felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
This I understand but here in Europe it will be diffcult to have an 80 amp connection at your home. This will not be possible for most residential connections.
No problems at all if you have 3-phase. its 32Amp 3-Phase connection which most homes have available if they want, at least in Switzerland and Sweden...……..

Also if you have done a long route in the morning and need to do something later during the day it s very useful to have as quick charging at home as possible. I use this functionality all the time...… And its a massive difference between the (S and X) and the 3s charging rates... luckily the 3 has a much smaller battery so the difference in total time is somewhat diminished.....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
25? Tesla Roadster/22 Tesla MYP/21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
This I understand but here in Europe it will be diffcult to have an 80 amp connection at your home. This will not be possible for most residential connections.
And last I checked the Taycan is sold around the world not just in Europe....

Also if you have done a long route in the morning and need to do something later during the day it s very useful to have as quick charging at home as possible. I use this functionality all the time...… And its a massive difference between the (S and X) and the 3s charging rates...
Exactly!

In the age of the EV why would you NOT want faster charging options?!
Until we get to the point where we can charge to 100% in ~5 minutes any and all faster charging options are great.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
The overwhelming majority of homes in the USA have 100 to 150 amp breaker panels (fuse boxes). Homes built since the 1990s tend to have 150 to 200 amps. Only more expensive and much larger homes have 200 and over.

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Only more expensive and much larger homes have 200 and over. Even in the USA there is a problem.
I thought were were on the Taycan Forum talking about a $160,000-$250,000 USD EV. I don't see this being an issue at all.

The issue I am asking about is if the car internals can support it or if it is a delayed option. This was the intent of my original post. If your country, state, town, house, breaker panel whatever can't support it that's fine but it has no bearing on my question or this discussion.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
In the age of the EV why would you NOT want faster charging options?!
Until we get to the point where we can charge to 100% in ~5 minutes any and all faster charging options are great.
Yeah, ideally you'd want it charged at least in a matter of hours

OP
OP
Jenner

Jenner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I just found these two images online...the 150kW DC option is mentioned which leads me to believe there is won't be a 19.2kW internal option at all for the first generation Taycan:

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW (AC) charging option on Taycan? liy16f7duqertysrcfk9

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW (AC) charging option on Taycan? pyipkh24gvwwrcqi1vgt

For reference I also attached the brochure page I referenced before showing 19.2kW and 350kW (in writing from Porsche) which it seems Porsche backpedaled on both.

After thinking about this more, knowing Porsche's strategy of incremental upgrades they are "saving" it for the next gen as a "feature." In that same thought pattern I suspect the styling will inch more towards the Mission E as the Taycan generations progress.
Can't give away everything from the start right?

Attachments

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wouldn’t jump to being quite so cynical off the bat. It’s still early days for this EV platform and faster charging requires more cooling, and if not done correctly will age the cells faster. This Taycan is obviously 1.0. I can’t think of any reason Porsche wouldn’t have done better on range and charging if they could, given the Tesla specs.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I wouldn’t jump to being quite so cynical off the bat. It’s still early days for this EV platform and faster charging requires more cooling, and if not done correctly will age the cells faster. This Taycan is obviously 1.0. I can’t think of any reason Porsche wouldn’t have done better on range and charging if they could, given the Tesla specs.
I’m looking forward to see real life test in higher speed compared with tesla.. like over 120km/h with active driving...

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m looking forward to see real life test in higher speed compared with tesla.. like over 120km/h with active driving...
I’ve driven a Model 3, performance trim, a fair bit. It has zero problems going 120km/h for a couple hours nonstop. No, what I want to know is if the Taycan feels like a Porsche at 150km/h. that’s pretty much all I care about here. The range and charging aren’t impressive but they are adequate.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’ve driven a Model 3, performance trim, a fair bit. It has zero problems going 120km/h for a couple hours nonstop. No, what I want to know is if the Taycan feels like a Porsche at 150km/h. that’s pretty much all I care about here. The range and charging aren’t impressive but they are adequate.
Me too, a friend of mine drow the Taycan for a week ago and he was very impressed..

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
I spoke with my Porsche salesman today ... Porsche is offering a free retrofit of the 22kW on-board charger when available in late 2020.
I hope he‘s right ...

Jraeven

First Name
Joop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 Turbo (cab), Cayenne S, AMG GT-C, Audi R8
Country flag
Normally the German sales people are well informed! Could it be that a increase of the on-board charger is just a software update?