timo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS, Sequoia
Country flag
SUVs are dumb.. wagons are cool.
Until you need to tow something;)

But when I think SUV I think body on frame full size truck that can cart around a family of 5 and a boat.

I too will probably never own the modern mid size SUV which are just very large and tall unibody cars.
Sponsored

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
So...it's like this.

My first Porsche in 1998, the saleswoman told me "you'll never be able to drive anything else."

I shook it off as sales hyperbole but damned if she wasn't right.

Every time I try to "kick" I end up coming back to Porsche.

The Taycan makes my 7th.

At this point I just know that I won't be happy unless I'm driving a Porsche, and I waited for them to make an EV I could deal with.

I am hoping they make a smaller/sportier EV soon, as I am not a 4 door car person and would very much like to have something like a Boxster or 991 Targa but electrified.

philbur

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1997 911 C2 (993), 2015 Cayenne S, 1978 VW Bus
Country flag

But when I think SUV I think body on frame full size truck that can cart around a family of 5 and a boat.

I too will probably never own the modern mid size SUV which are just very large and tall unibody cars.
The Cayenne is the ultimate Tow vehicle - engineered to tow jumbo jets :) and you get all the porsche over engineering racecar benefits ;) They will get there in EV, just a matter of time! All the SUVs are dumb.. no one needs to sit higher - only because there is on SUV out there.. meh.. i could go on..

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
There are so many new EV coming out with very cool concept. The EQG from Mercedes, Polestar 4, Lotus Eletre, and even the Cadillac Lyriq. Looks are subjective but I think these cars do look pretty cool and futuristic. I love the way my Taycan drives and the way it looks but some of these brands also know a thing or 2 about building cars. I feel like the electric car market is giving many automakers a second chance to rebrand themselves. Personally really looking forward to what Lotus will release after the Eletre and what the Polestar 4 will be like. Very curious to how many of us would consider trying other brands, especially ones that might offer more for your dollar on the surface.
I like trying many different brands of cars as long as they are good cars.

I plan to keep the Taycan at least 5-6 years but have a Rivian R1S SUV on order and plan to replace our current family SUV in a few years.

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
Like DerekS, I've driven many European brands including a few exotics but I keep coming back to Porsche. If you're into futuristic technology with its bells and whistles then there's a burgeoning playing field to select from. While each manufacturer has its strengths and drawbacks. Porsche is synonymous with performance and handling. For me, by far, the driving experience, based on engineering, design, and build quality has kept me a loyal customer of Porsche.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
So...it's like this.

My first Porsche in 1998, the saleswoman told me "you'll never be able to drive anything else."

I shook it off as sales hyperbole but damned if she wasn't right.

Every time I try to "kick" I end up coming back to Porsche.

The Taycan makes my 7th.

At this point I just know that I won't be happy unless I'm driving a Porsche, and I waited for them to make an EV I could deal with.

I am hoping they make a smaller/sportier EV soon, as I am not a 4 door car person and would very much like to have something like a Boxster or 991 Targa but electrified.
There's a EV Boxster/Cayman coming in 2 years :) I'm keeping an eye out on EV convertibles, but would need 4 seats. Polestar 6 is also on my watch list, but the $25k deposit to wait 4 years seemed a bit much.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar-6/

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I had space, I’d strongly consider adding the new electric Silverado to the stable when it comes out.

OTPSkipper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune Blue Taycan
Country flag
Hear. Hear.
This is what we need battery efficiency for. A small, quick car with 250m range.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag

I think that market is different in the US to other 1st world countries (except perhaps Australia). Very few dirt roads or people wanting to use them. Living in a city with a huge, inefficient, expensive "van with comfy seats" makes no sense but it is the current fashion.

Back when I was at Williams GP engineering in 2003 the chief designer had a BMW 5-series estate car as his company car. He was a keen camper and cyclist so when the X5, which was in huge demand here, came along, he changed to that (cars changed quite often they were part of the BMW UK demo fleet I think).
It was hopeless, bigger, heavier and less efficient than his estate car with less usable cargo space as well, he got rid as soon as he could.
An estate car is pretty well always a better choice unless frequently going off-road IME.

Also body on frame constuctions are excellent off road but are not very good for crash safety of occupants, in fact most SUVs are below average for primary safety, ie avoiding an accident in the first place.

Last edited:

avdb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Raptor
Country flag
The Taycan looks great but still a little bland.

For a small EV I like the Mini electric but the range is too low. Hopefully a new one will be out soon.

An EV version of a Lotus Emira or Corvette C8 would be very interesting.

Cooler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW
Country flag
Taycan is at the moment only EV that is something I really wanted. I have not yet driven i4 M50, but in paper that is the other one I am interested.

I see myself going back to BMW camp in some years. 2025 onwards they will introduce Neu Klassem which will most likely provide very cool EV's. Those will be half price of Taycan. Yes, they won't provide as much "luxury", but that is no problem for me. Driving dynamics is the most important factor to me.

jonbek

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
For me, there's only one brand; Porsche.

bxwatso

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCT
Country flag
Sticking with Porsche here.
There are only a few makes I have driven that have a personality: Alfa, BMW, Porche. To the extent the Japanese brands have a personality, it either sucks (Toyota) or is fading (Nissan). I have never driven a super-exotic make. It's weird to me that Audi has nothing even though it is related to Porsche.
The Porsche driving personality is the best (Alfa close second). EV or no EV, Porsche offers something you can't get elsewhere in a car that can be used daily, and the Taycan is loaded with that something.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
For me, there's only one brand; Porsche.
Nah, after over 2 years Taycan, not a convert.

I ordered an EQA 250+ as a second car and will order a EQE SUV. Best software on the market to date for Europe.

Never had a SUV, never liked it, so time to buy one and drive it for a few years.

But I admit, taking corners with my Porsche is out of this world. :involve:

• Love
Reactions: B61

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Really not sure I will stick with Porsche at this point. I really love my Taycan, but cannot say it has made me a Porsche enthusiast.

I am going to make a comparison between Tesla and Porsche owners because I see many similarities.

Tesla fans seem to forgive Tesla for poor build quality, inadequate lights/brakes, lack of grab handles and comfortable rear seats, etc. because Tesla does such a great job with UI/app, battery and electric motor tech, as well as ADAS.

Porsche enthusiasts (fans) seem to forgive Porsche for bad stereos in past models, poor UI (PCM)/app in current models, around 4 NHTSA recalls and a brake TSB (should probably be a recall) for Taycan in the past year, inferior EVSE, and uPdates that require multiple days in the service department rather than an OTA update because Porsche vehicles generally have great steering, suspension, and overall driving performance.

I think Porsche really can and should do better. Tesla can and should so better, however, as long as consumers (fans especially) keep waiting in-line to buy these vehicles nothing is likely to improve.
Sponsored