OhRichman

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, 718 Boxster
Country flag
I’m putting together my Taycan GTS configuration. Does anyone have experience with the Thermally and Noise Insulating Glass option? Is it worth it? It seems like the Thermal insulation is standard, so $1,130 option cost is really for the Noise Insulation. Thanks.
Sponsored

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I would search around on the forum. There are a ton of threads about this option and it gets a lot of mixed reviews. The glass can interfere with radar detectors, toll transponders and cell phone reception but it seems everyone reports a different experience.

dgompper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m putting together my Taycan GTS configuration. Does anyone have experience with the Thermally and Noise Insulating Glass option? Is it worth it? It seems like the Thermal insulation is standard, so $1,130 option cost is really for the Noise Insulation. Thanks.
Yes, absolutely. Cabin is quiet, and all you really hear is the tire/road noise. It is worth the extra $$.

madeyong

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S; BMW X7
Country flag
It came standard for me with the Premium Package on the Turbo S so I had no choice. I absolutely love how quiet it is. When parked next to a soccer field with the window up it is literally like I have a mute button for the screaming 13 year olds on the pitch. Almost scary how well it keeps the sound out.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
I didn't order it over concerns regarding radar detector performance.

As for noise, compared to my GT3, the Taycan in stock form is already quiet as a tomb. I've no doubt that the noise insulating glass option makes the car even quieter but, for me at least, the stock sound level is 100% acceptable, I have no regrets over passing on the option and I'm happy I saved the $1130 to spend elsewhere. YMMV.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’ve got the noise and thermal insulated glass option and in my opinion it is a must have option. It works nearly miraculously in keeping your car cool on hot summer days thereby reducing the workload on the AC and increasing range and efficiency whilst significantly reducing the ambient noise from the plethora of gas guzzlers you’ll encounter on a daily basis.

I’m not sure that there is any significant thermal protection with the standard glass, so whatever thermal protection the standard glass offers is definItaly not as pronounced as with the Thermal and Noise insulated glass option.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
I drove back to back full day cars with and without. Could not feel any difference on noise. This was the only one option that did not make any difference. Drove speed up to 250km/h but could not say the car is equipped or not.
Porsche Taycan Yea or nay on the Thermally and Noise Insulating Glass +%jJwBmLRtibClEVSzGlkA

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag
I did not spec it and zero regrets. It is extremely quiet without it and I can’t really imagine it being much more quiet. I would personally put that money elsewhere. ??‍♂

Jancha

First Name
Janis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Cabrio (ex Taycan 4s+)
Country flag
Yea

no fog (almost), no frost

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Depends on whether you are optioning the glass roof or not. With glass roof it’s a safe bet and you will have somewhat reduced noise levels. With metal roof, unless you are sure your cellphone providers signal won’t deteriorate, it’s safer to leave this option out.

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I don't have it specced, and wouldn't change that either.

With respect to noise, when driving locally IMHO the motor whine is dominant, and IIUC that is mostly transmitted within the car and the glass doesn't really affect that at all.

At higher speeds, it feels like the tire noise is easily as loud as wind noise, and there too I don't see how the glass would really help.

FWIW, I've driven both, and can't say that I noticed it. If it's real, it's not really that noticeably different...
(As an aside, I'm pretty sure that if it were measurably better by some significant margin, you bet German engineers would measure and publish it )

(I'm looking mostly for the sound isolation - if you're looking for thermal, I don't have an opinion on that.)

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Depends on whether you are optioning the glass roof or not. With glass roof it’s a safe bet and you will have somewhat reduced noise levels. With metal roof, unless you are sure your cellphone providers signal won’t deteriorate, it’s safer to leave this option out.
This is only if you don't store your phone in the smartphone compartment, right? Looking at the manual (it is what I have until my car gets here :-( ) It says that when stored in the smartphone compartment it connects to the external antenna, so there shouldn't be an issue when using it through the car's phone interface.
Sponsored