Featured Automobile Mag Taycan review: The Porsche Taycan Turbo Redefines Speed and Acceleration

Discussion in 'General Taycan Topics' started by MissionC, May 12, 2019.

1. Ron R

Ron R Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicles:
    2014 Porsche Cayman
    I don't think Porsche is at all concerned with Tesla. Tesla showed them that there is a market for electric-only vehicles. The Model 3 Performance is certainly quick off the line, but Porsche produces incredible handling sports cars that are built to last. Comparing apples and oranges. Not that they are complaining if they sell Taycan's to the same demographic that buys a Tesla Model S or Model 3, but I don't believe that's their target audience.

In the US, the current EV tax credit system will give a $7500 rebate for the purchase or lease of a new all-electric vehicle regardless of price. I believe it is just Canada that limits the tax credit on luxury EVs.

Haros likes this.
  2. Friedrich

Friedrich Active Member

First Name:
    Friedrich
    Vehicles:
    Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
    Commercial Real Estate Landlord
    Looking at the photos.....I now once again know why I never want another black vehicle.
    Its actually luxury car taxes that change the prices from country to county. The USA used to have a 10% luxury car tax from 1990 to 2002, calculated at 10% of values of cars over $30,000, which was a considered high in 1990. Most countries still have luxury car taxes. For ICE vehicles, some have higher rates based on the size of the engine

3. beaudawg

beaudawg Member

Vehicles:
    #18 beaudawg, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    No rebates in Canada for something this expensive. There is no upper price limit for the US federal tax credit, though some states have local rebates with price limitations.

Haros likes this.
  4. beaudawg

beaudawg Member

Vehicles:
    The single mention of the autopilot system being borrowed from the A8 is interesting. The A8's autopilot system includes a LiDAR sensor, supplied by Veleo, as far as I can tell. It appears to be the lowest cost LiDAR sensor on the market, at well under $1k. Good that it's fairly inexpensive, as it appears both applications place it in the front bumper.

5. dennis

dennis Member

Vehicles:
    Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
    The pricing is not off. It is the same pricing that was given to journalist Alex Roy. Porsche can't yet produce the Taycan at the same cost as they can produce the Panamera and they don't want to lose money on it.

Ron R likes this.
  6. Ksi

Ksi Member

Vehicles:
    Bmw i8
    Nah, i strongly believe what they said first is true (priced between cayene and panamera) I predict 80k+ for base model (translated to around 70k+ euro). They want to compete with Model S,(at least the basic and the 4S) so the pricing of these two will rival it as well.

7. GratedWasabi

GratedWasabi Active Member

First Name:
    Jeffrey
    Vehicles:
    2016 Macan Turbo
    If this pricing is correct, count me out on a launch year car and potentially ever.

With just basic options you're looking at $120k for the lowest trim worth buying.

For your money you get a first generation EV with a currently non existent charging network. Oh, by the way, within two years the battery tech will be outdated and replaced with far superior tech.

I could be swayed depending on how the Cross Turismo shakes out but I don't get the pricing.

D Wray's Garage and Haros like this.
  8. DrParis

DrParis Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
    I agree

Haros likes this.
  9. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    You bet
    yeah my mistake including ev rebates not counting for USA, I thought I read it was limited on price too.

10. DrParis

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    I just hope Trump the “Stable Genius” doesn’t impose an incredibly stupid 25%tariff on EU and Japanese cars

11. Friedrich

Friedrich Active Member

First Name:
    Friedrich
    Vehicles:
    Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
    Commercial Real Estate Landlord
    Yes.....and he can only impose tariffs if he declares it a national security emergency.....So the Taycan and other German cars are a threat to the national security of the USA....lol...Genius president....lol....but if the tariff is imposed, guess I would be getting the Tesla until tariffs are removed.

12. DrParis

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    We’ll likely know by this weekend from what I read.

13. Big_Pete1999

Big_Pete1999 Active Member

First Name:
    Peter
    Vehicles:
    Why yes, I do have vehicles, thanks for asking
    I think with almost everything Trump related, it's the fear of what he might do/say more than what he actually does do.
    He's had a beef with China and Mexico since his campaign, and I think he even talked about tariffs against them during his campaign. So it's really no big surprise he's doing it now.
    I don't recall him saying a peep about Europe. So I think it's a lot of fear mongering and shitting on him for the sake of shitting on him that has this stuff spread around.
    Not saying he does or doesn't deserve to be shit on (and if Russia is any indication, he might be into it). I'm just saying that I think there is less than a 1% chance of it happening and that it's simply media creating a panic for the sake of ratings and to further divide the left from the right because that shit drives ratings and makes them money.
    Anyways, that's my 2 cents. I don't see it happening.

14. DrParis

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    I disagree. Because the dumb shit “ loves tariffs”

15. Raek

Raek Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Macan GTS, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
    Shh...shizer is a German thing. The Russians hold the title on Golden Presidential Showers, though ;)

Big_Pete1999 likes this.