Mikegrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sl550, corvette c7
Country flag
The WSJ had an article saying “, Ford, GM, Rivian, Volvo, Polestar and Mercedes-Benz have announced plans to adopt Tesla’s North American Charging Standard, making it possible for their products to access Tesla’s vast and growing network of Supercharger stations”
https://apple.news/AwReKENdHQF2VZfVbjrSSRg

Does anyone know if Porsche will do the same? Sure would make life easier I guess there may be a cost to Porsche to join theTesla bandwagon But Tesla makes money if folks use their chargers. Hmm. If more car makers join maybe Tesla will build more charging stations.

lots of questions.
Sponsored

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I know the search function can be a little clunky, but there are quite a few threads about this topic already. Here is the one with the most info... https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...itch-ccs1-at-least-the-physcial-design.16080/
On the plus side, the article is new.

On the negative, though, it is a crock of shit, left out in the sun for a few hours. “NACS may be the proverbial camel’s nose, as the rest of the industry inevitably migrates to Tesla-like electrical architecture and codeware, in the interests of compatibility.” 🙄

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Excerpts:

This year, in a watershed for electric mobility, the Tesla Model Y became the bestselling automobile in the world. As an advocate for better cars may I extend a hearty booyah.

Underscoring Tesla's rout, Ford, GM, Rivian, Volvo, Polestar and Mercedes-Benz have announced plans to adopt Tesla's North American Charging Standard, making it possible for their products to access Tesla's vast and growing network of Supercharger stations.

The generalization of NACS will be a huge win for consumers who have both wanted and feared buying their first electric car due to the inadequacy of existing CCS-based infrastructure. NACS will soon bring a generation of short-winded, slow-charging EVs within the radius of a Supercharger station somewhere, anywhere. Suddenly, buying an EV other than a Tesla doesn't seem so crazy. If the price is right. And by right, I mean much, much cheaper.

The timing depends. Ford said its products would gain access to 12,000 Superchargers in North America by early 2024. For these non-NACS vehicles, Tesla has developed what it calls the Magic Dock adapter, allowing Superchargers to grok CCS-equipped vehicles. This plastic coupler is secured to the charger, ready when needed.

It's not clear to what extent CCS-equipped cars can take advantage of NACS higher charging rates, currently capped at 250 kW, with 350 kW (V4) being tested. These limitations would be on the car side, having to do with capacity of the power electronics, the charging conditions and mood of the battery-management system. NACS may be the proverbial camel's nose, as the rest of the industry inevitably migrates to Tesla-like electrical architecture and codeware, in the interests of compatibility.

Starting in 2025, Ford's EV products -- including Mustang Mach-E and F-150 Lightning pickup -- will adopt the NACS port. Other automakers are considering a combination charge-port, accommodating the legacy CCS plug as well as Tesla's notably slimmer and easier-to-handle, um, handle.

Other challenges are more administrative. Fumble-free automatic billing is one of the glories of the Supercharger network. Tesla's Superchargers haven't previously needed input screens or card readers. Last year Tesla announced a deal with the White House to open 3,500 new or existing Supercharger stations to the public along major highways. However, in order to be eligible for federal incentives, public Superchargers need to have some point-of-sale interface.
---------------
Most importantly, NACS will make my job easier. I have felt ridiculous repeating automakers' range and charging estimates, knowing that the range represents the rosiest of forecasts in the balmiest of conditions, and the maximum charging rate presupposes a device so rare it might as well be folklore. At the end of the rainbow, m'lad, there's an Electrify America charger putting out 350 kW. Shoor there is.
Sponsored