Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I think Hyundai is one of the most exciting auto manufacturers rights now.

When I saw this concept car that might be built as a hydrogen fuel cell, rumored to be 800hp, its something I would get.

In California the infrastructure is already there

Porsche Taycan Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car? dims

Porsche Taycan Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car? genesis-essentia-concept-101-1527776430

Are you open to theHydrogen Fuel cell technology?

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
I think Hyundai is one of the most exciting auto manufacturers rights now.

When I saw this concept car that might be built as a hydrogen fuel cell, rumored to be 800hp, its something I would get.

In California the infrastructure is already there

dims.jpeg

genesis-essentia-concept-101-1527776430.jpg

Are you open to theHydrogen Fuel cell technology?
The South Koreans will for sure be an automotive force as the landscape shifts to EVs, but HFCs are dead on arrival -- even if the cars look amazing. https://energypost.eu/hydrogen-fuel-cell-cars-competitive-hydrogen-fuel-cell-expert/.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hydrogen will never work for consumer transportation. We might see a different story for large shipping or airplanes, but it's fundamentally retarded for automobiles.

Hydrogen was something to do if EVs couldn't work out. EVs have, and that's that.

Hydrogen is expensive, volatile, and very inefficient to manufacture. It only looks good compared to ICE.

and many more.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
Honestly, given the way most hydrogen fuel will be produced until there is some regulation of it, I’d just rather people stick with ICE cars. Most hydrogen fuel will be produced in a very environmentally unfriendly way (because it can be produced that way very easily).

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Honestly, given the way most hydrogen fuel will be produced until there is some regulation of it, I’d just rather people stick with ICE cars. Most hydrogen fuel will be produced in a very environmentally unfriendly way (because it can be produced that way very easily).
Let’s hope hydrogen doesn’t become a diversion tool abused by Big Oil. On the other hand, I don’t want to sound like a conspiracy theorist…

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
Making hydrogen from natural gas is terribly inefficient and contributes more to GHG emissions than simply burning natural gas. Steam reforming natural gas to hydrogen takes a tremendous amount of heat (by burning natural gas as the energy source). To make hydrogen cleanly, you need renewable energy combined with hydrolysis which is very expensive. Then add to the fact that storing and transporting hydrogen gas is very difficult (it's the smallest molecule and can easily leak through most storage containers) it's going to be a massive undertaking to making hydrogen accessible everywhere. Compare this to battery electric vehicles which simply need electricity (which is already everywhere) it doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

I can see hydrogen fuel cells in a few niche applications but battery electric vehicles will dominate.

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hydrogen is a fossil fuel play - pure and simple and keeps the fossil fuel industries business model completely intact - it simply move the emissions to the refinery away from the ICE engine - I don’t think we need 100% EV - we can keep fossil fuels “in play” but reduce their usage - and Hydrogen might be one way to do better in this space

but I’m not that interested in it for personal transportation - cargo and freight it might be better than an EV semi which I think it is a hard thing to pull off.

D’Roc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD
Country flag
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36003212/hydrogen-mirai-california-shortage/

I'm all for cool tech, but Hydrogen had its chance and the auto makers basically fucked around until they were overtaken by lithium ion batteries.
I read somewhere that the uptick in articles about Hydrogen are mainly driven by the fossil fuel industry since most commercially available Hydrogen is made from Coal or Methane.
One writer said it’s simplest to put the debate into two camps: Hydrogen ELECTRIC VEHICLES (HEV) or Battery ELECTRIC VEHICLES (BEV). And you’re 100% correct that efficiency of BEVs is far greater than HEVs.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
H2 economy is insane! The efficiency "well to wheel" is horrific, so even all H2 is produced by renewable we need like 3-4 times as many renewables as we need with BEV. These renewable sources have to manufactured, maintained and replaced regularly all consumes additional energy. What are these crazy people thinking and still playing around with this nonsense?

Porsche Taycan Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car? 1629085339528

Porsche Taycan Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car? 1629085429411

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
[s] 2021 Taycan AWD [\s] 2022 Rivian R1T
Country flag

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I can see hydrogen fuel cells in a few niche applications but battery electric vehicles will dominate.
I also thought that there might be niches, but where are they?

1. Shipping? Should be a hybrid solution with batteries and synthetic fuels.
2. Airplane? Would you seriously considering sitting in a plain with a leaking tank full of explosive hydrogen?
Sponsored