Would you trade your Taycan for a Rolls-Royce Spectre?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It appears that the same wankers who designed the Jaguar iPace had a hand (no pun intended) in designing the Spectre. One day perhaps they will come to understand that EVs do not need radiators and oversized grills to cool the motors. For sure I would take the Taycan, sans grill, everyday over the roller.
EVs do need cooling. The Taycan coolers are in a very vulnerable to damage loction, unfortunately, as the nose is styled a bit of a signature Porsche shape.

Most of the grilles are "decorative" faux manufacturer's signature design features, not principally for cooling. It isn't just RR and Jaguar, notably BMW but also Audi and Mercedes, and I'm sure others too.

New manufacturers with no historic design features are free of course

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
EVs do need cooling. The Taycan coolers are in a very vulnerable to damage loction, unfortunately, as the nose is styled a bit of a signature Porsche shape.

Most of the grilles are "decorative" faux manufacturer's signature design features, not principally for cooling. It isn't just RR and Jaguar, notably BMW but also Audi and Mercedes, and I'm sure others too.

Of course the EV grills are nothing more than vestigial design signatures. Like most industrial designs, form follows function, and folks likes RR historically did an admirable job of marrying the necessary function, i.e. cooling the internal combustion engine, with the form of the car. Without the underlying function to worry about, a large grill on the front of an EV makes about as much sense as a propeller-esque design signature on a modern jet. But, I will freely admit that I know next to nothing about the sale and marketing of RR's, and perhaps the iconic grill glued to the front of their EVs will enable them to command a large premium over competing products such as the MB EQS.

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag

I thought the same thing. Like the Taycan, 911 radiator placement is weak too, like a glass chin. Non-Porsches during races can take out 911s by brake checking. Too risky in 911 to do that given engine placement.

Always thought we waste air flow. Why not use it for things like interior cooling in a way that minimizes need to use power for fans and using to keep windows and mirrors clean and exterior and defogged on interior (although defogging is harder)?

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
I'm a big RR guy and I've been waiting for an RR EV since the Early 2000 when Phantom Series 1 was released, then 102EX.

RR needed to be an EV.

A few observations:

RR is a BMW, lovingly called the 11 series by RR execs. Now they are making the grills on the Rolls smaller and 7 series even bigger to blend them.

Why would they put a digital dash, digital gauges? Rolls is about craftsmanship and materials

The Starlight headliner is a beloved feature. The Starlight on the doors will be a huge seller

What makes this a $400k car? Electric propulsion evens the playing field with any vehicle

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What makes this a $400k car? Electric propulsion evens the playing field with any vehicle
It has luxurious gold plated batteries, haha... RR name alone is worth 200k and the rest is the car.

I was expecting a new interior and a different shape, this is an electric Wraith.

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
Not the car for me, but, a RR EV makes a ton of sense given what's expected of them and how they're used.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It has luxurious gold plated batteries, haha... RR name alone is worth 200k and the rest is the car.

I was expecting a new interior and a different shape, this is an electric Wraith.
I was having a debate about cadillac celestiq and how it won't sell because exclusivity is in the brand, not the model.

Got to pay to play for the quality and exclusivity.
Congratulations!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I would like to try it for the following situations:

Track days.
City driving.
Parking in our (small) garage.
Letting my Mum reverse it into a tight parking space.

I think it would be ideal for those.
🤣

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Flat and larger grill (than onbmw) is easier to use …on barbeque.
Just imagine a group on a picnic…all would be served at once :giggle:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
Now that autumn has arrived in earnest here in Ireland, I've noticed that the cooling intakes/radiators are sucking up leaves like a vacuum cleaner.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Flat and larger grill (than onbmw) is easier to use …on barbeque.
Just imagine a group on a picnic…all would be served at once :giggle:
BMW technology, R&D, management. RR is the brand marketing, as time goes the RR design trickles down to BMW.
Classic German OEM blue print. The Russian Doll design
Sponsored