WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD, 1969 911t
Country flag
Is Zap Map Premium worth it in the UK? I can't actually see what it gives you the free version, Porsche nav and Google don't.

Its on Andriod play but requires a Premium subscription to work in the car.

Cheers

Wayne.
Sponsored

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
Is Zap Map Premium worth it in the UK? I can't actually see what it gives you the free version, Porsche nav and Google don't.

Its on Andriod play but requires a Premium subscription to work in the car.

Cheers

Wayne.
I did have Zap Map Premium but chose not to renew as I never used it due to it being unreliable for route planning and even less reliable for charging information. Likewise Chargemap, ABRP, WattsUp &, Chargepoint, all of which also integrate with Car Play. If I’m going on a new route I first check out whether I can use Ionity and if not then use WattsUp to find suitable charge points on the route. Then I use Waze, Google or Apple Maps to plan the route and open in Car Play.

I’ve stopped using the car’s charging planner and navigation system after two disastrous trips where it sent me to roads which were closed, and had been for several days, or blocked. in both cases I had to use Waze to get me out!

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did have Zap Map Premium but chose not to renew as I never used it due to it being unreliable for route planning and even less reliable for charging information. Likewise Chargemap, ABRP, WattsUp &, Chargepoint, all of which also integrate with Car Play. If I’m going on a new route I first check out whether I can use Ionity and if not then use WattsUp to find suitable charge points on the route. Then I use Waze, Google or Apple Maps to plan the route and open in Car Play.

I’ve stopped using the car’s charging planner and navigation system after two disastrous trips where it sent me to roads which were closed, and had been for several days, or blocked. in both cases I had to use Waze to get me out!
Thanks mate appreciate the reply. I've never really used Waze or Wattsup. Will those appear on Car Play?

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
Thanks mate appreciate the reply. I've never really used Waze or Wattsup. Will those appear on Car Play?
Yes. However I note that you’re on Android so not sure if they will on Android Play. Should do but remember to check the settings :like:

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes. However I note that you’re on Android so not sure if they will on Android Play. Should do but remember to check the settings :like:
Perfect thanks mate I'll do that. I'll be moving back to Apple in November anyways. :like:

4EVer

First Name
Viv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S, iD3 Pro S, E-Up!
Country flag
Perfect thanks mate I'll do that. I'll be moving back to Apple in November anyways. :like:
Smart move! iPhone 14 should be out by then too!

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Waze is excellent satnav and much quicker at picking up road problems ahead etc than car satnavs. Also has warnings for 'safety cameras', so worth keeping on in the back ground even if you've no route programmed in.

However, i thing you need to use the porsche route planner for long journeys as it pre-charges the battery to optimise fast charging when you near the destination charging station etc. Maybe use waze to check your route before you set off, or switch over to Porsche satnav when your 20 miles away from the charger...

OP
OP
WRC_1S

WRC_1S

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Waze is excellent satnav and much quicker at picking up road problems ahead etc than car satnavs. Also has warnings for 'safety cameras', so worth keeping on in the back ground even if you've no route programmed in.

However, i thing you need to use the porsche route planner for long journeys as it pre-charges the battery to optimise fast charging when you near the destination charging station etc. Maybe use waze to check your route before you set off, or switch over to Porsche satnav when your 20 miles away from the charger...
Good tips thanks mate. Will take a bit getting used to but seems straightforward enough I think.

We are off to Wales from the NE in 2 weeks. Although I could do it without charge stop I want to too make sure I arrive with plenty of charge. I'll play about with route planning over the next week.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good tips thanks mate. Will take a bit getting used to but seems straightforward enough I think.

We are off to Wales from the NE in 2 weeks. Although I could do it without charge stop I want to too make sure I arrive with plenty of charge. I'll play about with route planning over the next week.
I'm still a long trip virgin, but i'd definitely choose where i planned to fill up and head there/set as destination, rather than let the car take me on a mystery tour! The car route planner (on the app at least) seems to take you to places to fill up for 5 minutes and daft stuff like that!

good luck.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Car's charging planner has it's own logic :facepalm:
It's useful to calculate SoC until you don't need to charge.
Today, "he" navigated me to a charging station, about 6km away from my destination.
I started with 17% of SoC, with 6% at work, but "he" asked me to drive to the charging station for a 5 minutes, so I'd come to final destination with 8% SoC :headbang:

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Car's charging planner has it's own logic :facepalm:
It's useful to calculate SoC until you don't need to charge.
Today, "he" navigated me to a charging station, about 6km away from my destination.
I started with 17% of SoC, with 6% at work, but "he" asked me to drive to the charging station for a 5 minutes, so I'd come to final destination with 8% SoC :headbang:
It's dumb. I believe there is a setting in the car (not the app) somewhere that allows you to set your arrival soc. I've not found it yet, and not sure if it's something you need to input each time or not.

Reactions: B61

Gnasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I’ve had some hairy moments with the Porsche sat nav - the worst part is the voice directions are rubbish and confusing (telling me to turn RIGHT onto a motorway junction which isn’t possible!).

I tend to use Google maps on CarPlay unless I’ve got to stop for a charge. Once I’m charged I’m switching to Waze or Googlemaps.

The annoying thing is that my Q5 has such a good inbuilt sat nav which tells you important things like the next turnoff and next available services so not sure why they didn’t share this!
Sponsored