Leasing & resale value

Discussion in 'Pricing, Reserving, Ordering, Production' started by BenJL, Sep 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM.

Tags:
  1. BenJL

BenJL Member

Vehicles:
    Audi TT
    Hi guys,

I'm a huge fan of Porsche and BEV. It's my first post here and I'm French (so, sorry for some mistakes!)

I put a deposit one year ago and it's time to take action :)

However, if you look at the competition, you can see that the second-hand Tesla market is complicated.
    A Porsche 911 can easily be sold at 85% of the purchase price after 3 years. But on a Tesla, this rate drops to 50% (sometimes it's better if you sell it to a private individual).

The main reason comes from the batteries of course (as you know, batteries are consumables and reduce the life of the vehicle)

What do you think about a Porsche Taycan?
    What do you think will be the resale value of a Porsche Taycan Turbo after 3 years?

And you, will you buy or rent it (long-term lease or lease with option to buy)?

2. charliemathilde

charliemathilde Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    The technology will change a lot in 3 years, so supply of newer better models will likely force prices down. I don’t think battery wear is really a major factor. Well maintained Tesla’s don’t have a significant degradation even after many years. I think their resale price is more a supply & demand issue. Even new Model S have seen large price cuts.

Haros and Rotordude like this.
  3. Rotordude

Rotordude Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    ?
    Aviation Finance
    Great q....one of the most important.

All EV’s aren’t just cars any more. They are units of technology. In 3 years technology jumps ahead HUGELY! No way a taycan will retain 85% after 3 yrs like a 911. It’s a new world in autos, a threshold to the next normal.

Haros likes this.
  4. BenJL

BenJL Member

Vehicles:
    Audi TT
    Indeed ! That is why loaner doesn't really want to take a risk on a Taycan... unfortunately.

In your opinion, at what level can we consider it to be a good resale value after 3 years for a Taycan Turbo (~40000km) ?

5. Haros

Haros Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    You bet
    There is already a developed motor that can act like the 2 speed transmission in the Taycan - minus the transmission.
    Iron ion batteries are already a real world replacement for lithium ion, which is a fraction of the cost for the same performance.

This is just news from this month alone.

There is a huge incentive and loads of money invested into EV motors and battery technology as a whole.
    We can see a real world dramatic shift from just the model s fo the model 3, which users far superior technologies.

The point is: EV is in its infancy and is moving at a rapid rate not seen in the car history in any of our lifetimes.

If you want the Taycan, get the Taycan.

If you are worried about resale value, either get a car you love and want to hold onto or get a lease.

I think I can safely say it may be unwise to hold onto any EV car as an investment for now.

Rotordude likes this.
  6. Rotordude

Vehicles:
    ?
    Aviation Finance
    Absolutely correct! If a person is willing and able to accept the prospective massive depreciation, get the turbo S! There is an unwritten rule in tech, always go for the highest spec——-equals the least relative depreciation!

Haros likes this.
  7. Rotordude

Vehicles:
    ?
    Aviation Finance
    Total speculation on my part (not having actuarial a done)......expect greater than %50 depreciation over 3-4 years with these gen1 models. I’ll get flamed for saying that, but it’s just my opinion!

8. therealtommylee

therealtommylee New Member

First Name:
    Tommy
    Vehicles:
    991.1 GT3, C7 A6
    I don't think that's all that unreasonable. Four-door performance vehicles that aren't limited editions tend to have pretty steep depreciation curves. If you look at the Panamera's depreciation curve as a reference, it follows that trajectory where it's at ~50% depreciation somewhere in the 3-4 year timeframe. Although I'm dreading that, I also can't think of a more exciting car to own that can fit my 2 young kids, allow me to drive like a maniac in the winter, and enjoy hooning around town in the warmer months like I currently do with my GT3. I've also thought about ditching my A6 for a used 2018 M5, but we also own a Tesla Model X and there's nothing quite like the instant torque of an EV.

9. Rotordude

Vehicles:
    ?
    Aviation Finance
    Nice!
    After my disappointment with the Taycan as a whole package, my C4S 991.2 is the best vehicle for me. 7spd manual does amazing fuel consumption on long trips and can open up the beast on the track......while spewing hydrocarbons off course;) I’ll prolly just order a VW ID3 to quell my EV tech addiction!