terryS

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Bentley GTC
Country flag
Experienced the same problem one time about a month ago. Simply disconnected the car as it was fully charged, unplugged the charger and have had no issues since.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
it's one of 3 things

1. a bad PMCC (the Porsche Charger)
2. a bad charger on your vehicle
3. a bad NEMA 14-50 electrical circuit

in order to diagnose this you'll need to use a different charger - or take the charger to a different plug - or take your vehicle & charger to the Porsche dealer for diagnostics.

my bet is on a bad PMCC - they are kinda finicky

we can't tell anything or solve any problems until we have some more equipment to try and swap to diagnose which element is at fault.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
it's one of 3 things

1. a bad PMCC (the Porsche Charger)
2. a bad charger on your vehicle
3. a bad NEMA 14-50 electrical circuit
You can test 2. by charging with the AC (not the fast DC) charger they usually have at Electrify America.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
I spent about 3 weeks fighting through something similar. Here's my resolution (copied from an earlier post). I'd encourage you to
1. add grounding rods at the power connection to your house if you don't already have them.
2. ask your power company to check your power to the house. Mine (Eversource) came out the same day and was super helpful!
Finally, the dealer swapped PMCC's with me and that made no difference. My experience is that it was not the PMCC and was not the car. It was truly a grounding issue as the error states. My sense is that the PMCC is less tolerant of "normal" US power variations or grounding than other chargers. I asked Porsche NA to provide the specs which would be really helpful for the electrician but nothing. The only specs I could find was the Voltage range of 120v - 240v. There must be more and it would probably be helpful to electricians installing the PMCC.

===== Post from Nov 20 =====
I too had this issue and it was frustrating. I finally solved the issue by adding two grounding rods at the power connection to my house and / or by the electric company moving my feed to a closer transformer so there was less line voltage drop under load. Both of those were done the same day so I'm not really sure which fixed the problem.

What did not work was the Porsche dealer checking the car and charger, the electric company replaced some of the power lines coming to my house, my electrician added a dedicated ground from the pmcc outlet to the copper water main that was my main house ground, the electrician checked/tightened all the connections in the breaker box.

You may want to ask your electrician or preferably your electric company to come out and test the line under load. In my case each line was dropping by ~4-5% under the load of the charger. The electric company in my case did a separate load test at the meter and determined that the drop was on the boarder of what they consider acceptable. The electric company also recommended adding the ground rods - this is apparently now code in MA anyway but my house was built prior and just used the water main in the house as ground.

It would be super helpful if Porsche provided clear detailed specifications for the pmcc so our electricians can figure out what to fix. I asked our dealer and they asked Porsche but we never heard back.

Good luck with it!
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...t-possible-grounding-device-error.1868/page-3

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I spent about 3 weeks fighting through something similar. Here's my resolution (copied from an earlier post). I'd encourage you to
1. add grounding rods at the power connection to your house if you don't already have them.
2. ask your power company to check your power to the house. Mine (Eversource) came out the same day and was super helpful!
Finally, the dealer swapped PMCC's with me and that made no difference. My experience is that it was not the PMCC and was not the car. It was truly a grounding issue as the error states. My sense is that the PMCC is less tolerant of "normal" US power variations or grounding than other chargers. I asked Porsche NA to provide the specs which would be really helpful for the electrician but nothing. The only specs I could find was the Voltage range of 120v - 240v. There must be more and it would probably be helpful to electricians installing the PMCC.

===== Post from Nov 20 =====
I too had this issue and it was frustrating. I finally solved the issue by adding two grounding rods at the power connection to my house and / or by the electric company moving my feed to a closer transformer so there was less line voltage drop under load. Both of those were done the same day so I'm not really sure which fixed the problem.

What did not work was the Porsche dealer checking the car and charger, the electric company replaced some of the power lines coming to my house, my electrician added a dedicated ground from the pmcc outlet to the copper water main that was my main house ground, the electrician checked/tightened all the connections in the breaker box.

You may want to ask your electrician or preferably your electric company to come out and test the line under load. In my case each line was dropping by ~4-5% under the load of the charger. The electric company in my case did a separate load test at the meter and determined that the drop was on the boarder of what they consider acceptable. The electric company also recommended adding the ground rods - this is apparently now code in MA anyway but my house was built prior and just used the water main in the house as ground.

It would be super helpful if Porsche provided clear detailed specifications for the pmcc so our electricians can figure out what to fix. I asked our dealer and they asked Porsche but we never heard back.

Good luck with it!
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...t-possible-grounding-device-error.1868/page-3
I can confirm that the PMCC is rather sensitive to proper grounding. There was a grounding mistake made during my 240V line installation to the garage. The PMCC refused to charge whereas my mobile Mustart charger did not seem to mind and charged right along. When the grounding was corrected, the PMCC worked fine and has not had an issue since. Nothing wrong with charger or car, just with the electrical installation in my garage.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I echo the previous comments about grounding. My garage's electrical subpanel has its own grounding rod. More grounding never hurts especially with high power lines.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I can confirm that the PMCC is rather sensitive to proper grounding. There was a grounding mistake made during my 240V line installation to the garage. The PMCC refused to charge whereas my mobile Mustart charger did not seem to mind and charged right along. When the grounding was corrected, the PMCC worked fine and has not had an issue since. Nothing wrong with charger or car, just with the electrical installation in my garage.
Have not seen a schematic or the insides of the PMCC, but highly suspect it uses a toroidal transformer similar the ground-fault circuit breakers in your kitchen or bathroom. They function by measuring the current coming in one wire and leaving by the other wire. If they are not the same, some of the current went by another path - a “ground fault”. The PMCC may use the more stringent consumer difference rather than the more forgiving industrial level.

MartyMeatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
It's likely a grounding problem. The error is probably a ground fault error. The way ground fault errors are generated is if the current between the two conductors is not balanced. If the current isn't balanced the some of it must be going into ground. Current should never flow into ground (unless there's something wrong).

The easy way to check is to disconnect the ground. This will open the ground return path. However this is a code violation and potentially dangerous. I would only do this as a diagnostic.

If your electric service isn't grounded properly there may be a high resistance in the return leg which will encourage current to return on the ground which will trigger a ground fault. It doesn't take much.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
It appears I have discovered the culprit: the car needs to be locked when charging. We have now successfully charged it three times without getting the error message, and the only difference was that the car was locked!
Interesting. I charge mine unlocked have yet to see any error message.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Interesting. I charge mine unlocked have yet to see any error message.
Same - charge unlocked in my garage all the time. So the good news is it's working for you (for now) but it may be masking an underlying problem that will rear it's head again in the future.

Basebull7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I got the message on my app 5 minutes ago and my car is not even plugged in! What’s that all about?
Sponsored