Door entry and locking

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I don’t know about the Porsche fob, but it’s entirely possible to avoid the amplification / relay attacks. You don’t measure signal strength but instead time to compute a secret based on a public key encryption pair shared with the fob.

measuring signal strength is amateur hour. Tesla’s key cards do that because they are cheap and they want to work with a variety of cheap phones interchangeably
It totally depends on the equipment and software of the thieves, not on the way the key fob or other remote system works.
It's a hackable system, no matter what.
Some insurance companies could even reject (expensive) cars with keyless entry in my country.
That's why it's an option (with a warning statement) in my configurator. ;)
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It totally depends on the equipment and software of the thieves, not on the way the key fob or other remote system works.
this is ... not accurate. There are remote entry systems (perhaps not for cars) that require law enforcement or nation state resources to compromise. Relying on signal strength as a proxy for distance is really garbage by modern technology standards. The Tesla key cards are crap.

the goal isn’t to be unhackable. It’s to cost more than it’s worth to hack. And securing something to cost more than $200K to hack isn’t actually that hard.

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I’’m 30 years in the industri and I think the comfort access on Porsche is the safest on the marker.. I have it on all my cars... no wories..

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
this is ... not accurate. There are remote entry systems (perhaps not for cars) that require law enforcement or nation state resources to compromise. Relying on signal strength as a proxy for distance is really garbage by modern technology standards. The Tesla key cards are crap.

the goal isn’t to be unhackable. It’s to cost more than it’s worth to hack. And securing something to cost more than $200K to hack isn’t actually that hard.
Sure but my point is, it doesn't matter if you're using a key fob or a keyless entry system.
It's both unsafe.
Besides, the industry is always behind.
But for me it's safe enough, keyless entry.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
After having a model 3 for couple years (my wife's car but I steal it a often as I can), using the phone as key is natural. I never had to use the keycard and if it was not for my house keys and the other car key fob (Merc E coupe) I would ditch the keys altogether.

On a positive note, the brochure finally mentions that you can start the car by simply putting it in gear - Tesla style. The most annoying part in driving 2 cars is forgetting to switch the car off in the Merc. If the car knows my but is in the driver seat, why does the Merc not start the electronics as soon as I get in / switch off as soon as I get out and the car is in park? One of the many things traditional manufacturers need to learn from Tesla.

Last edited:

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I’’m 30 years in the industri and I think the comfort access on Porsche is the safest on the marker.. I have it on all my cars... no wories..
I thought "Comfort Access" is that the car moves the steering wheel up and and the seat back when you open the door to get out. Irks me that is a pay-for option, given it was standard with my other Porsches.

Porsche Entry and Drive is they keyless entry system with the fake keyfob thingy left permanently in the ignition. (Well, you can remove it and use a key I guess)

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
I thought "Comfort Access" is that the car moves the steering wheel up and and the seat back when you open the door to get out. Irks me that is a pay-for option, given it was standard with my other Porsches.

Porsche Entry and Drive is they keyless entry system with the fake keyfob thingy left permanently in the ignition. (Well, you can remove it and use a key I guess)
99% that it ’s unlock the Doors with out pressing on the key fob..

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Weird, looks like "Porsche Comfort Access" on the Panamera is the same thing as Porsche Entry and Drive on the Macan. On the Macan (and the 981), "Comfort Entry" is the function that moves the seat.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com...cking-the-vehicle-with-Porsche-Comfort-Access
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com...oor-Locking-with-Porsche-Entry--Drive-keyless

I'm less annoyed at that option now, because I thought it was really weird to have to pay to get Comfort Entry. Which also goes to show that a long talk with my sales guy over every option will happen also. :)
Sponsored