Yet another video showing Taycan beating EPA rated range on the highway and it's not even in summer weather.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
That is quite impressive and low consumption @ron_b. What temperature range was this done in and were the routes you drove reasonably flat.

I have 21 inch wheels which does not help, but I am no way near as low a consumption. I also live in quite a hilly are with elevations of up to 600 meters and down again and up again etc. So I am seldom see lower that 25 to 27 kWh/100 km. and it has gone up now 5hat we are getting cooler weather as well, typically 5 to 12 degrees C.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I am totally impressed with the Taycan range, I have the 4S+ with 20" Turbo wheels...
The range is excellent for such a heavy car. What really impresses me is the precision

Porsche Taycan Yet another video showing Taycan beating EPA rated range on the highway and it's not even in summer weather. 20201204_125919

of range remaining with very low SoC!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
That is quite impressive and low consumption @ron_b. What temperature range was this done in and were the routes you drove reasonably flat.

I have 21 inch wheels which does not help, but I am no way near as low a consumption. I also live in quite a hilly are with elevations of up to 600 meters and down again and up again etc. So I am seldom see lower that 25 to 27 kWh/100 km. and it has gone up now 5hat we are getting cooler weather as well, typically 5 to 12 degrees C.
Hills drive up the consumption quite a bit, even though the car has excellent recuperation.

I live up a little mountain and do 5km school runs. The school run takes 22kWh/100km but driving longer where the little mountain does not matter anymore and the consumption drops to 19kWh/100km.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag

Hilly but not mountains I would say. Normal journeys are probably 3000ft in aggregate and probably 5 such trips. Temps 15-20C. California don't you know, 60F is like freezing to us natives.

I would agree that your temperatures and elevation contribute. I think temp is 50%, elevation 40% and tire size/aero is 10%.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I would agree that your temperatures and elevation contribute. I think temp is 50%, elevation 40% and tire size/aero is 10%.
My guess: temp 25%, elevation 70%, tire less than 5%

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Hilly but not mountains I would say. Normal journeys are probably 3000ft in aggregate and probably 5 such trips. Temps 15-20C. California don't you know, 60F is like freezing to us natives.

Thanks Ron,

As also pointed out in one reply, it would matter how much is part of a hilly run and then flat run. Unfortunately I have not driven like downhill and then flat for a longer stint. I might actually try that and drive down to the coast and then drive back and forth at sea level for a longer stint, to see the consumption. That is of course once we are allowed to be out driving freely again with COVID restrictions?

I just saw this article as well about Teslabjōrn comparing a car with heat pump and one with resistive wire heating! Quite interesting and in line with what I would have thought. A factor of 3 between the different heating systems.

Driving in colder weather now both the AC and the heater is running. The AC to dry the air by cooling it and the the heater heating it via resistive load!

If the heat pump systems is correctly designed it will do both things at the same time. Cooling the air to extract the heat and then warming it once it is dried. Should be beneficial on a longer trip!

https://electrek.co/2020/12/03/tesla-model-3-heat-pump-comparison-results/

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Here is my updated graph vs. Tesla P85D. For a long time I thought the heat pump would start separating the curves at low temperatures - but I do not see that yet. I certainly got a penalty from switching to the AEZ rims and the winter tires are still quite new (<500 miles), must take that into account - I would assume at least 5% penalty.

Yesterday I drove 176 miles at ~40F with a consumption of405 Wh/mi. Battery was cold when I started. That gave me a range of 215 miles. If the numbers continue to follow the curve, I would have a range of 190 mi (306 km) at 1F (-17C).

Just like @feye said, the precision is remarkable - the car estimated range when I started was 211 miles.

Porsche Taycan Yet another video showing Taycan beating EPA rated range on the highway and it's not even in summer weather. 1607086052573

YWGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, BMW i8, and EQE 500 4Matic
Country flag
I am totally impressed with the Taycan range, I have the 4S+ with 20" Turbo wheels and 250mi us like falling off a log, if I really range mode it and stay under 70mph I think even 300mi would be quite reachable, but I cannot seem to stay below 70, must be a defect in my car.
I'll save you a trip to the dealership. You must have a contagious condition most Porsche owners have. It's called Lead(Pb) foot!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@svp6 man I love me some data!

thank you thank you thank you for posting this. I appreciate it and I hope others on the forum do as well.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I actually think the type of tires makes a reasonable difference. I lost about 2 kWh/100mi of efficiency just by swapping on Pirelli Scorpion Winters over Michelin Pilot 4 Summer tires.

In addition my data supports what @svp6 posted, so thank you! My range dropped from around 260-270 miles in 70 degree weather with Michelin Pilot 4 tires to about 215-220 in 40 degree weather with Scorpion Winters. Same routes, same driving pattern.

Also an important note about mountain drives, I've taken my Taycan over several passes and coming back down almost entirely neutralizes the efficiency loss. I'll get a 4-10 kWh/100 mile increase by the time I reach the top but by the time I get back down the efficiency will be back more or less where it started. Ie.. starts at 33 kWh/100, up to 43 KwH/100 at the top of the mountain, but back to 33 or 34 by the time I get back down. This is with regen off, as I believe you get more efficiency just by coasting down.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A nice table from InsideEVs.
Only one car with significantly more range at 70mph than EPA. What could that be?
If you guessed the Taycan you would be right. Looks like it has 21" wheels on the 4S even.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/443791/ev-range-test-results/

EPA 203mi, real world 278mi.

That's a little bit better than me but I don't drive on flat roads like they do for their tests nor do I drive a fixed speed.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
I fiddled with the car a little more. Tesla P85D had a recommended tire pressure of 45 PSI - hence all the data in the graph are at that pressure. I decided to check what happens with the Taycan at higher pressure - went for 42 PSI instead of 39. In addition, I charged to 100% just before departure. With these 2 changes there was a ~5% improvement (395 Wh/mi at 30F vs 405 Wh/mi at 40F).

The ride comfort was not different at higher tire pressure - as far the seat-of-the-pants measurement. I will stay with current setting for a while, will see what that gives in really cold weather.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I fiddled with the car a little more. Tesla P85D had a recommended tire pressure of 45 PSI - hence all the data in the graph are at that pressure. I decided to check what happens with the Taycan at higher pressure - went for 42 PSI instead of 39. In addition, I charged to 100% just before departure. With these 2 changes there was a ~5% improvement (395 Wh/mi at 30F vs 405 Wh/mi at 40F).

The ride comfort was not different at higher tire pressure - as far the seat-of-the-pants measurement. I will stay with current setting for a while, will see what that gives in really cold weather.
Sorry I am not following. I see you say you changed Tire pressure and starting SoC but then you state a higher Consumption at a warmer temperature which makes me sense to me. Does 30F mean 30 degrees fahrenheit? Thx

With these 2 changes there was a ~5% improvement (395 Wh/mi at 30F vs 405 Wh/mi at 40F).

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
Sorry I am not following. I see you say you changed Tire pressure and starting SoC but then you state a higher Consumption at a warmer temperature which makes me sense to me. Does 30F mean 30 degrees fahrenheit? Thx
Few days ago I did the trip at 40F with 405 Wh/mi - which was slightly above the regression curve fit. I then inflated the tires more and warmed the battery before departure - got 395 Wh/mi at 30F - so lower consumption even if the temp was 10 F lower the second trip. If you work back from the regression curve fit what the consumption would have been at 40 F, you get a ~5% increase in range by just inflating tires and warming the battery.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Few days ago I did the trip at 40F with 405 Wh/mi - which was slightly above the regression curve fit. I then inflated the tires more and warmed the battery before departure - got 395 Wh/mi at 30F - so lower consumption even if the temp was 10 F lower the second trip. If you work back from the regression curve fit what the consumption would have been at 40 F, you get a ~5% increase in range by just inflating tires and warming the battery.
Understand now, wow that inflation makes quite a difference. Glad to hear that the grip is virtually the same.
Sponsored