Close Enough ? Yes or No

Discussion in 'General Taycan Topics' started by domin1720, May 28, 2019.

1. Passifier

Passifier Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicles:
    TAYCAN on order with deposit - Tesla S, Cayenne, MB 300
    We flashed headlights in the 70"s from BMW to BMW and then went to MB, Aston Martin, etc. and the trend stopped. Maybe we can do the flash lights thing again with the TAYCAN.....I am also weary of the mule photos because I am so entrenched in the Mission E look and still plan to fly to Germany for the debut before i pick up my car. Hope they surprise us but not feeling good about the changes and also was not happy with the package received a couple of weeks ago that still show the Mission E....bad PR !

robox and Ron like this.
  2. Passifier

Passifier Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicles:
    TAYCAN on order with deposit - Tesla S, Cayenne, MB 300
    Agreed with your comment....only got rid of my Tesla S because I was worried about the future of the company but thought it was very cool in 2015! Sexy was my Aston Martin ! Will not accept a "Panamera" clone !

Ron likes this.
  3. robox

robox Active Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    X5/ Maloo

Ron likes this.
  4. robox

robox Active Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    X5/ Maloo
    I’m of the same thinking
    The conformation in a recent post by PAG-J1 that the just posted renders from an auto mag were ‘so close’ to the production model has put me out of my misery
    It’s been a roller coaster ride since putting down my deposit
    I don’t need a 4 door family sports car either, I also wanted a ‘sexy’ electric porsche (the gorgeous Misson E) or in fact a car that resembled the
    ‘latest sketch from our designers’ would do nicely but I’m afraid the production model is missing soooo much of the sexy for me
    I thought bugger it, if the inside is the same as the the concept then I’d probably go ahead but even this is confirmed toned down and not my preferred choice
    My whole working life I’ve dreamed of buying a Porsche, sad to say I might have to wait a FEW MORE YEARS for the 911 to go electric or a FEW MORE YEARS for that elusive Taycan coupe
    The Taycan is set to be a huge success even though at the moment it’s not ‘close enough’ for me, good luck to them
    Disappointed but the Porsche dealer can hold my deposit (number 4 in the South Island NZ ) till I see the car just in case, (not holding my breath)

randkin, Ron and Haros like this.
  5. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    You bet
    Yeah I’m already shopping around. I wanted more sport and less sedan, which the mission e was.

Wife wants a sports car and wife gets what she wants.

TheSnape, randkin and Ron like this.
  6. randkin

randkin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicles:
    930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
    Investments
    I am still on the fence. Loved the Mission E as soon as I saw it and called my dealer to put me "on the list" to get on the list. I had my deposit down as soon as the dealer ask for a deposit. The first pics of the mules really turned me off. The newer pics are better but still not nearly what I thought I was putting mone down for. I am in no hurry as I have plenty of cars so I am in the wait and see (in person) before I decide either way. If I go for an EV I am thinking I want it all and will not settle. There are way to many ICE cars which I would still prefer to an EV which does not meet or exceed my expetations.

Haros, Nevadagame and Ron like this.
  7. 3DBB

3DBB Member

First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicles:
    BMW R1150R
    As far as I can tell, the final Taycan will have exactly zero of the top five features that attracted me to the Mission E. If that's truly the case, I'm out. I guess I'll be looking at a used BMW i8.

Ron and Nevadagame like this.
  8. robox

robox Active Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicles:
    X5/ Maloo
    I agree
    It would be way easy to let them away with say one or two maybe three .... but five, six or SEVEN best features
    For me it’s
    1. Doors (later confirmed not in) but
    Necessitating standard look central pillar
    2. Wide rear/front guards
    3. Subsequent serious recess/dish to doors
    4. Interior
    5. Staggered concept wheels (but this
    might be an option
    6. Minimal door handle look
    7. Elimination of Porsche logo at rear

I find it so ordinary now (compared to the E)
    So Sad

Ron likes this.
  9. Nevadagame

Nevadagame Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicles:
    Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
    Your story and comments mirror mine to a tee. My expectations were that for a premium price, Porsche would blow everything else away and actually build the mission e that we all wanted. Gorgeous, and unique, long range, with all of the driving dynamics of a genuine Porsche. Fast charging is great, but few of us will ever use it, ability to sustain high speed for extended periods of time is great, but few of us will ever need it. I’m not going to settle for a “good looking sporty 155K 4 door sedan” with battery technology which will be obsolete in 24 months, unless the vehicle itself was a game changer, and the reality of the production Taycan isn’t. I suspect that fully half of us who have put deposits down feel the same way.

randkin, TheSnape, Haros and 2 others like this.
  10. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    You bet
    Yeah same boat here. This would have been my first Porsche (and because of that I was denied a new GT4) but I wanted something like the mission E, something sporty. I feel this car is less sporty, at least it looks like it for me. I wanted a fun 3rd vehicle, this looks more like a daily driver which I already have 2 of.

Ron likes this.
  11. Raek

Raek Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Macan GTS, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
    See, I'm trading in my Macan for the Taycan. DD for DD. I keep my fun car to cars that I can buy outright and won't have payments on, as I like to do lots of umm...things that may go against warranty, haha.

Haros likes this.
  12. randkin

randkin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicles:
    930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
    Investments
    Well I have other "fun" cars as well but why does a DD have to be boring? I have a Pano TS for a DD which is about as boring as I want to get.

13. Raek

Raek Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Macan GTS, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
    Yeah, I get what you're saying. My Macan GTS is chipped and lowered a bit...plenty fun for a DD. My Jeep is all set up for off-road stuff (bur still drivable as a daily), so that's fun in it's own right.

However, you're writing off a car that you haven't REALLY seen or driven yet as being boring.

14. GreggT

GreggT Well-Known Member

First Name:
    GreggT
    Vehicles:
    Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
    Enthusiast
    It doesn't.
    Life is too short.
    If 'driving' ranks high as one of life's simple pleasures....compromise should not be in the cards.
    Everyone's different. You know your own priorities......you know how you rank them.
    I've driven a 911 home after work for many years......rain, snow, winter, summer.

There a days I would not trade that for anything in the world.
    If a person can get that kind of pleasure from a Macan or Audi TT.....more power to them.
    Taycan will be a 'good car' but IMHO.....but the way it sits now, it will only rate as a good dog-hauler for the wife to drive for a couple years.
    I would have felt differently about the Mission E body.

When you get out of your car and start to walk away......do you always have that hankering to turn your head for one more look?
    For me that's also one of life's simple pleasures. :)

15. Ron

Ron Member

First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicles:
    89 Turbo, BMW M6 Competition, 87 Turbo SN, BMW X5, Turbo S, BMW 4, BMW 2, Audi A5
    I agree with Gregg T. When I walk away from my 89 930 Turbo it is a great feeling. Maybe we will get lucky and Porsche decides to use the Mission E body for a Turbo S version. The more aggressive/wide body.