im85288a

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST
Country flag
Like many people on here I have been waiting for my Taycan for what seems like forever (since April 2021)..but it’s due to arrive end of July 2022 (hopefully).

So I watch every YouTube review/video I can to keep me entertained waiting for the car to arrive.

Reading some of the posts on here is unnerving in particular with software issues.

This video shows the PCM crashing (forward to around 19:05 mins in)

Luckily I am a software developer so can probably work around it, but just wanted to gauge peoples opinions on if this is something that happens often or more down to bad luck with that particular vehicle.
Sponsored

Oink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+, M3P
Country flag
Yeah had that happen once. I just drove it regardless as I was just going to the store. You should still be able to use the two-finger reboot into engineering mode then quit it to force a reboot.

EDIT: Just to iterate because I'm not watching a 40 minute video to find out if he says it -- the loading screen does not affect the instrument cluster, so no worries there.

EDIT2: Okay as I was typing and video was playing he confirmed it at 21:54.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This is not particular to electric vehicles. Very similar infotainment as Taycan is used on internal combustion Porsches (Cayenne & 911), so they likely have similar problems. Essentially this is a problem with all modern cars which heavily rely on very complex computers.

As a side note, I didn't watch the whole thing, skipped until I found it. From what I did watch, this bloke sure likes complaining about just about anything. He apparently cannot do simple math (according to his math 6KW charger takes 2 days to charge a Taycan). Given his high dependence on computers (unable to navigate without a computer) you'd think he's seen computers malfunction before. My kids, who grew up on computers, are totally used to computers glitching out all the time, they don't make a great deal out of it, definitely don't make online videos full of whining (40 minute video titled "My car CRASHED" with a couple of minutes in the middle where the car's infotainment, not all car computers, glitched out). *sigh*

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Clickbait.

The PCM has a lot of problems and is well documented on this forum, but it has been improving with time. We're also looking at a really big reliability upgrade later this summer.

Don't let it worry you. I've been one of the loudest complainers about PCM problems and I still love this car and wouldn't trade it.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Clickbait.

The PCM has a lot of problems and is well documented on this forum, but it has been improving with time. We're also looking at a really big reliability upgrade later this summer.

Don't let it worry you. I've been one of the loudest complainers about PCM problems and I still love this car and wouldn't trade it.
I'm in the camp that hasn't had any real problems with the PCM. Of course, I only have just under 1000 miles and only picked up the car on 7 May so anything can happen. I hope I didn't just jinx myself ;) So far the worst thing that has happened is I had to log out and back on to get CarPlay to work after an OTA update.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Clickbait.
I HATE all the bait garbage on the internet. Desperate moronic people just looking for clicks/views. 🙄
People like this give a bad name for the ones putting out quality videos with substance.

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
It’s funny, as our cars start to become more technically complicated than our phones our expectations are that they are still less glitchy….

My Taycan is still less glitchy than any Android phone I’ve ever owned. It has a little way to go to get to my first (current) Apple phone. But still in general pretty impressed.

And yes, I mean pretty impressed with the electronics! Complex software systems interfacing with many varying external sources is tough stuff….

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
In the last year I have had to reboot my iPhone at least once a month due to glitches. My PCM had to be rebooted 3 times in the last year. While a bit of an inconvenience, it is not a life changing event.

V10tdi

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 GTS 991.2,discovery sport, defender 90 300tdi
Country flag
Mine did exactly the same but I just switched it of locked the car and left it a few mins and it was fine

Leawood CT

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
I have had my Taycan CT for 6 months now. Had to restart the PCM once, and to be clear the car functioned fine until I did. I have had very few issues with the car and all were resolved permanently by the dealer in one service visit. Sometimes the Sirius XM stream takes about a minute to start. That is my biggest complaint, which is very minor. So therefore I rate the car outstanding in all aspects. Do not be unnerved by trolls making clickbait on the internet. You will soon be getting an absolutely awesome car. As Porsche says, "continue to be excited". :like:

Throb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8 V10, Taycan GTS ST, BMW 330e, MB C-Class
Country flag
You might find the MacMaster is a member of this forum. ;)

I'm currently in discussions with him to film a trans-European drive video for his vlog when I take delivery of my Taycan.

I think you're all burying your heads in the sand if you think the PCM issues are "nothing". It's startling just how many have experience of them. That's not good! I don't care if they ultimately correct themselves or only crash for a few minutes. They shouldn't be happening at all! And no, there are plenty of manufacturers who don't have these issues at all.

Lars

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 911 C4S Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Like many people on here I have been waiting for my Taycan for what seems like forever (since April 2021)..but it’s due to arrive end of July 2022 (hopefully).

So I watch every YouTube review/video I can to keep me entertained waiting for the car to arrive.

Reading some of the posts on here is unnerving in particular with software issues.

This video shows the PCM crashing (forward to around 19:05 mins in)

Luckily I am a software developer so can probably work around it, but just wanted to gauge peoples opinions on if this is something that happens often or more down to bad luck with that particular vehicle.
I have latest hardware, PCM6 coloured icons. Had my car 1500 miles (2 months) no glitches at all.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
I have latest hardware, PCM6 coloured icons. Had my car 1500 miles (2 months) no glitches at all.
I've had the same experience. There is a HUGE difference between the 'old' PCM6 and the 'new' one. Whether it is software or hardware - the change is significant.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I’ve had a taycan since dec 2020 (2021 4s and 2022 turbo s and never had an issue with my pcm

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Clickbait.

Completely agree with this. My Cayenne also has PCM 6 albeit with the colored icons and has had zero issues in 5k miles.
Sponsored