would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ?

would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
No, I'm really not a fan of cars this big. It's only the fact that the balance is perfect & center of gravity so low that makes the Taycan feel smaller.

I like to really like the Taycan but I don't love it. I DO love the electric drivetrain. I'm probably going to swap to an EV Macan & older NA Cayman/Boxster duo in 2022, unless they do something really cool with the Taycan GTS.
Now a Taycan GTS, yes I would swop the 4S for that. . .
Sponsored

Wakesurfer

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2023 YukonXL, 2024 Macan S
Country flag
Would you ... please let US know why
The Mission E look attracted me to the Taycan. First and foremost, it is a Porsche; second it looks awesome; third it handles incredibly well; finally it is electric. Now with all of that said.................I would not have ordered a Taycan if it were ICE.........and I would not have purchased a Panamera. I purchased the Taycan more as a fun experiment and I do not see the same draw to a Panamera even the hybrid model.

lazvek

First Name
Laz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Carrera S Cabrio
Country flag
No. As a daily driver, it would be hard not to give a hard look at a Panamera, or even a BMW 8 series. This was a technology lust purchase, and it really is a better EV than anything else out there.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Perhaps a more illuminating question would be:

"WHY would you buy a Taycan if it wasn't electric?"

Mad Pat 66

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had a Panamera Hybrid and loved it. I got my Taycan as a result of the Mission E Concept car and because it was fully electric. I believe that it’s a very good looking car, especially from the front 3/4 angle but loses a little side on. It is nowhere near as practical as the Panamera, either on long journeys or carrying capacity, the user interface is seriously glitchy and if it wasn’t for the fact it is fully electric I’d have got another Panamera. That said, it drives superbly, is very modern inside and is definitely the future.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
Would you ... please let US know why
I have driven electric only (2 Tesla Model S, P85 AND P100D, and currently Model Y and Taycan 4S) since the beginning of 2013. I will probably never purchase or lease a gasoline powered vehicle again, unless it is some rare sports car or something that is a fun toy and not my daily driver. I think we are only going to have more and better options in electric cars of all types in the future as well. Anyone who has driven electric cars for any length of time will know that it is a better way to power a vehicle. It is quicker, quieter, more responsive to driver inputs, mechanically superior in terms of repairs and problems, in my opinion safer, much more convenient (no gas or oil stops/changes), and better for our planet (despite the coal generated electricity arguments). Soon we will have every manufacturer with an array of e-powered cars, trucks, SUV's, motorcycles, etc. The only gas powered car I would consider would be a vintage collectible now, like a Cobra or great 911, etc.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have driven electric only (2 Tesla Model S, P85 AND P100D, and currently Model Y and Taycan 4S) since the beginning of 2013. I will probably never purchase or lease a gasoline powered vehicle again, unless it is some rare sports car or something that is a fun toy and not my daily driver. I think we are only going to have more and better options in electric cars of all types in the future as well. Anyone who has driven electric cars for any length of time will know that it is a better way to power a vehicle. It is quicker, quieter, more responsive to driver inputs, mechanically superior in terms of repairs and problems, in my opinion safer, much more convenient (no gas or oil stops/changes), and better for our planet (despite the coal generated electricity arguments). Soon we will have every manufacturer with an array of e-powered cars, trucks, SUV's, motorcycles, etc. The only gas powered car I would consider would be a vintage collectible now, like a Cobra or great 911, etc.
EV for a daily driver? Absolutely! All day long!

...but no carefree road-tripping with an EV. You need an ICE for that.

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
EV for a daily driver? Absolutely! All day long!

...but no carefree road-tripping with an EV. You need an ICE for that.
I have used my Tesla's for road trips with no issues at all, great Supercharger network and pretty fast charging with fairly long range, almost 300 miles. It was also free to use for my first 8 years, so "free fuel" made the 30 minute wait to charge worth it on road trips. You do need to plan a little more for long road trips in terms of stops to charge, but soon we will have EV's with over 500 mile range I believe and the road trip issue will no longer be thought of as a problem.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have used my Tesla's for road trips with no issues at all, great Supercharger network and pretty fast charging with fairly long range, almost 300 miles. It was also free to use for my first 8 years, so "free fuel" made the 30 minute wait to charge worth it on road trips. You do need to plan a little more for long road trips in terms of stops to charge, but soon we will have EV's with over 500 mile range I believe and the road trip issue will no longer be thought of as a problem.
More range just means you charge longer at individual stations...

EV's, in my experience, generally have about a 20-25% overhead for charging (time wise). It takes me about 20%-25% longer to do a typical 700 mile trip than what I can do in one of my ICE vehicles. In fact, I can drive the entire 700 miles in my Diesel (in "IronMan mode") before I have to fill up - and then it only takes about 10 minutes.

I can also pretty much do road trips anywhere, anytime in an ICE without worries or ANY planning. You simply can't do that in an EV.

Carefree means "care free".

I love my EV's - don't get me wrong. But one technology doesn't have to be unfairly discounted just for another to be appreciated.

ICE vehicles have some major advantages over EV's. Why not appreciate them?

Mylam

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DB11V12.
Country flag
No

Why-
Purely tax efficient company car

why not-
911 is the only real Porsche
Taycan Not that good looking - side profile lumpy
Feels very heavy to drive
Interior too focussed on the cup holders which sit prominently in centre console - why?

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
No

Why-
Purely tax efficient company car

why not-
911 is the only real Porsche
Taycan Not that good looking - side profile lumpy
Feels very heavy to drive
Interior too focussed on the cup holders which sit prominently in centre console - why?
Mylam....I do hear ya and as one who was following Mission E development for over 4 yrs and was most vocal on the boards lamenting the mule body as it became apparent in 2017 that it would be Tay.......that said, wife still wanted it and.......there were a couple of ways to mitigate two of your issues :), i.e. the cups and the side profile.
One....smokers package
Two....rocker wrap

Porsche Taycan would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ? Center_smoker console

Porsche Taycan would you buy taycan if it wasn't electric ? Tay side profile

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
No. I would have kept my 911 and waited for an EV with the quality, performance, and driving enjoyment of the Taycan.
Sponsored