First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Morning all,

Would like some opinions on Zappi or Hypervolt please.
Looking to install in the next 3-4 weeks.
App usage, connectivity and day to day use experience would be helpful.
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Morning all,

Would like some opinions on Zappi or Hypervolt please.
Looking to install in the next 3-4 weeks.
App usage, connectivity and day to day use experience would be helpful.
Why would you not use the standard EVSE (Porsche Mobile Charger Plus) you get 'free' with your car? Do you have a specific reason - only ask as someone else posted similar and didn't realise that they got one supplied with the car?

Note that these are not 'chargers' but Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment - the physical charger for AC or DC charging is inside the car and not the box you connect to. EVSEs simply provide a safe means to connect your car to your home (or public) electrical supply and serve no other purpose.

All programming of timers and profiles (geo-location aware) is controlled via the car (PCM) or via the My Porsche App (or web site). You do not need anything else.

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
I have an EVSE (not installed yet) for my house because the sockets that I did have in the garage wouldn't be compatible with the plug needed for 3 phase 7kW+ power and there they are currently discounted due to the Swedish government promoting green tech.

It also works with my electricity company and the solar power I will be getting.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have an EVSE (not installed yet) for my house because the sockets that I did have in the garage wouldn't be compatible with the plug needed for 3 phase 7kW+ power and there they are currently discounted due to the Swedish government promoting green tech.

It also works with my electricity company and the solar power I will be getting.
7kW doesn't require 3 phase - single phase will provide 7.4kW / 7.6kW @ 32A - can't you get the correct receptacle installed instead?

To go higher then for sure 3 phase would be needed for 11kW and onwards to 22kW (19.6kW useable).

timc3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo, BMW 330e
Country flag
7kW doesn't require 3 phase - single phase will provide 7.4kW / 7.6kW @ 32A - can't you get the correct receptacle installed instead?

To go higher then for sure 3 phase would be needed for 11kW and onwards to 22kW (19.6kW useable).
Yeah, you are correct thats why I said 7kW+. I will have a box capable of up to 22kW (though my main supply to the house probably won't deliver that unless I upgrade my subscription). I am 75% sure where I am going to put the receptacle has 3 phase behind it for some really old equipment that I believe the previous owner had in the garage and I am 100% sure I can get the cables there if not as it's about a meter from the main house fuse box.

I have 3 phase in multiple places around the house. The electricians can't believe how advanced this house was for the 70s with the electrical supply.

Funnily enough though in my studio/office, which was the workshop in the house has a 5 pin industrial socket which I could have probably plugged straight into - though it's covered up with 50cm of sound insulation now and I can't get a car anywhere near it.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Yeah, you are correct thats why I said 7kW+. I will have a box capable of up to 22kW (though my main supply to the house probably won't deliver that unless I upgrade my subscription). I am 75% sure where I am going to put the receptacle has 3 phase behind it for some really old equipment that I believe the previous owner had in the garage and I am 100% sure I can get the cables there if not as it's about a meter from the main house fuse box.

I have 3 phase in multiple places around the house. The electricians can't believe how advanced this house was for the 70s with the electrical supply.

Funnily enough though in my studio/office, which was the workshop in the house has a 5 pin industrial socket which I could have probably plugged straight into - though it's covered up with 50cm of sound insulation now and I can't get a car anywhere near it.
Understood - so I assume you've gone 22kW AC on the car to get the most out of it?

OP
OP
G7SUM

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Why would you not use the standard EVSE (Porsche Mobile Charger Plus) you get 'free' with your car? Do you have a specific reason - only ask as someone else posted similar and didn't realise that they got one supplied with the car?

Note that these are not 'chargers' but Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment - the physical charger for AC or DC charging is inside the car and not the box you connect to. EVSEs simply provide a safe means to connect your car to your home (or public) electrical supply and serve no other purpose.

All programming of timers and profiles (geo-location aware) is controlled via the car (PCM) or via the My Porsche App (or web site). You do not need anything else.

Thanks for the info. I am aware the car comes with the mobile charger plus (Pill shape). The issue is that the Box to house it costs £624 + the cost of installation is £275+ which takes me to just under £900.
I can buy a Zappi or Hypervolt including the £350 Grant for around £900. I can then access the additional grant in Scotland of £250. Both of the above also allow upgrades to use Solar if i consider in the future.
This takes it down to £650.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I am aware the car comes with the mobile charger plus (Pill shape). The issue is that the Box to house it costs £624 + the cost of installation is £275+ which takes me to just under £900.
I can buy a Zappi or Hypervolt including the £350 Grant for around £900. I can then access the additional grant in Scotland of £250. Both of the above also allow upgrades to use Solar if i consider in the future.
This takes it down to £650.
You don't need a box to house it - IP55 rated - better if some weather protection but not essential. I have the dock for my PMCC inside my garage and my neighbour has the PMCC with no dock mounted on an outside wall (no shelter).

PMC+ and PMCC support solar if you add the Home Environment Manager (HEM - or equivalent).

OP
OP
G7SUM

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
You don't need a box to house it - IP55 rated - better if some weather protection but not essential. I have the dock for my PMCC inside my garage and my neighbour has the PMCC with no dock mounted on an outside wall (no shelter).

PMC+ and PMCC support solar if you add the Home Environment Manager (HEM - or equivalent).

Thats very interesting indeed. I take it i'd need to take this with me if I was on my travels etc if visiting family etc to charge. I'm new to all this................appreciate your help.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thats very interesting indeed. I take it i'd need to take this with me if I was on my travels etc if visiting family etc to charge. I'm new to all this................appreciate your help.
It is intended to be portable but can become a faff to unplug, pack away and then plug in again. For mobile use it really is a measure of last resort for situations where your nearest charging point is beyond the available range in the car.

If your intended destination is already plumbed for an EVSE then I could see merit but if not then you are left with a 3 pin 13A supply connection which will take days (literally) to fully charge your car. Glaciers move faster (no joke).

AC charging is plentiful in most towns and cities (download ZapMap and take a look where you would likely travel) but ideally (for speed of charging) you always want to use a DC charging point. Again ZapMap is your friend - ensure you have the filters set to display CCS AC / DC chargers and ignore the rest.

Increasingly garage forecourts are installing charging points so keep an eye on that too.

Sign up for ChargePlace Scotland - get your RFID card - look at their map of charging locations (hundreds) and you'll soon realise whether you need an EVSE with you at all times or not (I would suggest not).

In summary, you really should not need to take your PMC+ with you unless you are off grid totally.

OP
OP
G7SUM

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
It is intended to be portable but can become a faff to unplug, pack away and then plug in again. For mobile use it really is a measure of last resort for situations where your nearest charging point is beyond the available range in the car.

AC charging is plentiful in most towns and cities (download ZapMap and take a look where you would likely travel) but ideally (for speed of charging) you always want to use a DC charging point. Again ZapMap is your friend - ensure you have the filters set to display CCS AC / DC chargers and ignore the rest.

Increasingly garage forecourts are installing charging points so keep an eye on that too.

Sign up for ChargePlace Scotland - get your RFID card - look at their map of charging locations (hundreds) and you'll soon realise whether you need an EVSE with you at all times or not (I would suggest not).

In summary, you really should not need to take your PMC+ with you unless you are off grid totally.

Thank you. Was trying to access the grants but now not required by the looks of it All I need is my GTS ST now.

OP
OP
G7SUM

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Thank you. Was trying to access the grants but now not required by the looks of it All I need is my GTS ST now.
Another note, do I require the energy manager etc to make manage the load etc?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Another note, do I require the energy manager etc to make manage the load etc?
Yep you'll need a HEM - I'm not an expert but as far as I'm aware you'll need such a device to manage the load between solar and non-solar. There is a chap in UK on the forum who has been through the pain - have a search.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
No grants on the Porsche stuff (bizarre I know but...).

You'll have a bit of wait yet - I'm expecting mine in Nov'22 but not convinced it will all fall into place.

OP
OP
G7SUM

G7SUM

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST 2023
Country flag
Yep you'll need a HEM - I'm not an expert but as far as I'm aware you'll need such a device to manage the load between solar and non-solar. There is a chap in UK on the forum who has been through the pain - have a search.
this is where the costs just don’t make sense. If I order a Zappi, all of this is included. ?
Sponsored