SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
Indeed! Charged the car on the way down! :)

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Curious as to how the regenerative charging was working.

Did you have the car on cruise control or using ACC or Innodrive? Did you ever apply the brakes or did you just let the car coast downhill? Do you know how long the run was and how steep the grade was and the maximum speed you reached?

Neptune

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I was about to post a question asking if anybody has managed to make the percent charge of their battery actually go up with an extended regen coast.

taycan_sportturismo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW 320i xDrive
I was about to post a question asking if anybody has managed to make the percent charge of their battery actually go up with an extended regen coast.
Fun fact: in mining areas, the massive dump trucks that have to carry material from one location to the next can charge themselves fully downhill for the next trip up the hill. Good stuff!

This article is more a summary while this one actually gets into the physics of it. Enjoy!

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I've had mine add 3% driving down a 12 mile mountain pass.

I've seen some pretty big regen numbers here in Colorado.

OP
OP
SwissTaycan

SwissTaycan

First Name
Dieter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S arrived on 23.12.20 and 718 Spyder on order
Country flag
It was not quite as scientific. As the hotel offered free charging (22kW actually) I charged the car to 85% and had a nice warm battery when I left. Then came the pass going downhill, where the speed limit was either 60 km/h or 80 km/h (slower in the tunnel at the beginning). Had it on regen and did minimum (soft) breaking. Can't tell you the exact altitude I ended this run nor the gradient and after about 20 km I was on the motorway doing 120+ km/h (or I normally set Innodrive at 126 km/h so just over 78 mph just where speed cameras should not trigger). So the max negative number I reached was a little higher at 11,4 I think.

The journey there indeed was not as efficient. Started at 100% and arrived with 72%. The way home I started at 85% and ended at 71%. (Only a 1 hr 15-ish drive). And there are hills along the way as well but nothing as extreme.

Will be interested to try a longer mountain pass in the summer -- all snow covered right now! But yes it will not be a zero sum game comparing up and down. Maybe a few model years from now ?!

P.S. And yes I had hit 86% and think I was close to 87% but then the highway came. @manitou202 I can imagine you getting some pretty good charges on even the I-70 coming into Denver or lots of other places.
Sponsored