Yet another "Porsche Software Sucks" example.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Disclaimer - I love the car. I wish Porsche built software as good as they build cars.

When "plug and charge" inevitably fails the next best option (to get that free charging session) is to use the My Porsche app, find the charging station, and initiate a charging session from within the app. This has worked fine for me as the primary ID associated with the car. Here's where the lovely folks at Porsche have completely missed the target. My wife is the secondary user. When she tries to initiate a charge from the My Porsche app she cannot. She get an error message that says something similar to "You need to activate your charging contract to start a charging session". No matter what we do in her account we cannot get past this error message so I called up Porsche tech support for assistance. I've had a great experience with tech support every time I have called them. I explained the situation and the promptly told me that it was not possible for a secondary user of the vehicle to start a charging session through the app. I asked them to file a ticket about this bug and they informed me that many have already been filed and I was probably the 1000th person with the same request in the past 1.5 months they had been working there. Eventually Porsche may or may not fix this annoying issue. Until then my wife will start using my login credentials on the My Porsche app. It's an easy enough workaround but it highlights another poorly implemented software feature.
Sponsored

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
Can’t she just login to the app with your details on her phone ?

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Can’t she just login to the app with your details on her phone ?
That's literally the 2nd to last sentence of my post. So yes :like:

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
That's literally the 2nd to last sentence of my post. So yes :like:
Sorry missed that. I can’t actually see this as a real big deal really when the workaround is so simple.

Unless you are hiding your driving locations to your mistress that is… :)

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sorry missed that. I can’t actually see this as a real big deal really when the workaround is so simple.

Unless you are hiding your driving locations to your mistress that is… :)
:CWL: It’s not a huge deal since it has an easy workaround but it’s another example of poor software execution by Porsche and now the issue is documented for other folks who bump into it. That’s sort of the point of these forums besides sharing beautiful photos of our cars.

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
:CWL: It’s not a huge deal since it has an easy workaround but it’s another example of poor software execution by Porsche and now the issue is documented for other folks who bump into it. That’s sort of the point of these forums besides sharing beautiful photos of our cars.
I guess Tesla do the software and Porsche do the cars :)

OP
OP
Hirschaj

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I ran into the same issue. Thanks for reporting it to Porsche NA and sharing Porsche's response.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
I can’t actually see this as a real big deal really when the workaround is so simple.
The big problem - and I'm guessing OP's point - is that this is as basic of a usability issue as can be after "it runs". The car supports multiple profiles, but the app/service side does not. Given the high reference count, I'm guessing the fix is a big deal (ie invalidates a basic assumption made long ago, as in they/EA created accounts per user, rather than 'user on behalf of car').
Sponsored