My Spec and a couple of questions

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
I’m base in the UK and do not see the point of performance battery plus for my daily commute and the fact we have a large ICE SUV for any longer family journeys.......

522bhp will be fine for my daily driving and i don’t think the range boost warrants the price IMHO
Sponsored

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I’m base in the UK and do not see the point of performance battery plus for my daily commute and the fact we have a large ICE SUV for any longer family journeys.......

522bhp will be fine for my daily driving and i don’t think the range boost warrants the price IMHO
from what i can see it only adds range (and not much) , I've seen nothing showing any performance difference

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
The battery plus pack takes the 4S to the same power output as the Turbo :)

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag

It's the same old question of residuals and whether this is one of the options that most buyers will want. My guess is that due to the pace of advancement in electric cars and especially around range - going for this option will be advantageous. I do agree though - the price being charged does seem a lot for the small uplift in range...

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Oh yes on paper it is absolutely extortionate for what it provides but I don't want to end up with a car that I am unable to shift later on. We must remember that when the time comes to sell these on the electric technology would have advanced quite a bit so the most up to date functionality we have then the more desirable the car to the next owner.

As for what it adds (from Porsche):

The new model is available with two battery sizes and delivers with the Performance battery up to 390 kW (530 PS; combined electrical power consumption 24.6 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions 0 g/km) or with the Performance battery Plus up to 420 kW (571 PS; combined electrical power consumption 25.6 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions 0 g/km).

The Turbo also has 571 PS.

For me to have the same power of the Turbo at £25k less made a lot of sense.

RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
From past experience I've found buyers from Porsche dealers no different from other brands. Imho, regardless of what options you have on the car they usually low ball you due to some reason or other, unless its a halo car. However, there are some options that are deemed a must have on Porsche to lessen the blow at trade in.This time round I was in two minds do I go bog standard spec 4s or put on a few options that reflect Porsche dna. I went with the later and ended up at 103K despite restraint when picking the options compared with 127K for a turbo with the same options.

Last edited:

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
Oh yes on paper it is absolutely extortionate for what it provides but I don't want to end up with a car that I am unable to shift later on. We must remember that when the time comes to sell these on the electric technology would have advanced quite a bit so the most up to date functionality we have then the more desirable the car to the next owner.

As for what it adds (from Porsche):

The new model is available with two battery sizes and delivers with the Performance battery up to 390 kW (530 PS; combined electrical power consumption 24.6 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions 0 g/km) or with the Performance battery Plus up to 420 kW (571 PS; combined electrical power consumption 25.6 kWh/100 km; combined CO2 emissions 0 g/km).

The Turbo also has 571 PS.

For me to have the same power of the Turbo at £25k less made a lot of sense.

spoke to my local dealership this morning and on their system it says adds range!!! but couldn't confirm what it does to performance

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
What TAYC4N is saying is incorrect. The 4S does not have nearly the same power as the Turbo, regardless of what battery you choose for it. Keep in mind all of the models have 2 different power figures, one is the general power you have at your command at any time, and the other is the overboost power. Overboost is only used in launch control mode, meaning when you accelerate from a standstill.

In fact the 4S doesn't reach Turbo's general power even in overboost mode. Turbo has 460kw/625ps regular power and 500kw/680ps overboost power. The 4S with the larger battery has 360kw/489ps regular power and 420kw/571ps overboost power.

The 4S has a smaller rear engine than the Turbo which is the reason it has less power. But in terms of range the 4S with the large battery beats all other models.

Keep in mind that when comparing the 4S with the small battery vs large battery, at slower speeds they are pretty much equal in acceleration. This is due to the fact that the version with the smaller battery weighs less. However, the reported performance figures do show a small performance advantage in longer accelerations / higher speeds, for the 4S with the large battery. But the difference is fairly small, as in much smaller than the difference to the Turbo.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Thanks for that Singularity - Seems like we are all being told different things by our dealers! It's s shame they are not as clued up as forum members - but that is usually the case I guess.

I swear I also saw a youtube video which talked about adding the Battery pack making the power output the same as the Turbo I will see if I can find it later tonight and post it.

The text I copied and pasted above from my dealer...scary!

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Taking into account that everything I said is sourced from official Porsche materials, it is quite concerning if a dealer is saying something else instead. That is a big issue as it could cause someone to buy something with false information. But I guess that is solid grounds to cancel without any penalties.

I personally ordered the 4S with the large battery, knowing all of this. The Turbo was simply over my budget and I decided to stay within my budget. But I have had no doubts in the month or so after making the order. Very excited about the car, and I believe I made a good choice. My dealer is still insisting my delivery is in February even with rumours about the delays - we'll see. Prepared to see some delay though.

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Guys
i have spoken with my local dealer today and been advised that all Porsche dealerships have been told of a 12 week delay on existing orders! (i think ones that are due early 2020)
all dealerships should be advising customers of this, mine is a March build which at the moment should still be with me in April (but I'm anticipating May/June)

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I asked my dealer about the delays too and they told me there is no delay to my order and I will see the car in Feb 2020.

Dealers with conflicting info yet again! Let’s see what happens. A part of me thinks that Porsche are deliberately delaying UK cars as the 0% BIK only kicks in from April 2020.

Many Potential owners of the cars destined to be delivered in Feb like mine have asked if they can take delivery in April (according to my dealer) so this maybe why they have decided to delay for a while. Time will tell!

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
I asked my dealer about the delays too and they told me there is no delay to my order and I will see the car in Feb 2020.

Dealers with conflicting info yet again! Let’s see what happens. A part of me thinks that Porsche are deliberately delaying UK cars as the 0% BIK only kicks in from April 2020.

Many Potential owners of the cars destined to be delivered in Feb like mine have asked if they can take delivery in April (according to my dealer) so this maybe why they have decided to delay for a while. Time will tell!
Is your dealer happy for you to delay until April? I had to turn down a January build slot as I was told I would have to take delivery in Feb / March....

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is your dealer happy for you to delay until April? I had to turn down a January build slot as I was told I would have to take delivery in Feb / March....
whelp, turns out that wasn’t something you needed to worry about. You couldn’t have known, though.

Penners

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Discovery 5
Country flag
Completely agree, should have ordered and then would be April anyway! ‍
Sponsored