Featured 2020 Taycan 4S Revealed by Porsche!

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by bihus, Oct 13, 2019.

1. KensingtonPark

Vehicles:
    2017 Audi S7, 2017 Volvo XC90 T8
    Totally agree with both points. I am simply noting that the performance numbers in this range are a pretty small factor. I think that--away from early adopters and enthusiasts like those of us on this forum--the way most people consider cars within a price range first before deciding on a car. Then they compare what they can get for that money. Enthusiasts are the opposite: they compare performance first, then look at the money. I can attest to this from my friends and neighbors (who are largely not enthusiasts) who have purchased and drive high-end vehicles. So some of these people really will compare a fully loaded Model S Performance (~$110K) against some version of the Taycan 4S (~$142K) because it is close enough. When the number was $200K, a lot of them wouldn't have even known that the Taycan even existed, in much the same way as my friends who drive S Class MBs don't know anything about Bentleys.

charliemathilde likes this.
  2. TheSnape

TheSnape Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Ford Fiesta
    Yeah, though to be honest, I think the Taycan has a lot of the true 911 spirit, and so many of the qualities you find in great sports cars - looks, speed, acceleration, handling

3. felixtb

felixtb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    Porsche: Taycan ordered; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, 3, new roadster reserved
    architect
    my point exactly.. Mr. C. is just growling because he is not convinced about EVs in general so needs to find a problem where there in reality isn’t really one except for the weight but even this has been hidden soooo well that it has been reduced to a minor problem.

4. TheSnape

Vehicles:
    Ford Fiesta
    I really don't understand that. How would the 911 spirit be affected in any way by the propulsion system it's using? I would say it has more to do with the looks, speed, acceleration and handling. I actually think that the Taycan, personally, looks even more beautiful than the 911, though I'm slightly younger, and it's hands down the most beautiful in my lifetime

I do think the weight is a problem, it handles really well - even compared to petrol/diesel cars. But I think if they get the weight down, maybe by lighter battery pack, it'll handle better than pretty much any car full stop, I really hope they refine it enough so one day it'll be competitive with somebody like Lotus

Rotordude and charliemathilde like this.
  5. felixtb

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    architect
    What I mean is that the beholder needs to be in tune with driving an EV rather than an ICE since the actual driving experience is slightly different and if not in tune then will feel out of sync with experience. And on your second point I am absolutely sure that in just a few years from now with new chemistries in the battery packs the manufacturers will be able to get down to similar weight situations as ICEs today and with a hefty range as well but maybe not as comfortable as and ICE range. However in a few years more even this parameter will be similar to ICE and then you will have your dream. The EV sports cars of 10years from now will out perform in every parameter the then older generation ICEs of today. And nobody will be missing the old ICE experience...... At least in my vision of the coming 10 years.... :)

6. Pyry

Pyry Member

Vehicles:
    993 turbo
    People still love driving classic cars even though modern cars are objectively better. I don't think that's going to change.

charliemathilde likes this.
  7. Friedrich

Friedrich Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Friedrich
    Vehicles:
    Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
    Commercial Real Estate Landlord
    Yes......the car I miss the most is my first car....the 1966 VW Beetle with a 1300 cc engine. I had trouble getting to 95km as TOP SPEED up a hill on a highway as maximum speed! Looked at buying a replacement now and in the USA, the ones in good shape are more expensive than a 1924 Ford Model T, around $25k

8. TheSnape

Vehicles:
    Ford Fiesta
    Yeah, but it's a Porsche. Range and comfort should be the least of the priorities - if they're considered as priorities at all. But I just really hope they try and get the weight down as much as possible and invest in it as much as possible. If instead of investing in developing an electric Macan they instead just work on developing the most lightweight batteries possible, they hopefully could have it on production sooner - at least as a special edition of the Taycan if not mass market?

9. felixtb

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    architect
    sorry not talking about comfort just comforting range me aiming longer than today so a good high speed range.... and yes that would be great but it’s a bit hit and miss for the time being. there are sooo many chemistries out there in different porto stages that it’s tough to understand whet will actually be the battery pack of tomorrow...... and yes they will have to be more energy dense and therefore lighter and probably more durable and can give more energy at any specific temperature and interval...... so with you on all comments just wanted to say that the comfort was more range rather than creature comforts.... :)

10. Bodizypher

Bodizypher New Member

Vehicles:
    Macan Turbo with PP, Boxster S
    So I thought I had made up my mind and was going for the 4S but then this post from Jenner pointing out the discrepancy in power outside of overboost really has me thinking. It looks like Porsche has increased the overboost on the 4S to give it that quick 0-60 time but in general driving it might feel a LOT slower than the Turbo (speculation of course, as I’ve never driven it!).

Anyone else on the fence between the 4S and the Turbo? Can you help me decide?!

11. Singularity

Singularity Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Audi A7
    In the end it pretty much comes down to how much you value that extra speed. I thought about this quite a bit and for me it came down to the fact that the Turbo was over my initial budget and I didn't value the difference enough to justify throwing my budget to the trash bin. With my extras the 4S vs Turbo price difference was 37k€. I ordered the 4S (with the large battery).

The critical issue for my own decision was: is the 4S faster than the car I'm currently driving? The answer is yes. It has a 10% better hp/weight ratio (normal mode), beats the 0-60, 1/4 mile etc clearly. It has the advantage of the instant electric torque which my current car does not. And to be honest I feel that the ~330hp turbo diesel I'm driving is pretty fast already, I don't really need a much faster car than that. To me it was enough that the 4S isn't slower, and it certainly isn't. It is no Taycan Turbo for sure, but I'll save the 37k€ which I can find other uses for, most certainly. It also helped my decision that the 4S (with the large battery) has the best range of all the variants.

So, to summarize, no one can decide this for you. You just have to think it through and decide what you want to spend your money on.

12. charliemathilde

charliemathilde Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    turn it to 11 ;-)

svp6 and TheSnape like this.
  13. HK111

HK111 Member

First Name:
    Henrik
    Vehicles:
    Corvette C7 Stingray, Mercedes GL 320, Mercedes V 4Matic, Taycan 4S (Jan/2020)
    Founder
    Hello,

As written above, that is a very individual decision. I was happy that the 4S was becoming available so quickly because I think the price/performance point is much better. That makes the decision easier, but both models would be affordable in my case. I had the suspicion that the Turbo S was overpriced to fish buyers "at the emotional high end". This may be a misguided perception, of course. It would be a good reason for Porsche to ship the Turbo S just in order to be more numbers-competitive to the Model S.

In most everyday driving situations, it will make no difference to me if I sit in the 4S or Turbo. If at all, the small range advantage of the 4S may be noticeable. The acceleration of the Turbo: Yeah, cool, but will I use it - ever? Maybe once or twice to try it out on a Sunday morning on an empty stretch of Autobahn and then - ouff- not again? I will never be on the track, either.

So I am happy with the 4S decision. No post-purchase remorse so far :).

Cheers.

Singularity likes this.