Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Sorry to post yet another Q about the 22 kW onboard charger option, but with the recent press announcement that cars not equipped now have the option to have the faster on board charger retrofitted to their cars:

The 22 kW onboard charger has now also recently become available for retrofitting1. Customers can combine this retrofit at their own expense with a workshop visit for the software update. With up to 22 kW of charging capacity, the more powerful variant charges the battery significantly faster. In Europe and North America, the retrofit also includes activation of the Plug & Charge function. This enables convenient charging and payment without a card or app. As soon as the charging cable is plugged in, the Taycan establishes encrypted communication with the Plug & Charge-compatible charging station. The charging and payment processes then start automatically.
Im trying to figure out whether a 22 kW on board charger will charge up batteries any faster with my home EVSE setup (Wallbox pulsar Plus plugged into a 240V outlet with a max current of 40A) or will it not charge any faster than the 9 kW or so (I forget exactly what it is) speed (24 mi/hr) that I get with the standard on board charger?

Also same question applies to any public level 2 chargers that tend to be set to deliver power on the slower side
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Your home setup limits the speed.

To get a full 11kW from your standard AC onboard charger would require more amps. To get close to 22kW (19.xkW) you'd need a whole
lot more.

Without changes to your electrical supply you would not charge your car any faster at home if you paid for the upgrade to 22kW. Public AC charging would be a different story and would be twice as fast as your existing home setup.

The key to this is your underlying electrical supply to the EVSE / wall box and the power rating of that device.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
So, not sure if your circuit is 50A and you're talking about using a 40A charger (which would be the highest load you should have on the 50A circuit), or a 40A circuit with a 32A charger.

In either case, your maximum charging rate would 9.6 kW (40A X 240V = 9,600W) for the 50A circuit, and 7.7kW (32A X 240V = 7,680W) for the 40A circuit, well within the capability of the standard 11kW on-board AC charger.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Your home setup limits the speed.

To get a full 11kW from your standard AC onboard charger would require more amps. To get close to 22kW (19.xkW) you'd need a whole
lot more.

Without changes to your electrical supply you would not charge your car any faster at home if you paid for the upgrade to 22kW. Public AC charging would be a different story and would be twice as fast as your existing home setup.

The key to this is your underlying electrical supply to the EVSE / wall box and the power rating of that device.
So, not sure if your circuit is 50A and you're talking about using a 40A charger (which would be the highest load you should have on the 50A circuit), or a 40A circuit with a 32A charger.

In either case, your maximum charging rate would 9.6 kW (40A X 240V = 9,600W) for the 50A circuit, and 7.7kW (32A X 240V = 7,680W) for the 40A circuit, well within the capability of the standard 11kW on-board AC charger.
The former, my Wallbox is on a 50A circuit but plugged into a Nema 14-50 outlet so I'm getting the 9.6 kW charging speeds like you said.

Ok thanks to both of you, that's what I thought and now I'm glad I didn't pay extra for the higher kW on board charger. I have no intention to upgrade my home EVSE setup anytime soon as it works 'fine enough' for my home charging needs. 👍🏽
Sponsored