Ramvet

First Name
Lorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 T 4S, 2018 Suzuki 1000 GSX-S
Country flag
I couldn't wait for a Taycan optioned to suit, so I bought a pre-configured 4S and had it shipped to me in February 2021. Came with the Insulated glass roof. Can't speak to noise reduction, but thermally, it's the bomb. I live in a southern coastal city with VERY hot summers. The AC kept me totally comfortable last summer. But when I touched the roof on the inside, I could have burned my finger! I'm a bit confused about that, unless the AC is just that powerful.
Sponsored

DANgerous

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
I’m putting together my Taycan GTS configuration. Does anyone have experience with the Thermally and Noise Insulating Glass option? Is it worth it? It seems like the Thermal insulation is standard, so $1,130 option cost is really for the Noise Insulation. Thanks.
I toyed with this option myself and in the end decided against it. I just took delivery of my car and I'm glad I saved myself the 1000 USD +. That's because a) how could I know the difference by not having it, b) it's quiet anyway, c) the sports sound is awesome and I don't want to not hear it (!), d) I also got the Burmester audio and still can't find fault with the glass. Boom, 1000 bucks in my pocket, no love lost!!!

FrozenRobert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan S Cherry Red
Country flag
To each his / her own ... many Tesla models come with it, and people like it.

My 2021 Taycan 4S does NOT have it. As previously mentioned, the car is already incredibly quiet, I'd rather spend the money on something else. A cool cosmetic upgrade, or perhaps externally-mounted rocket engines.

Wait -- that's a different car company. Sorry.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
This option matches GTS less as a model about sportiness. Putting big mass to the upper part of the car for questionable benefits. To all other models YES. GTS NO.
According to Porsche, the acoustic glass weighs less than the standard glass - care to reconsider now for a GTS?!

“A secondary effect is that the acoustic glass weighs a little less than the standard offering. In the case of the Panamera, the reduction in weight is around two kilograms”

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
According to Porsche, the acoustic glass weighs less than the standard glass - care to reconsider now for a GTS?!

“A secondary effect is that the acoustic glass weighs a little less than the standard offering. In the case of the Panamera, the reduction in weight is around two kilograms”
True/good news/surprising. From this direction I agree, it is matching GTS 'philosophy'.

But UP TO 7,3% less noice for the price is not for me still.

"This reduces outside noise by up to 7.3 per cent in a frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz."

Last edited:

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
True/good news/surprising. From this direction I agree, it is matching GTS 'philosophy'.

But UP TO 7,3% less noice for the price is not for me still.

"This reduces outside noise by up to 7.3 per cent in a frequency range of 630 hertz to 6.3 kilohertz."
it does also say that this difference is actually something that can be heard, but I agree it doesn’t appear to be significant.

I’m also not sure that the reduction in weight from ‘high up’, will improve the handling either!

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
If you watch the video there are a couple of points he makes:
1. He felt the noise was less in the car with the acoustic glass
2. There were different tires and he claims the Michelins, are quieter than the Hankook evo3's so that would also make a difference
3. He wasn't even sure if the other Taycan had the acoustic glass or not

Bottom line, he felt that with the same tires the acoustic glass makes a significant difference. I wouldn't necessarily use the quoted test results as a gold standard ;-)
Thanks for this. I was wondering the same -- I heard his comment about not being sure if one car had or not. So the whole experiment was flawed. I think I will get this

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
...and offered at the end rather choose electric sport sound than acoustic glass...
It is just a one man opinion (feeling) next to the numbers.
But of course it is still not a scientific source.
We could not find better.
What did he mean by that? I didn't get it. Is he suggesting that even though there is a difference in sound, it is not a big deal so get the electric sound option?

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
What did he mean by that? I didn't get it. Is he suggesting that even though there is a difference in sound, it is not a big deal so get the electric sound option?
Yes. Could mean that value per money rather buy the Electric Sound than Acoustic Glass. But very personal as most of the things around of options.

The fact is that it is insulating outside noises in a range 630Hz to 6,3kHz by 7,3%.
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...-insulated-glass-christophorus-401-26834.html

Making decision on this basis is the best or back to back drives with and without, who has a chance to do.

Dan Richman

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Lexus CT200h
Country flag
I'm a prospective buyer. On current-model year Porsches with sound-insulation and tint, are the front windows tinted? If so, does that affect visibility? I rented a 2015 Panamera e-hybrid that had the insulated and tinted glass, and the front windows were so dark I found them dangerous at dusk. I couldn't clearly see vehicles approaching from behind in my side mirrors. After dark,they were more visible because of their headlights, but I still felt uneasy at how dim everything was.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
I'm a prospective buyer. On current-model year Porsches with sound-insulation and tint, are the front windows tinted? If so, does that affect visibility? I rented a 2015 Panamera e-hybrid that had the insulated and tinted glass, and the front windows were so dark I found them dangerous at dusk. I couldn't clearly see vehicles approaching from behind in my side mirrors. After dark,they were more visible because of their headlights, but I still felt uneasy at how dim everything was.

With the acoustic and sound insulated glass, all the glass has a very minimal tint layer around the whole car that is more of a thermal reflective barrier and does not affect visibility in any appreciable way. This option is double layer glass with a thermal reflective film in between them.

I have found the option very useful in Florida, I have noticed some improvement in thermal load in the car, although I also have the variable light control roof which may play a role also. I have not noticed a great difference in the sound transmission, but I have not compared back to back with another Taycan except for an initial test drive 4 months prior to receiving my car.

The biggest drawback of this option is the loss of a significant amount of cellular signal inside the car for me and difficulty in dealing with transponders for gates and toll. You must place them in a designated area right next to the rear view mirror.

If I didn't live in Florida, I may in retrospect reconsider this option because the signal loss on my phone impacts my daily use negatively.

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
I have the thermal & noise glass in my GTS. My buddy has a 4S without it and he notices the difference, both in terms of sound and heat in the car. I have not had any problems with cell phone reception in the car.

nischalr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Audi Q4 E-tron
Country flag
I have the thermal & noise glass in my GTS. My buddy has a 4S without it and he notices the difference, both in terms of sound and heat in the car. I have not had any problems with cell phone reception in the car.
I think it may be my area that my signal is generally at baseline not great even outside and the glass tips it over to an inconvenience sometimes with google maps, and streaming video while parked, but never had an issue with calls though.
Sponsored