Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
This is only if you don't store your phone in the smartphone compartment, right? Looking at the manual (it is what I have until my car gets here :-( ) It says that when stored in the smartphone compartment it connects to the external antenna, so there shouldn't be an issue when using it through the car's phone interface.
Yes, but even if the driver always uses the holder this way, the glass affects everyone else’s phone also.

I have this option and I wouldn’t get it again. Of course, I wouldn’t have have gotten it the first time either. This was a “wife” option.
Sponsored

Last edited:

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, but even if the driver always uses the holder this way, the glass affects everyone else’s phone also.

I have this option and I wouldn’t get it again. Of course, I wouldn’t have have gotten it the first time either. This was a “wife option.
I'm quite alright if it affects any other phones in the car ;-) For the most part, it will only be my wife and me except on very rare occasions and she'll have the passenger display to play with.

I'm not getting the glass roof and any additional thermal protection, along with noise reduction, provided will be great. It gets very warm in southern Arizona. Plus from reading the other posts on this topic it seems like the interference varies quite a bit.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
This is only if you don't store your phone in the smartphone compartment, right? Looking at the manual (it is what I have until my car gets here :-( ) It says that when stored in the smartphone compartment it connects to the external antenna, so there shouldn't be an issue when using it through the car's phone interface.
I have the insulated glass option and have never noticed an issue with cell phone signal, whether the phone is in my pocket or in the compartment. Normally I just leave the phone in my pocket.

TayFan

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Audi A7, Mercedes ML350
Country flag

I have this option and I wouldn’t get it again. Of course, I wouldn’t have have gotten it the first time either. This was a “wife” option.
As an aside, it’s worth noting that keeping my iPhone 12 in the quick charger a lot eventually leads to it overheating…a known issue.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
As an aside, it’s worth noting that keeping my iPhone 12 in the quick charger a lot eventually leads to it overheating…a known issue.
Yeah, neither me or my wife actually use it, other than one time as a test to see if the signal was boosted (it was). It’s not terribly convenient. Mainly because it’s in the center console and nothing about the center console is convenient.

Sorry, now I’m just complaining. Insert obligatory “I love my Taycan” comment.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Unless I'm misreading the manual you should be able to turn off wireless charging and still get the benefit of the external antenna. I'm wondering if that programmable icon on the instrument cluster could be set up to turn off/on wireless charging?

It would be nice if Apple would let an app control the battery and charging options, on the phone, but I don't see that happening very soon, if at all.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Isn’t the external antenna feature discontinued for MY22 Taycans? For my wife having low cellphone signal is a no-go given how many calls she takes in the car. It would be a no-go for me as well during the 1 day in 2 years when she will allow me to drive it to get it serviced.

pEAkfrEAk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S [MY2022]
Country flag
It says that when stored in the smartphone compartment it connects to the external antenna, so there shouldn't be an issue when using it through the car's phone interface.
But this is only correct until MY21. MY22 doesn't have the LTE/4G compenser in the smartphone compartment anymore. So no connection to the external antenna.

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I have chosen it.
There is, of course, no reason why it would reduce structure borne noise but reducing external noise getting into the car may be worthwhile, it is one thing I may remove from my spec when I have to fix it since it is probablynot much gain for driving on country roads as opposed to busy motorways.
The UK configurator just mentions noise insulation so maybe the heat insulation is no different?

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
The only actual objective data I have seen on noise reduction, was teslabjoern comparing cabin noise with and without the insulated glass, and measuring db. There were no difference.

my dealer dit not recommend it, since it does not reduce wheelnoise, which is the dominant noise in the cabin.
I guess the glass adds some kind of heat insulation, but I optioned out.

I dont think you will ever be able to tell the difference under real life conditions.

Bognar67

First Name
Janos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
T M3P 2019, Taycan GTS 2022, i4 40 MS 2024
Country flag
The only actual objective data I have seen on noise reduction, was teslabjoern comparing cabin noise with and without the insulated glass, and measuring db. There were no difference.

my dealer dit not recommend it, since it does not reduce wheelnoise, which is the dominant noise in the cabin.

I dont think you will ever be able to tell the difference under real life conditions.
Correct. No measurable difference.
Porsche Taycan Yea or nay on the Thermally and Noise Insulating Glass 96C9ABE1-8A74-43C6-BDA0-D47C95F5828A

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag

On YouTube there is a direct comparison video on the thermal insulating qualities and a good ceramic tint was far more effective than the thermal glass.

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Correct. No measurable difference.
96C9ABE1-8A74-43C6-BDA0-D47C95F5828A.jpeg
If you watch the video there are a couple of points he makes:
1. He felt the noise was less in the car with the acoustic glass
2. There were different tires and he claims the Michelins, are quieter than the Hankook evo3's so that would also make a difference
3. He wasn't even sure if the other Taycan had the acoustic glass or not

Bottom line, he felt that with the same tires the acoustic glass makes a significant difference. I wouldn't necessarily use the quoted test results as a gold standard ;-)

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
I have it with the panoramic roof and I think it’s quieter but memory is an unreliable tool and I didn’t drive the non-equipped car very close to receiving mine. To be fair, on the lunar landscape that is a lot of British roads, the roar from 21” Pirellis is far more intrusive than anything else, notable by the sudden disappearance of same when encountering a piece of newly laid tarmac, at which point it’s eerily quiet. As a side note I find that the sport sound is beneficial in allowing one to realise quite how fast you’re approaching the roundabout when you need to slough off the speed in a 2.25 tonne car. It makes its weight quite apparent when braking hard although it does stop well, it just feels like it’s all of its weight whilst doing so!
Sponsored