Our 2020 Porsche Taycan Preview Renderings!

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Of those teaser photos, all but the one from the rear could conceivably come from the unveiled version of the mule car. The side and front shots match up very closely to the latest "spy" photos.

The shot from the rear, well, there's no way that's going to be production. I'm guessing it will be the same sort of curves but significantly less exaggerated and likely more linear rather than curved. You can see from the mule shots that the rear end is significantly extruding out from the body, nice wide rear haunch, but without the dramatically rounded tire flares. I'd wager those turned out to be a no-go for aerodynamics and efficiency.

The mule is the Taycan with probably some very clever camouflage and potentially a few Panamera panels to hide the most dramatic parts. Period. The unveil will surely look better than the mules but there is a reason they changed the name from Mission E; it's not the same car. Maybe they will release a limited GT version that's much closer to the original concept but the Taycan will be the Taycan, not the Mission E.
Yeah, I think it will have really similar proportions to the Audi E-Tron GT, but in my opinion the rear of the Taycan will look nicer than the E-tron GT's
Sponsored

Fanatical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-Type
Country flag
Once again; all those of you who are saying "I don't like it, I'm cancelling my reservation, blah blah......"
SEND ME YOUR RESERVATION SPOT!! I love the designs I'm seeing, and I'm +100 on my dealers list.......SEND ME YOUR RESERVATION SPOT!!
Agree with this. I've been around long enough to know not to expect the production version to come anywhere close to the concept and that comparing the two would inevitably lead to disappointment. One question no one asks is how much would that concept cost to build for the masses? It's a pure design exercise unbound by cost, production, safety or legal constraints.

Judging the Taycan on its own I'm very happy with what I see even on the mules. It's going to look so much better revealed in final form and seen in the metal.

Joys4me

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Spyder
Country flag
Call me crazy but I don't like this at all. It lost all the character and curves of the Mission E prototype.

I don't care about the suicide doors but without the huge side skirts tying into both large/wide front and rear fenders just kills the look of this car.

Great effort on the rendering but if these are at all accurate to the final version they just completely sterilized it and turned it into a boring Panamera (with a different front/rear end).

There are much sexier pictures of the Mission E out there but I chose this one because it is more plain and has the same angle as the renderings above.

This looks a million times better to me and this is what I have my deposit on and am waiting for (2nd @ my dealer):

Porsche Taycan Our 2020 Porsche Taycan Preview Renderings! clip-24

I don't think I can get into it if it looks like the rendering.

I totally agree with you it’s lost its mojo with these renderings I want to mission E or nothing. Cannot believe that Porsche would create all this hype, collect deposits and then warm up a Panamera for their new electric car! What a joke

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I totally agree with you it’s lost its mojo with these renderings I want to mission E or nothing. Cannot believe that Porsche would create all this hype, collect deposits and then warm up a Panamera for their new electric car! What a joke
Porsche doesn't work that way. VWAG doesn't have any issue with making money like a certain CA-based EV maker, which allows them to take their time to produce a high quality vehicle. If you have a deposit on the car, I would suggest being patient. I don't think they will have any problem selling out their first year of production. And compared to most auto manufacturers, they have a great track record on reliability of new models in their first year.

Reactions: TIM

Ash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes-Benz
Country flag
those photos look a little better at least the car front but I agree with others, the mirrors, the sides are just like the Panamera. To me, this look like the Taycon was built on the Panamera chassis. the suicide doors were really cool, I don't know why they removed them but saying cost is the reason makes no sense considering that the car will cost an upward of $90K. Tesla has the wing doors and I thought it was brilliant for Prosche to counter with the Suicide doors. not sure why they changed their mind but let's wait and see the actual final version.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
those photos look a little better at least the car front but I agree with others, the mirrors, the sides are just like the Panamera. To me, this look like the Taycon was built on the Panamera chassis. the suicide doors were really cool, I don't know why they removed them but saying cost is the reason makes no sense considering that the car will cost an upward of $90K. Tesla has the wing doors and I thought it was brilliant for Prosche to counter with the Suicide doors. not sure why they changed their mind but let's wait and see the actual final version.
Suicide doors are not practical for everyday use. I had originally wondered the same thing, then I read a post from a guy who bought an i3 (suicide doors) and really regrets it. Think about parking with someone in the back seat...

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Suicide doors are not practical for everyday use. I had originally wondered the same thing, then I read a post from a guy who bought an i3 (suicide doors) and really regrets it. Think about parking with someone in the back seat...
I also have a BMW i3 and really love the suicide doors, so YMMV. I believe the main disadvantage of suicide doors (as shown on the Mission E) was the body wouldn't be as solid due to the lack of a B-pillar. The i3 uses an aluminum chassis with a CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) body, so it's super strong but is very expensive to manufacture.

Big_Pete1999

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why yes, I do have vehicles, thanks for asking
Country flag
I agree with everyone saying they will ask for their deposits back. I will as well. I put one down the day the deposit program started.
The wide fender flares and suicide doors will make/break it for me.
When I saw all the mules I said "so they're making an electric Panamera? PASS!!!" as I personally find the Panamera an "unattractive" car.
It's just very pedestrian.

Give me the flares. There's no reason not to do it.
Give me the suicide doors. Again, there's no reason not to do it. If you have family you want in the back seat, get the Cross Turismo version when it comes out next year.

And the "it's the Taycan not Mission-E" crowd, sorry, but they are selling the Taycan as the Mission-E. They are one in the same. Why would they call the final version a "mission"? It makes no sense. It's their mission to build that car, so... mission complete! What are they gonna do, call it the "Porsche E"? haha

The reason the suicide doors are so "make or break" with me is because it allows the Taycan to be a 4 door car but with a 2 door aesthetic. I don't plan on having people in the back seat on a regular basis. And anyone wanting to be back there can get over the fact that it's a suicide door vehicle. But if you don't like it, then stay out of my car, ya know?

The side mirrors don't bother me at all. But the wide bulbous fenders and suicide doors are make or break issues.

Oh, and one other thing because someone asked about "how much could it cost to produce the concept?" and people talking about road legality. What you are failing to understand is that the concept car was driven on public roads. In order to actually drive a vehicle (concept or not) on a public road, you have to register it. And in order to register it, it must be street legal. So sorry, but Porsche very much so CAN make the concept vehicle exactly how it was designed and I can't imagine it would cost any more than the production vehicle. I mean, we're talking a B-Pillar here. It's 2019, it's no big deal. If lesser manufacturers than Porsche can do it, then Porsche can certainly do it.

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that there are certain types of temporary registrations for concept/test vehicles that skip the standard rules and regulations of cars. That and money. So, that theory is weird.

Big_Pete1999

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why yes, I do have vehicles, thanks for asking
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that there are certain types of temporary registrations for concept/test vehicles that skip the standard rules and regulations of cars. That and money. So, that theory is weird.
I'm sure you're right.
But that's one hell of a lot of liability they would be taking on (lawsuits in the billions potentially) because of a) the big named millionaires they had driving it, and b) how many thousands of vehicles with people in it did they endanger driving it to locations for videos/photo shoots/ publicity? Even if they blocked off sections of highways, you still have the potential of major destruction if something blew up or whatever, causing millions in damage to roads and bridges and structures.

I'm not arguing your point because I don't work there and I wasn't part of any permitting process. I just don't see why they'd take unnecessary risks unless they were protected.

The entire reason this was mentioned is because people have said that it wouldn't be realistic or legal (paraphrasing) to make the concept as it was. Which is a complete pile of doo doo, and I was pointing to the fact that they made a plenty safe to drive (and race) concept car. If it wasn't able to be done, it wouldn't have actually been done... which it was :)
Sponsored