting would be protective.

Hidden obstacles, holes in road and curbs are often covered by snow and easy to hit. With less rubber on the 21” wheels compared to the 20” it’s easier to damage.

However in short winters with little snow, salt, sand or gravel, I see no trouble. But personally I wouldn’t take that chance, at least not over here in Viking-land ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jayjay

Jayjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It depends how the conditions are with snow and length of the season. Where I live, the winter starts around November and let go around March. Salt is the main “killer”.

The mission-e wheels are high gloss paint and would corrode sooner if not taken well care of, and washed often. Perhaps ceramic coting would be protective.

Hidden obstacles, holes in road and curbs are often covered by snow and easy to hit. With less rubber on the 21” wheels compared to the 20” it’s easier to damage.

However in short winters with little snow, salt, sand or gravel, I see no trouble. But personally I wouldn’t take that chance, at least not over here in Viking-land ;)
its exactly the same here, where i live. Just past few winters have had so little snow but wenever know, it might ve total blizzard as well....its a gueswork.

i had the same thing with my previous car -summer time i totally loved the cars appearance but on wintersit was kinda “meh..” and i dont want to feel that again with taycan, too expensive as a car to not love it as much and the winter season is like 5 months long...tough decisions....

PerPower

First Name
Per
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y Performance, Taycan 4S+
Country flag
its exactly the same here, where i live. Just past few winters have had so little snow but wenever know, it might ve total blizzard as well....its a gueswork.

i had the same thing with my previous car -summer time i totally loved the cars appearance but on wintersit was kinda “meh..” and i dont want to feel that again with taycan, too expensive as a car to not love it as much and the winter season is like 5 months long...tough decisions....
Exactly my thoughts!
My only concern would be if the salt/sand used on winter/icy roads will damage the 21” exclusive wheels in gloss black? Some mentions that here but nothing I personally have experienced.

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
Personal preference of course but it will still look good on some 20s. Not like you're putting it on some 16in steelies for winter.

I'd think some more closed wheels like the various Porsche options will keep the salt and stuff out of the brakes and suspension a lot better than open 3rd party wheels.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
I had intended to run the Mission E wheels year round and drive our wagon with studless snow tires when it was particularly nasty out, but I really like driving the Taycan and I don't think I would have kept that promise to myself! I just had PPF put on the Taycan and I asked about putting PPF on the Mission E wheels but they just weren't enthusiastic with the idea and I didn't want to be their first guinea pig. I think it was at that point I decided I would just get a set of the turbo aero wheels (which I think look really nice) and put winter performance tires on them. Where I live in Minnesota the solution to snow seems to be either lots of salt or lots of sand/gravel and I worried that at high speeds some of that gravel would hop in one of the Mission E wheels and just trash it. I suspect the closed face of the aero wheels might offer a bit better range in the winter too. Just my two cents.

6offsetin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I'm using the stock 19s as winters sadly only have one option of Pirelli (nokian normally my preference)
Sponsored