Differences between Turbo and Turbo S?

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
... clearly too many of them
Country flag
But if Turbo S advantage is only on "Launch control" ... how to explain the faster 80-120 time?

Turbo 1,9sec
Turbo S 1,7 sec

Is this 2,5sec boost thing also available when kicking hard the speed pedal?
(at least there is no boost knob on the drive mode selector at steering wheel)

I think this is an important question ... because if it would be really only a difference on "Launch control" all Turbo S buyers would be slightly pissed .... on my i8 I used "Launch control" on day 1 ... but no more else
Sponsored

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
That seems to be the only possible explanation.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
But if Turbo S advantage is only on "Launch control" ... how to explain the faster 80-120 time?

Turbo 1,9sec
Turbo S 1,7 sec

Is this 2,5sec boost thing also available when kicking hard the speed pedal?
(at least there is no boost knob on the drive mode selector at steering wheel)

I think this is an important question ... because if it would be really only a difference on "Launch control" all Turbo S buyers would be slightly pissed .... on my i8 I used "Launch control" on day 1 ... but no more else
The Turbo S has a bigger front engine..

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We know but, without launch control boost active, horsepower is the same.
.. did you read the 80-120 times?

Can please all ask their Porsche dealers about that? .... at least mine has no clue .... "teaching about Taycan is on Mallorca in October"

The question is:"How to reach the difference of 0,2 sec on 80-120 time? ... when obviously no "Launch control" is used on 80-120 times. Does kicking the speed pedal activate a boost?

Last edited:

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know. The boost must also operate on full throttle (not just from a standing start)

Henry Porter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo, Mazda Miata.
Country flag
I don’t think the Turbo S has a faster 80- 120 time. That’s impossible with the same horsepower and the same torque( except when in launch mode). Someone has misinformed you, maybe to convince you to buy the Turbo S.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
Turbo S comes standard with 21" wheels, sport chrono, rear axle steering, black window trim, matte carbon interior, and carbon exterior trim.

If you load up a Turbo with all of the Turbo S options (outside of the higher horsepower and carbon exterior trim which isn't possible) you still end up with a $17k USD difference. So you're paying a minimum of $17k for the extra horsepower and carbon trim.
Yeah, I have done some builds on both models and have found this to be the case. I had originally been leaning at the onset for the Turbo S but the range (on both) was a big disappointment for me now I see the range is better on the Turbo which is more important to me than having the fastest launch which I may use a couple of times at the most.

Also the price of both was a bit more than I was expecting as I thought it would be more than the Tesla model S but not that much more. That said had the range and some of the other bells and whistles, been as proposed I still would have gone for the Turbo S. However now I find the Turbo trim with most of the Turbo S options looks more attractive to me just for the better range as this would be my DD.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
2.8 seconds

Not very long ago that used to be supercar/hypercar acceleration

Have they got figures for 100-150km/h acceleration times etc?

FUBAR

First Name
Christer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6 V10, Viper RT/10, Buick GNX, GMC Syclone & Typhoon, 96 Impala SS
Country flag
The Turbo S has a bigger front engine..
We know but, without launch control boost active, horsepower is the same.
That is incorrect. Turbo and Turbo S has identical engines both front and rear. However the Turbo S has an 600 amp inverter for the front engine compared to the Turbo that has a 300 amp inverter. Hence they have the same HP rating when out of boost mode, but the Turbo S has 200 Nm more torque available. I think this is what makes the Turbo S accelerate faster than the Turbo. Boost mode is only available during launch mode. I guess the bigger front inverter is the reason why The Turbo S also has more HP and torque in boost mode.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The turbo S has a 600 amp power inverter on the front motor vs a 300 amp inverter on the Turbo. This means the turbo can deliver more horsepower and torque to the front wheels under full throttle, not just launch control. I'm not sure what the power and torque difference is, but given the inverter is considerably more powerful, there is definitely an increase.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Here's the best explanation I've found on the differences between the turbo and turbo s motors. The Turbo S can supply 256hp and 295lb-ft from the the front engine because of the doubly powerful inverter (600 vs 300). The Turbo supplies 225hp and 221lb-ft from the front engine, both in 'normal driving' situations. This is vs 225hp and 221lb-ft in the Turbo. Probably nothing you wold feel on the road in normal driving except perhaps for the increased torque.

Taycan Turbo or Taycan Turbo S?
Porsche is launching the Taycan in two specs: the Taycan Turbo and the Taycan Turbo S. (Yes, I know there's nothing to turbocharge—it's a triumph of marketing over logic that we're all going to have to deal with.) The all-wheel drive powertrains are almost identical in both, and in normal driving both versions even output the same 460kW (616hp) from two permanent magnet synchronous motor-generator units, located fore and aft of the battery pack. Porsche says it chose this design over induction or permanent magnet asynchronous MGUs because they're compact and offer high-power density but also offer good thermal behavior—which means consistent performance, even though the cost is higher. The coils in the MGU are of a hairpin winding design, rather than the more common pull-in winding technique. Porsche said that these hairpins—rectangular copper bars bent into a U shape—allow more copper fill inside the motor (70% versus 40% for pull-in winding), and more copper means more power and torque. (Porsche also claims that the hairpin design is easier to insulate and cool.)

It all comes down to launch control
The primary difference between Turbo and Turbo S is at the front axle, where a second MGU drives the wheels via a single-speed planetary gearbox that's rated at +450Nm (332lb-ft) for traction torque and -300Nm (221lb-ft) for regeneration. Specifically, they differ in terms of the pulse-controlled inverter that converts DC to three-phase AC for the front MGU. In the Taycan Turbo this normally provides a continuous 190A, which gives the motor 175kW (235hp) and 300Nm (221lb-ft). But when you activate launch control, the inverter can overboost the motor to 300A. Do that and the Taycan Turbo suddenly packs a hefty 500kW (670hp) and 850Nm (630lb-ft), albeit for just 2.5 seconds at a time. That makes even the Taycan Turbo faster than a McLaren F1off the line; 0-60mph takes 3 seconds, then it's 3.2 seconds to 62mph (100km/h), 6.9 seconds to 100mph (160km/h), 10.6 seconds to 124mph (200km/h), with the standing quarter-mile (400m) dispatched in 11.1 seconds.

FURTHER READING

The Turbo S makes do with a doubly powerful front inverter. Normally it works at 380A, and the 168lb (76kg) MGU provides 190kW (256hp) and 400Nm (295lb-ft). But engage launch control in this one and that shoots up to a peak of 600A, which adds an extra 40Nm (30lb-ft) to the front wheels. The Turbo S rear MGU also ups its torque game to 610Nm (449lb-ft) in overboost and launch control, for a combined 560kW (750hp) and 1,050Nm (774lb-ft). This helps the Turbo S from a standstill to 60mph in a face-melting 2.6 seconds, then to the metric 100km/h in 2.8 seconds, 100mph in 6.3 seconds, 124mph in 9.8 seconds, and the standing quarter in 10.8 seconds.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
That is incorrect. Turbo and Turbo S has identical engines both front and rear. However the Turbo S has an 600 amp inverter for the front engine compared to the Turbo that has a 300 amp inverter. Hence they have the same HP rating when out of boost mode, but the Turbo S has 200 Nm more torque available. I think this is what makes the Turbo S accelerate faster than the Turbo. Boost mode is only available during launch mode. I guess the bigger front inverter is the reason why The Turbo S also has more HP and torque in boost mode.
I thought the inverter was a part of the front engine.. and the front power is bigger in Turbo S, my bad..

Eisbärenhöhle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche says the more power on Turbo S is only (!) available at boost mode ... and boost mode is only available during Launch control .... would result in same power on both models "outside" Launch control.

But 80-120 times are 0.2 sec different ... but why doesn't make Porsche advertisement with this increased power "outside" Launch control tp push Turbo S sales?

Turbo S doesn't make sense when only at boost mode the power is increased ... nobody is using the Taycan as a drag racer
Sponsored