How many of us are current Panamera owners?

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I'm very curious to see what percentage of Taycan sales will be to previous Panamera owners. My hunch is this will be the majority of Taycan sales, which would certainly affect how this new car impacts Porsche's bottom line - especially if as rumored, the base Taycan will not be profitable in the first year or so.

I currently drive a 2013 Panamera GTS, and am looking at the Taycan as a replacement.
Sponsored

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
There's already open information re: the statistics of deposit holders.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
I'm very curious to see what percentage of Taycan sales will be to previous Panamera owners. My hunch is this will be the majority of Taycan sales, which would certainly affect how this new car impacts Porsche's bottom line - especially if as rumored, the base Taycan will not be profitable in the first year or so.

I currently drive a 2013 Panamera GTS, and am looking at the Taycan as a replacement.
Most Taycan deposits are from first time Porsche buyers, with many coming from Tesla.

Marshall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S; 2021 Macan S
Country flag
2018 Panamera here. 2018 Macan S as well. Several other Porsche’s too.

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
2018 Panamera 4S and 2019 Macan S here (wife's car). I believe Tesla will facelift and upgrade the interior the Model S around the time of the Taycan launch. Personally, the fit and finish/driving dynamics of Tesla is still not at the level of Porsche, so it was never a serious option for me. Whether Tesla maintains a battery tech advantage remains to be seen. Tesla does have an advantage in the tech interface. This is now my 4th Porsche and I still cannot figure out Porsche Connect, Connect Plus and Car Connect (why name them all so similar?) but it's not a deal breaker. I understand why Porsche would want to specifically target and slow Teslas momentum without cannibalizing higher margin existing customer business, but I believe the seamless power and torque of an EV will ultimately win over a lot of Porsche enthusiasts.

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
I currently wn several Porsches including a Panamer Turbo S. This would be the car i would replace with the Taycan if I elect to pull the trigger on the deal.

However when I was at the Porsche Experience Center in LA for the Taycan sales present, it seemed to me that many of the others at the event were current Tesla owners. Several others were entirely new to Porsche never having owned one. It did seem that perhaps the current or prior Porsche owners were about 1/3 of the group of about 40+ at the event. I would guess that the prospective buyers are mainly from Tesla and other Lux brands but certainly there will be some Panamera folks that will switch over to the Taycan.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
I bought a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo, and after 13 months of driving it daily over 20k miles, I can say it's the best car I've ever driven, by far. I test drove a couple of 2018 Panamera Turbos before I special-ordered my E-Hybrid, and I think that the Pan4 E-Hybrid is way more fun than (and every bit as good at accelerating as) the ICE-only Panny Turbos. (Of course, the Porsche model name "Turbo" is so silly, since all Porsches are turbos; they should just say how it's different and call it a Panamera V8.). The technology in the new-gen Porsche E-Hybrids is nothing short of amazing. Although I just bought a 2019 Macan because I needed something a bit more practical at times than the Panamera in my daily driving, I am very disappointed that Porsche does not (yet) make a Macan E-Hybrid (the Cayenne E-Hybrid is too big and bulky and truck-like for me).

So I'm not so interested in the Taycan as I am in the forthcoming Cross Turismo for MY2021, and possibly the Macan BEV for MY2022. And, if Porsche comes out with a Macan E-Hybrid at the same time as they introduce the Macan BEV (as my sales rep claims Porsche is telling dealers), I will gobble up one of the first Macan E-Hybrids. I will also be one of the first in line to test-drive the Taycan when it comes out, but I sure won't be willing to buy one the first year or two -- preferring instead to let others be the "guinea pigs" to put their money down and find out what problems may arise in these early Porsche versions of BEVs. But if Porsche's genius in building their current PHEVs is any indication, I am pretty confident that they will do the Taycan right, with few problems the first year. (I note that the Jaguar I-Pace and Audi e-tron have both had significant embarrassing recalls in recent weeks/months.)

Last edited:

DonHoz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo; Macan S
Country flag

I had a 2018 e-hybrid Panamera. Tested a 2020 Taycan Turbo and drove it home. No comparison. None.

TycanNewHampshire

First Name
TG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tycan 4S
Country flag
I traded in my Panamara GTS for the Taycan while in for an oil change and 40k service. Great sales tactic...."you know you won't need another oil change or engine service again if you go over to the Taycan" Bought it on the spot :)

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Traded a 2013 Panamera 4 for a 2021 Taycan 4S.

Before, I only had one center console cup holder stuffed with my wife’s crap that I couldn’t put a drink in.

But now, I have two center console cup holders stuffed with my wife’s crap that I can’t put a drink in.

Movin’ up. ?

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
My Panamera was always only a stop-gap until the Taycan was released. Have not been disappointed and have ordered a second Taycan, rather than back with another Panamera.
Sponsored