Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)?

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
I travel regularly from NJ to VT which is the only time I need to charge outside the home. There are few Electrify America chargers off the Thruway/NorthWay (87) at the point where I need to charge. The one that works for me is at a Walmart in Albany NY with eight chargers. The first time I went, three of the chargers were working, The last time I went only two chargers were working and as I was there, the 350kw ceased functioning. There were two guys working on them and I talked to them quite a bit and they had no idea if they were going to be able to get them working again. I checked before I made my return trip five days later and there was still only one working.

I went to a Chargepoint at a Hyundai dealer in Queensbury NY, pulled into there lot with three functioning charges and charged right up for $4.19. Its hardly worth it to deal with these chargers setup unmonitored in parking lots where they get abused and remain un-repaired. I'd be interested to hearing others experience with Electrify America in other locations.
Sponsored

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I travel regularly from NJ to VT which is the only time I need to charge outside the home. There are few Electrify America chargers off the Thruway/NorthWay (87) at the point where I need to charge. The one that works for me is at a Walmart in Albany NY with eight chargers. The first time I went, three of the chargers were working, The last time I went only two chargers were working and as I was there, the 350kw ceased functioning. There were two guys working on them and I talked to them quite a bit and they had no idea if they were going to be able to get them working again. I checked before I made my return trip five days later and there was still only one working.

I went to a Chargepoint at a Hyundai dealer in Queensbury NY, pulled into there lot with three functioning charges and charged right up for $4.19. Its hardly worth it to deal with these chargers setup unmonitored in parking lots where they get abused and remain un-repaired. I'd be interested to hearing others experience with Electrify America in other locations.
I just traveled from Long Island to Albany and then on to Niagra Falls and back. And I actually went to the EA charger in Albany. Like almost all EA chargers (and EVolve, a New York Stare effort that sometimes uses EA chargers), there were problems..BUT, I was always able to get something working!...I have charged at reduced power. I have waited around for others to leave (almost always a result of multiple dead chargers). I have plugged into multiple "working" chargers to find one that actually works. I have called EA (good customer service!)

It's still too difficult to do this stuff and I feel bad for newbies dealing with it - but it is slowly getting better. There ARE more chargers and non-EA options are better in case of a real emergency. Thankfully, for me at least, Plug and Charge works 95% of the time btw. ..remember when ICE cars started fueling up in the early days, they went to a pharmacy to buy fuel....we are slightly ahead of that in the non-Tesla electric car world..but only slightly!

OP
OP

RPSRPS

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 TAYCAN GTS / '22 F150 HYBRID / '19 RANGER
Country flag
I just traveled from Long Island to Albany and then on to Niagra Falls and back. And I actually went to the EA charger in Albany. Like almost all EA chargers (and EVolve, a New York Stare effort that sometimes uses EA chargers), there were problems..BUT, I was always able to get something working!...I have charged at reduced power. I have waited around for others to leave (almost always a result of multiple dead chargers). I have plugged into multiple "working" chargers to find one that actually works. I have called EA (good customer service!)

It's still too difficult to do this stuff and I feel bad for newbies dealing with it - but it is slowly getting better. There ARE more chargers and non-EA options are better in case of a real emergency. Thankfully, for me at least, Plug and Charge works 95% of the time btw. ..remember when ICE cars started fueling up in the early days, they went to a pharmacy to buy fuel....we are slightly ahead of that in the non-Tesla electric car world..but only slightly!
I agree - I have confidence the situation will be constantly improving, however, I doubt the ability of so many different networks being able to maintain their equipment in public spaces. Think the future is destined to be in places where they can be monitored and attended to (ie Gas Stations & DealerShips).

BMonte13

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan
Country flag
Great when it works but my experience in 4 months of ownership and about a dozen Electrify America charges has been unreliable/inconsistent. Customer service is super nice and I think the issue is a combo of both Taycan software and EA chargers. Fortunately I have lots of solar panels, 2 tesla powerwalls, and a level 2 charger at home so i just stick to that for now (plug in overnight about twice a week).

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
San Francisco Bay Area, EA charging has largely worked for me and the wife. Both our vehicles come with free EA charging so we try to use it where we can compared to just charging at home. Locally, most of the time we're able to charge with maybe 1/2 stations offline or rate limited (~50kw). We have noticed things have gotten busier and had to wait a few times so more stations are absolutely critical for increased adoption.

We've taken one EV road trip down to LA and back using all EA stations. We were able to charge at all but one stop where we were not able to charge (combination of 2/4 stations being down and the others being used), though had to move the car to a working station a few times. We left early in the morning to minimize traffic and charging competition. If it was a busier time of day or holiday weekend, I can see it being more frustrating experience.

Fsudoles

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Two EAs here in Eastern Broward County (Greater Fort Lauderdale area) have been seamless since we took delivery April 10th, 2022. The one in Fort Lauderdale just west of 95 on Broward Boulevard at a Super Walmart has about ten chargers, including a couple 350s, but mainly 150s…I’ve never had an issue, but it is busy, but I’ve never waited. There is also a Target in Deerfield Beach that has four chargers, only 150s, and they are typically empty….it’s really been great, I just wish they were a few miles closer to home.

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I have had my RWD for four months now and mostly charge at EA stations 99.999% of the time.
The first week was hell as I could not get the car to charge without calling EA for help (they were great).
After the first week plug and play worked perfect every time. I use a local Target near my house in South Jersey. They only have four double units but given the way they placed them you can only charge 4 cars at a time which seems crazy but I only had to wait once in four months.
I have taken one long trip to date and only used EA stations which worked with no issue. Honestly, the only complaint I have about EA is the location of them. They are in a remote corner of a retail parking lot with no overhead cover for rain and snow. No trash cans and no place to sit other than in your car.
I look forward seeing these become full blow stations some day!

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
If a charger in Kingman Arizona USA (110 miles {180 km} SW of Las Vegas) breaks, a service technician has to drive from Las Vegas to fix it. I met him while he was fixing the 50 kW CHAdeMO charger.

The first time I tried to use one of the four 350 kW and three 150 kW chargers, I had trouble. I was on the phone with EA for 43 minutes and finally got one of the 150 kW to work after logging out of the MyPorsche app and the EA support set the charge rate to zero. There was no trouble the second time I used the 350 kW.

There were also a couple of vandwellers parked next to the chargers, but they never pestered me.

Buckeye Arizona USA (20 miles {30 km} west of Phoenix) has two 350 kW and one 150 kW. No charging or homeless issues the two times I charged there.

Las Vegas Nevada USA (South Premium Outlets) has four 350 kW and five 150 kW: the first 350 kW I tried was offline, so I moved my Taycan to the neighboring 350 kW without issues. No homeless issues the one time I charged there.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
If a charger in Kingman Arizona USA (110 miles {180 km} SW of Las Vegas) breaks, a service technician has to drive from Las Vegas to fix it. I met him while he was fixing the 50 kW CHAdeMO charger.
Checking my trip logs for this station I had pretty good results in June.

Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? IMG_0246.PNG
Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? IMG_0247.PNG
Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? IMG_0248.PNG
Porsche Taycan Your Electrify America Experiences (and Locations)? IMG_0249.PNG

Last edited:

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Stopped by E.A. site in Tampa Fl. first charger would not auto-charge so moved to another that started right up. While chargng, notified E.A. C.S. about the charger that would not Plug & Charge.
Apparently each charger needs special software to perform the Plug & Charge service. Generally have good luck @ E.A. chargers. Carry RFID cards for the other vendors, which work very fast.

First Name
Smitty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag

I was traveling home from Los Angeles last Thursday evening. The trip is two hours. I took me four hours to arrive home because none of the charging stations I was going to were working. If they did work, they would get a fault a few minutes in. At first, I wondered it there was an issue with my car, but there were no cars at any of there and another customer was having issues as well. My anxiety was very high as I kept thinking my car would die. I called Electrify America and they said there was nothing wrong with their charging stations. Another issue I had was the first time I charged there, the pump would not released from my car. I also called them that time and the lady kept attempting to reset the pump. After 30 minutes, it finally released. I ensured the car was unlocked and used the release button prior to this, but it was not working. The only good in these situations is that I had nowhere to be when these issues arose. However, I am not happy that these are things people are dealing with.

ejcintr

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s, F150
Country flag
in my experience EA in the San Ramon/Livermore valley (SF BAY AREA- Dublin/Danville/San Ramon/Pleasanton/Livermore) has been consistently good... plug and play works flawlessly and in general pretty good reliability of the chargers (low incident of disabled chargers).. I have traveled to both Tahoe, Monterey and LA and have had no major issues (I use Plugshare pretty religiously so there is a bit of self selection here that removes problematic EA locations). EVGO stations are another matter - several times not being to get the chargers to connect/charge even though I have the application and RFID card. I don't use Chargepoint except at work- and at work the chargepoint app and chargers have worked well.

EvFamily

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, dodge Ram
Country flag
I find PlugShare to be helpful when it comes to charging. It’s pretty up to date in my area about the working and availability of chargers. I noticed that the EA chargers in my area rarely are 350. They just added 4 new 150 EA chargers about 10 miles from me. The charging network is actually pretty good in the Temecula, CA area. Only had 1 experience with the 350 chargers that are a mile from my house being down. I only use EA, home or the local free chargers at like Kohls, etc.

4thPcar

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Previously: 914, 944 and 997 911S. Now Taycan
Country flag
I was traveling home from Los Angeles last Thursday evening. The trip is two hours. I took me four hours to arrive home because none of the charging stations I was going to were working. If they did work, they would get a fault a few minutes in. At first, I wondered it there was an issue with my car, but there were no cars at any of there and another customer was having issues as well. My anxiety was very high as I kept thinking my car would die. I called Electrify America and they said there was nothing wrong with their charging stations. Another issue I had was the first time I charged there, the pump would not released from my car. I also called them that time and the lady kept attempting to reset the pump. After 30 minutes, it finally released. I ensured the car was unlocked and used the release button prior to this, but it was not working. The only good in these situations is that I had nowhere to be when these issues arose. However, I am not happy that these are things people are dealing with.
I am from San Diego (and Detroit, coincidentally) and have had same issues as you report here. I am about 1 for 4 in terms of a clean, error-free experience. I suppose this is what kind of experience you get when there is such little competition driving improvement.

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
The majority of my local EA charger banks have all been working fine.

Also Plug and Charge has worked seamlessly on approx 90% of those working chargers but I'll occasionally encounter a charger where the communication between vehicle and charging station doesn't seem to work. I simply switch to the next charger that's open and P&C works no problem, so no general network issue.

I encountered my first broken chargers in months at the local Irvine Spectrum charging bank where a couple different chargers were offline (out of 6) and one of the remaining working chargers, P&C was not working either.
Sponsored