2020 Porsche Taycan Info / Specs / FAQ

Discussion in 'General Taycan Topics' started by Tye, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Tye

Tye Administrator

#1 Tye, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Taycan name announced June 9, 2018

Taycan, pronounced "tie-kahn," will be the production name of the Mission E concept, which had by now acquired its own brand recognition. Porsche says that the name approximately translates to "lively young horse" in some Asian dialects.

Arrives in showrooms late 2019 - early 2020.

Expected base price: approximately $75,000.

Three trim levels, each with different power output rated at 402, 536, and 670 horsepower, respectively. All models will have all-wheel-drive at the launch, but Porsche hasn’t ruled out offering a rear wheel drive variant in the future.

The Taycan will be powered by a pair of electric motors with a combined output of over 600 hp, but the kicker is that the rear motor will be more powerful than the front motor to make it more of a rear-biased car. The permanent magnet synchronous motors will also work to achieve braking, rather than relying on disc brakes alone. Expect two-speed gearboxes for city and highway driving -- EVs don't usually have these, but it really does make sense to have a taller gear to maintain acceleration at the top end of the performance envelope.

Porsche indicated earlier this year that the Taycan will be capable of sprints from 0-60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds, and it will hit 125 mph in "less than" 12 seconds on its way to a top speed that will be somewhere north of 155 mph. Porsche execs have indicated that the 3.5-second launches will be repeatable all day long, in a jab at Tesla's asterisk-marked launch times.

Real world range is claimed to be 300 miles.

800-volt battery system. With this system, Porsche claims the Taycon will be able to recharge to 80% (about 250 miles) in about 20 minutes. The obvious problem with that is, while it sounds great, there’s simply no infrastructure that can deliver 800-volts. Unless Porsche takes a page from Tesla and starts investing hundreds of millions of dollars into an 800-volt network of charging stations, we’re afraid they will be few and far between.

3. The performance

Porsche indicated earlier this year that the Taycan will be capable of sprints from 0-60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds, and it will hit 125 mph in "less than" 12 seconds on its way to a top speed that will be somewhere north of 155 mph. Porsche execs have indicated that the 3.5-second launches will be repeatable all day long, in a jab at Tesla's asterisk-marked launch times.

The Taycan will also serve up multiple driving modes, as you'd expect, to tailor its lithium-ion battery and motor performance to the type of driving you're doing. This means you'll be able to hypermile when you don't need the full capabilities of the motors to save battery juice, and you'll also be able to use full power when you want.

4. The range

Porsche is aiming at 500 kilometers on the notoriously optimistic New European Driving Cycle, which works out to 310 miles. Real-world mileage will vary, of course, depending on driving conditions, but we expect it to land a bit south of the nominal 310-mile figure -- perhaps around 250 miles -- judging by how the NEDC driving cycle usually translates to EPA figures.

5. Fast charging

Porsche says that owner will be able to juice the Taycan up to 80 percent in just 15 minutes with an 800-volt charger; this works out to 250 miles if we take the 310-mile range at face value ... and if you can find an 800-volt charger.

"Our new electric sports car is strong and dependable; it’s a vehicle that can consistently cover long distances and that epitomizes freedom," Oliver Blume, chairman of Porsche AG’s executive board said this year.

6. The soundtrack

Since the Taycan will be an EV, its powertrain won't really generate a sound aside from tire and wind noise. But it will have some sort of artificially generated noise like many other EVs, as Porsche has hinted, that will be audible to those outside. We won't keep our fingers crossed in hopes of hearing a flat-six howl; the current repertoire of EV sounds leans toward electric hums that sound like "Star Trek: The Original Series" props.

7. Cross Turismo

Porsche has confirmed that the Taycan will also spawn a wagon-like crossover nicely (and closely) previewed by the Mission E Cross Turismo concept. Expect to see a five-door body style with a rear hatch and a raised ride height in addition to a revised suspension. The final product will still need to differentiate itself a bit from the Panamera Sport Turismo and Macan, so expect something akin to a raised station wagon.

"The key for the Panamera Sport Turismo was versatility. In the case of the Mission E Cross Turismo, the focus was more on this combination of different vehicle characteristics,” Porsche chief designer Michael Mauer told Automotive News Europe earlier this year. "Take this car in the morning to the meeting in the city, and in the evening, you go to your chalet in the Swiss mountains."

2. Viand

Viand Member

Vehicles:
    Still looking
    Please tell me the 300 mile range is WLTP range and not NEDC.. ?

3. Toolate

Toolate Member

Vehicles:
    2017 M240i
  4. hawc

hawc Member

Vehicles:
    VW Golf R
    Hopefully cold won't affect it too much.

5. cometguy

cometguy New Member

Vehicles:
    2018 Panamera 4 Sport Turismo E-Hybrid
    I imagine that cold will affect Porsche EVs like it does all battery-powered cars -- as much as 1/3 to 1/2 drop in capacity when temps are below freezing.

I'm glad to hear that Porsche is committing to mass-produce something like the Cross Turismo concept car. I can't wait for that to come out! I like the name, too -- would prefer Cross Turismo to Taycan. And I like the higher ground clearance, and it being shorter than a Panamera, so something like a cross between a Sport Turismo and a Macan. If I was running Porsche, I'd also bring this vehicle out in PHEV form (and am hoping that they'll do the same with the Macan in the next couple of years), because there are many of us who still want an ICE for those long road trips or instances where we just don't have time to plug in but need to go further than the battery range is currently charged for. I have a 2018 E-Hybrid Panamera, and it is absolutely fabulous -- best car I've ever driven, by far (better than the non-Hybrid Panamera Turbo, to me, by a long shot); the only problem is the 14-kWh battery capacity (I'd love to see something more like 18- to 25 kWh in a PHEV, and then I'd be extremely satisfied).

6. Zlaja

Zlaja New Member

Vehicles:
    BMW 520D
    Are dimensions of Taycan known?

7. DallasCajun

DallasCajun Member

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicles:
    2017 BMW 540i, 2018 Infiniti Q60S
    That's exactly what I'm looking for first. I've owned a Panamera S, and as much as I liked it...it's just too damn big for my tastes. I'm hoping the Taycan is closer in size to a 5er/E-class. I think I read somewhere that the Taycan is expected to be about 191 inches long, about 7-8 inches shorter than the current Panamera. Hoping that's close.

8. 3DBB

3DBB Member

First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicles:
    BMW R1150R
    What are the chances that the elimination of wing mirrors makes it to the production model?

9. DallasCajun

DallasCajun Member

First Name:
    Will
    Vehicles:
    2017 BMW 540i, 2018 Infiniti Q60S
    In the US? Little to none. Too much bureaucratic red-tape to get accomplished in less than a year. But given Audi just launched the e-Tron with camera-based side mirrors everywhere other than US, I can see the Intl versions having something similar.

10. MarcG

MarcG Member

Vehicles:
    P85D
    I found this slide in a YouTube video that gives a good idea of both exterior and interior dimensions as compared to a Panamera and a 911:

3E053B78-A814-4243-9E46-B53EFE508EDE.jpeg

DallasCajun likes this.
  11. felixtb

felixtb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    Porsche: Taycan reserved; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, 3, new roadster reserved
    architect
    Ooh.... that's a very tall car...… I had been really hoping for something close to the 911 height and not much more but this is closer to the Panamera which I am not at all a fan of, specially its proportions...……….. Always find it stupid when people talk about game changing aspects on the tesla forums.... this actually could be game changing even for me...….

David Hsieh likes this.
  12. PAG_J1

PAG_J1 Active Member

Vehicles:
    No information
    That‘s from a Porsche internal Powerpoint Company presentation.
    Don‘t know why people leak pictures of it.
    But yeah size between Panamera and 911, seating position will be similiar to the 911.

D Wray's Garage likes this.
  13. TAEKON

TAEKON Member

Vehicles:
    550M R8 S4 300B
    Anyone with newer/more definitive info on length??? (I'm severely garage-length challenged.....) Hoping for <190, expecting >193.....:confused:

14. TheSnape

TheSnape Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Ford Fiesta
    PAG_J1 said earlier it's 4.96m long, and just 1.38m high - basically the same dimensions as the Audi E Tron

15. SHY

SHY Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Svein Harald
    Vehicles:
    Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
    IT Systems Engineer