Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car?

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Synthetic fuels are how much more expensive than hydrogen? There has been a lot of research in H2 in the last 40 years, but way less in synthetic fuels.

I also cannot see batteries for intercontinental flights.

As for leaking jet fuel vs H2: At least we have 100 years experience with jet fuel, we have none (except Hindenburg) with H2.
it’s a little difficult to compare, but back of the napkin looks about 5x more expensive than hydrogen. Maybe it does get a lot cheaper, that‘s a dream, but still all bleeding edge science stuff for now.

we have decades of experience with H2 in flight. We call them rockets. Only SpaceX uses methane instead which isn’t exactly an improvement for the Environment …
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
it’s a little difficult to compare, but back of the napkin looks about 5x more expensive than hydrogen. Maybe it does get a lot cheaper, that‘s a dream, but still all bleeding edge science stuff for now.
The price for e-kerosene is currently at least four times more expensive than fossil kerosene, which is approximately 550 euros per ton. But Dr. Neuling is convinced that “with larger, optimised plants and lower electricity prices, it should be possible to reduce the price to less than 1,000 euros per ton.

So the target is twice as expensive.

...two specific variants of sustainable aviation fuel (SAF), known as power-to-liquid (PtL) and sun-to-liquid (StL) fuels. The aviation industry has long since recognized the potential of no longer producing aviation fuel from crude oil and has been testing alternative fuels for over ten years now.

In the short term,
production is expected to increase in Europe in the next few years, according to company announcements. For example, SkyNRG is developing a production plant in the Netherlands to be opened in 2022 aiming to produce 100 000 tonnes of SAF per year. Neste, with refineries in Finland and the Netherlands will be increasing production capacity up to a total of 100 000 tonnes per year between the US and Europe in 2020-21 and 400 000 tonnes in 2022.

Porsche Taycan Would you consider a Hydrogen Fuel cell car? 1629168858362

Source. What might happen in 15 years: The EU will mandate, that every flight to and from the EU must be CO2 neutral. Then all the air tickets will go up in price by 30%. Not an issue after Covid and the problem is solved! ;)

we have decades of experience with H2 in flight. We call them rockets. Only SpaceX uses methane instead which isn’t exactly an improvement for the Environment …

As much as I am into tech, I will NEVER fly in a rocket! Considering the Boeing Max and Dreamliner scandals I will not fly in an H2 airplane. There are things in life, I simply don't need!