EV Maintenance...

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
  • Banned
Besides wearables such as tires, brakes and fluid, shocks and windshield wipers is there any regular maintenance on a EV? I suppose the battery cooling fluid eventually needs to be changed and the two speed transmission has some type of replaceable lubricant....
Sponsored

Last edited:

SF Dede

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Country flag
Besides wearables such as tires, brakes and fluid, shocks and windshield wipers is there any regular maintenance on a EV? I suppose the battery cooling fluid eventually needs to be changed and the two speed transmission has some type of replaceable lubricant....
For my Tesla Model 3 it’s been incredibly low. New wiper blades and fluid. $120 over 1 year and 20k miles. Tesla service center recommended nothing else. Tires were even so didn’t need rotation.

My friend’s Golf E was a whole other story.

Hopefully Porsche is more like Tesla. Time will tell.

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lotus Elise, Chevy Volt, Model X
Country flag
My wife’s MX has needed wiper fluid, new wipers, and uhhh... that’s it for regular maintenance.

Then there are the several warranty items....

I didn’t even think of the transmission fluid for the Taycan. Maybe the service interval will be pretty long since it should be much simpler than something like a PDK.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
It will be interesting to see what Porsche recommends for the car regarding servicing the brakes. I know Porsche recommends flushing the brake fluid every 2 years (at least on the 2014 Cayman; am guessing this is true for all their vehicles). I believe a good chunk of the braking on the Taycan is done by regeneration rather than just the brake system, so not sure how this might affect things like the fluid change or the brake pads. I would expect there to be less brake maintenance than on any of their ICE vehicles.

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
From the early reviews, the brakes could last quite a while. I wonder how much of the car will be OTA upgradable versus requiring dealer intervention. There's still items like alignments and whatnot. I'm not sure what the maintenance on the fancier suspension items will be (my car doesn't have that stuff), but I have a feeling that Porsche is preparing their dealer network for a large transition that we'll see play out over time, that moves away from purely mechanical servicing to something else.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
From the early reviews, the brakes could last quite a while. I wonder how much of the car will be OTA upgradable versus requiring dealer intervention. There's still items like alignments and whatnot. I'm not sure what the maintenance on the fancier suspension items will be (my car doesn't have that stuff), but I have a feeling that Porsche is preparing their dealer network for a large transition that we'll see play out over time, that moves away from purely mechanical servicing to something else.

I had read in one of the press releases as well as my dealer telling me that Porsche was not going to have OTA updates like Tesla as their software was not set up that way. Has anyone read anything different because OTA updates on the Taycan would be excellent and an advantage like Tesla has.

A993

First Name
Adriaan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
This is not a technical discussion about what maintenance is necessary or not. It should be comparable to any EV. Porsche has stated many times that it has the intention to create a business out servicing its EV's, compatible to its ICE cars. A charge with its 350kW chargers will cost about the same as a tank of gas is one example. Same goes for maintenance. And if you don't have Porsche service it as they want you to, you loose warranty, and the Porsche approved status, and that is bad for resale values. So you pay anyway.
Something to keep in mind for sure.

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
From the early reviews, the brakes could last quite a while.
I'm looking forward to the brake pad savings from brake regen. One pedal driving is pretty cool too, for a daily driver.

I'm not sure what the maintenance on the fancier suspension items will be (my car doesn't have that stuff), but I have a feeling that Porsche is preparing their dealer network for a large transition that we'll see play out over time, that moves away from purely mechanical servicing to something else.
Yes, per PAG_J1 (below), every dealership has been ordered to receive EV specific training. They'll soon have their hands full with the Taycan coming soon and then the 2021 Macan being all electric.

Every dealership has the order to get Taycan and BEV specific Trainings and instructions (for EU Dealerships was the Training in Spain, Mallorca). So therefore you won't have any Problems giving your car to your local dealership for Service.

https://www.taycanforum.com/threads/a-new-generation-of-ev-mechanics.480/#post-3481

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Porsche has stated many times that it has the intention to create a business out servicing its EV's, compatible to its ICE cars. A charge with its 350kW chargers will cost about the same as a tank of gas is one example. Same goes for maintenance. And if you don't have Porsche service it as they want you to, you loose warranty, and the Porsche approved status, and that is bad for resale values. So you pay anyway.
Something to keep in mind for sure.
In the US, Porsche can't deny warranty coverage, regardless of where routine maintenance has been performed (on the other hand, there's no equivalent of the renewing approved coverage either). I have resigned myself to the 4-figure glorified oil-changes for my 911, but in the end, if there's nothing to do on the Taycan even Porsche can't charge $1k every year (I think).

OP
OP
MPawelek

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
Well, There will be a charge to annually adjust the Herkimer thumbobulators and tweak the thingamajigs. Might also be some cost to align the flux capacitor.....

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well, There will be a charge to annually adjust the Herkimer thumbobulators and tweak the thingamajigs. Might also be some cost to align the flux capacitor.....
Wait till the flux capacitor needs replacement... with a Mr. Fusion reactor :surprised:

BobM

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, BMW E36 M3
Country flag
I'm looking forward to the brake pad savings from brake regen. One pedal driving is pretty cool too, for a daily driver.
But you won't be one pedal driving in a Taycan. From https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/taycan/first-drive :

"By default, lift off the throttle and you’ll coast along – the most natural sensation for keen drivers says Porsche – because only when you touch the middle pedal does the regen begin. A dial in front of you shows the point when regen hands over to mechanical friction, pads on discs, and you have to really stomp on them to get there. That means 90 per cent of the time the feedback you’re feeling from the brake pedal is synthetic, designed to mimic the resistance we’re accustomed to."

While I'm a little disappointed by this as I've grown to really like the one pedal driving in my Model S, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Perhaps it will also reduce the incidence of motion sickness in passengers that I get in the Tesla - you're always either accelerating or decelerating until you get good at modulating it at a steady speed.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
But you won't be one pedal driving in a Taycan. From https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/taycan/first-drive :

"By default, lift off the throttle and you’ll coast along – the most natural sensation for keen drivers says Porsche – because only when you touch the middle pedal does the regen begin. A dial in front of you shows the point when regen hands over to mechanical friction, pads on discs, and you have to really stomp on them to get there. That means 90 per cent of the time the feedback you’re feeling from the brake pedal is synthetic, designed to mimic the resistance we’re accustomed to."

While I'm a little disappointed by this as I've grown to really like the one pedal driving in my Model S, I'm sure I'll get used to it. Perhaps it will also reduce the incidence of motion sickness in passengers that I get in the Tesla - you're always either accelerating or decelerating until you get good at modulating it at a steady speed.
i’m pretty excited about that and the combination of a more traditional braking experience with regen.

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
“By default “ sounds like it might be an option
Especially for us Model S owners accustomed to it.
I reckon we’ll find out shortly

AlphaG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I remember reading in one of the numerous reviews/drive-alongs that there will be an option though not as aggressive as Tesla’s, as well as an automatic mode that will determines your intent. Ie... aggressive regen at a racetrack around corners but not at straights, none in day-to-day driving maybe?
Sponsored