Jaguar I-Pace to a Taycan 4S (hopefully!)

thorfun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Hi all,
I was asked what in a PM what I thought about the I-Pace and so I thought I'd start a thread on my journey that has led me to put a deposit down on a Taycan 4S.
About 3 years ago I was driving around in a BMW 4 series GrandCoupe as a company car. Then I came in to a bit of inheritance from my Grandmother passing and was wondering what to do with it. I wanted to reduce my BIK on my company car and so needed a vehicle with reduced emissions.
Then a bombshell hit. My brother (45 at the time) had a heart attack and a stroke a week later and was lucky to make it through the night. Still 4 years later and he has very limited use of one side of his body. That same summer my father was diagnosed with a terminal disease (Motor Neurone Disease) and given 2 or 3 years to live (he has sadly since passed away). I decided at that time that life is too short! anything can happen so I wanted to enjoy myself while I could! I figured that as long as the kids get an education and there's a roof over our heads and food on the table then I can enjoy myself with what's left over.:angel:
So I put a chunk of my inheritance towards a new Porsche Panamera 4 E-hybrid. it was perfect for me, reduced emissions to keep my BIK down, tax benefits for my company and a fabulous car that looked, sounded and drove like a real car and that also would take my family of 4 and our dog on road trips. It was money well spent.
Fast forward 2 years and our lovely government decided that it wasn't going to give low emission drivers such an easy time and decided to hike BIK rates right up and so the Panamera was no longer a viable or tax efficient vehicle and I had to start looking for an EV to, again, try and reduce my BIK.
I'd like to mention at this point that buying these cars was not just about tax! I love cars and have had many during my time on the planet. these include (but not limited to), Audi TT 225, Porsche 911 Cabriolet (996) and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. so, to be able to get nice cars AND be tax efficient was just the icing on the cake.
Anyway, I digress. The search for an EV led me back to Tesla, Audi and Jaguar or wait for the Porsche Taycan.
I was disappointed with the test mule shots I'd seen of the Taycan (this was about 6 months ago) as it definitely looked like it was going to be a saloon rather than a hatchback and I have a need to transport the dog with us and so I had to discount the Taycan (sadly).
Tesla just seemed a lot of money for a not as well built vehicle. The performance was great and it was nice on the test drive but I have no need for huge range nor straight line speed (even the E-tron would beat most ICE cars off the line!) and so they offered no real benefit for me. Plus the model S just looked a bit dated and I didn't want a Model X. I love tech though and so they were still in the back of my mind but every time I went to the website to spec up a model I just thought they were expensive compared to the competition.
I test drove the Audi e-tron and it was lovely. a nice, comfortable drive, great infotainment and good build quality. but, it was just a bit dull. didn't set the pulse racing if you know what I mean. My wife has an ML350 so we have a big SUV so I really didn't need another.
So that left the Jaguar I-Pace. I test drove it a couple of times and was blown away by the car. I guess a lot of it was EV driving that I enjoyed so much as I did enjoy driving around town in the Panamera on electricity alone as it led to a nice quiet and relaxed driving experience. but, obviously the full BEV was a different story. you get the quiet driving but also the speed! Anyway, long story short, I bought the Jag. :like:
And, for a short while, I absolutely loved it. love the whole EV driving thing as well. Car was built brilliantly, very luxurious and was as fast as I needed and carried my whole family and the dog. what could possibly be wrong then you ask for me to want to get a Taycan now after I'd dismissed it previously?
Firstly, the infotainment software on the JLR cars is shocking. slow, laggy and pretty painful to use if I have to be brutally honest. SOTA updates didn't work and so issues I had resulted in having to go in to the dealer to get them fixed for which I had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for a loan car to be available. Fast charging performance was poor and when plugged in to a 150KW charger I got speeds of only 61KW/h on average. And, the icing on the cake was that the matrix LED headlights didn't work from day 1! I don't know why and I wasn't alone as there are numerous people on forums that are having the same issue. a whole batch of VINs are affected and 2 months after I initially reported the issue the car still isn't fixed. and so, due to Jaguar delivering me a faulty car I have asked for a refund which I'm waiting to go through.
I think that if the headlights were working as I expected I may have overlooked the shortcomings in the software but I have now lost all confidence in Jaguar's quality control if a major feature of the headlight system was delivered inoperative. how do I know what other components were delivered faulty that I haven't found yet?
so I have now put a deposit down on the Taycan. I can't think of any other EV that I'd like to drive more at the moment. I know it's a saloon and I should probably wait for the mission-e crossover but I figure the dog can go on the back seat in between the kids! I'm sure they'll all be fine. ;) but, as I said before, I want to enjoy my life while I can. the Taycan is a stunning car and I can't understand how people think it's ugly. each to their own I guess and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but, to me, it is simply gorgeous.
Obviously, the 4S hasn't been announced yet and until I know the final cost of it it may be out of my reach but I am now dreaming of the day I pick up my new Taycan.
I hope I haven't bored you all with this long-winded post. Can't wait to get back in to the Porsche family.
if you have any questions about the I-Pace or any of my decisions I will happily answer them.
Cheers,
Tom.
Sponsored

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
Hi all,
I was asked what in a PM what I thought about the I-Pace and so I thought I'd start a thread on my journey that has led me to put a deposit down on a Taycan 4S.
About 3 years ago I was driving around in a BMW 4 series GrandCoupe as a company car. Then I came in to a bit of inheritance from my Grandmother passing and was wondering what to do with it. I wanted to reduce my BIK on my company car and so needed a vehicle with reduced emissions.
Then a bombshell hit. My brother (45 at the time) had a heart attack and a stroke a week later and was lucky to make it through the night. Still 4 years later and he has very limited use of one side of his body. That same summer my father was diagnosed with a terminal disease (Motor Neurone Disease) and given 2 or 3 years to live (he has sadly since passed away). I decided at that time that life is too short! anything can happen so I wanted to enjoy myself while I could! I figured that as long as the kids get an education and there's a roof over our heads and food on the table then I can enjoy myself with what's left over.:angel:
So I put a chunk of my inheritance towards a new Porsche Panamera 4 E-hybrid. it was perfect for me, reduced emissions to keep my BIK down, tax benefits for my company and a fabulous car that looked, sounded and drove like a real car and that also would take my family of 4 and our dog on road trips. It was money well spent.
Fast forward 2 years and our lovely government decided that it wasn't going to give low emission drivers such an easy time and decided to hike BIK rates right up and so the Panamera was no longer a viable or tax efficient vehicle and I had to start looking for an EV to, again, try and reduce my BIK.
I'd like to mention at this point that buying these cars was not just about tax! I love cars and have had many during my time on the planet. these include (but not limited to), Audi TT 225, Porsche 911 Cabriolet (996) and an Aston Martin V8 Vantage. so, to be able to get nice cars AND be tax efficient was just the icing on the cake.
Anyway, I digress. The search for an EV led me back to Tesla, Audi and Jaguar or wait for the Porsche Taycan.
I was disappointed with the test mule shots I'd seen of the Taycan (this was about 6 months ago) as it definitely looked like it was going to be a saloon rather than a hatchback and I have a need to transport the dog with us and so I had to discount the Taycan (sadly).
Tesla just seemed a lot of money for a not as well built vehicle. The performance was great and it was nice on the test drive but I have no need for huge range nor straight line speed (even the E-tron would beat most ICE cars off the line!) and so they offered no real benefit for me. Plus the model S just looked a bit dated and I didn't want a Model X. I love tech though and so they were still in the back of my mind but every time I went to the website to spec up a model I just thought they were expensive compared to the competition.
I test drove the Audi e-tron and it was lovely. a nice, comfortable drive, great infotainment and good build quality. but, it was just a bit dull. didn't set the pulse racing if you know what I mean. My wife has an ML350 so we have a big SUV so I really didn't need another.
So that left the Jaguar I-Pace. I test drove it a couple of times and was blown away by the car. I guess a lot of it was EV driving that I enjoyed so much as I did enjoy driving around town in the Panamera on electricity alone as it led to a nice quiet and relaxed driving experience. but, obviously the full BEV was a different story. you get the quiet driving but also the speed! Anyway, long story short, I bought the Jag. :like:
And, for a short while, I absolutely loved it. love the whole EV driving thing as well. Car was built brilliantly, very luxurious and was as fast as I needed and carried my whole family and the dog. what could possibly be wrong then you ask for me to want to get a Taycan now after I'd dismissed it previously?
Firstly, the infotainment software on the JLR cars is shocking. slow, laggy and pretty painful to use if I have to be brutally honest. SOTA updates didn't work and so issues I had resulted in having to go in to the dealer to get them fixed for which I had to wait 3 or 4 weeks for a loan car to be available. Fast charging performance was poor and when plugged in to a 150KW charger I got speeds of only 61KW/h on average. And, the icing on the cake was that the matrix LED headlights didn't work from day 1! I don't know why and I wasn't alone as there are numerous people on forums that are having the same issue. a whole batch of VINs are affected and 2 months after I initially reported the issue the car still isn't fixed. and so, due to Jaguar delivering me a faulty car I have asked for a refund which I'm waiting to go through.
I think that if the headlights were working as I expected I may have overlooked the shortcomings in the software but I have now lost all confidence in Jaguar's quality control if a major feature of the headlight system was delivered inoperative. how do I know what other components were delivered faulty that I haven't found yet?
so I have now put a deposit down on the Taycan. I can't think of any other EV that I'd like to drive more at the moment. I know it's a saloon and I should probably wait for the mission-e crossover but I figure the dog can go on the back seat in between the kids! I'm sure they'll all be fine. ;) but, as I said before, I want to enjoy my life while I can. the Taycan is a stunning car and I can't understand how people think it's ugly. each to their own I guess and everyone is entitled to their own opinion but, to me, it is simply gorgeous.
Obviously, the 4S hasn't been announced yet and until I know the final cost of it it may be out of my reach but I am now dreaming of the day I pick up my new Taycan.
I hope I haven't bored you all with this long-winded post. Can't wait to get back in to the Porsche family.
if you have any questions about the I-Pace or any of my decisions I will happily answer them.
Cheers,
Tom.
Tom, Thanks for the in depth view of your
I-Pace and I am sorry to hear about your Grandmother and Dad, and I hope your Brother is able to enjoy his life.

You are correct, life is short, and as long as you have the kids covered, a roof over your head and food on the table, why not enjoy life while you can. So many people pass on without really enjoying the hard work they put into living every day. You cannot take it with you so you might as well enjoy it.

Regarding the Taycan, I agree with you, it looks stunning and I really like that White and light Blue exterior colors, although you cannot go wrong with any of those colors. I am concerned about the Infotainment system in the Taycan as you had lots of lag in your Jag. I was watching a video where a person was playing around with the infotainment and hvac controls and it looked like there was a delay after he touched something. If any other person can chime in on this, it would be appreciated as I would not like such a beautiful car that had a crappy and slow touch screen control infotainment/hvac system.

I have my deposit in for awhile now and am looking forward to the day I can order my 4S.

Regards, Ray

OP
OP

thorfun

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace
Country flag
Hi Ray,
thanks for your kind words.
I didn't think the infotainment in the Panamera was laggy at all. it wasn't the snappiest but it was a veritable cheetah compared to the I-Pace. :CWL:
I have to say that the Audi infotainment was gloriously fast so I'm surprised that the Porsche one isn't on par with that but as long as the satnav on the main display doesn't update so slowly that the road you've just gone past is the one the map is showing that's upcoming and you need to take it (as it is in the I-Pace) I'll be happy.

I think that dealers should have some Taycans in to look at and play with before any 4S lock-in dates are met so we should be able to have a play before finalising our orders. plus there will be a plethora of video reviews online soon which should give good views on the infotainment.

Tom.
Sponsored