Porsche released the latest design sketch of the Taycan from the design studio in Weissach today

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Since first deliveries of the Taycan are promised for 9 months from now, do we really expect the final product to differ from the cars seen testing other than where the camo is attached? In other words do we expect a different body shape by having different front and rear quarter panels? Personally I think that is highly unlikely.

I do expect the front headlights, currently covered by camo, to look much more like the Mission e headlights. And I expect the taillight bar, currently covered by camo, to go all the way across the back. And I expect the rear valence to be different since it will at least lose the fake exhaust tips. And I don't understand what the camo on the C-pillar is masking.

Taycan spy shots have been posted from at least half a dozen different locations. They all look the same in terms of the main body panels. It would be interesting to find an existence proof for spy shots of a car 9 months before first availability where the major body panels were different when the vehicle went into production. I am not aware of one. It certainly wasn't true with any of the McLaren models in the past 7 years.
Sponsored

Last edited:

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
Since first deliveries of the Taycan are promised for 9 months from now, do we really expect the final product to differ from the cars seen testing other than where the camo is attached? In other words do we expect a different body shape by having different front and rear quarter panels? Personally I think that is highly unlikely.

I do expect the front headlights, currently covered by camo, to look much more like the Mission e headlights. And I expect the taillight bar, currently covered by camo, to go all the way across the back. And I expect the rear valence to be different since it will at least lose the fake exhaust tips. And I don't understand what the camo on the C-pillar is masking.

Taycan spy shots have been posted from at least half a dozen different locations. They all look the same in terms of the main body panels. It would be interesting to find an existence proof for spy shots of a car 9 months before first availability where the major body panels were different when the vehicle went into production. I am not aware of one. It certainly wasn't true with any of the McLaren models in the past 7 years.
That whole front fender itself at least is a taped on panel from the Panamera

You've seen the teaser video as well from Porsche, the front fenders on the production Taycan are as different from the mule's taped-on front fenders as chalk is from cheese.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
That whole front fender itself at least is a taped on panel from the Panamera

You've seen the teaser video as well from Porsche, the front fenders on the production Taycan are as different from the mule's taped-on front fenders as chalk is from cheese.
These fenders are from the Cross Turismo, not Panamera.
In fact, the whole body is a Cross Turismo.
Now I'm thinking....
Why would Porsche reveal a full blown Cross Turismo which looks exactly the same as the mules driving around?
I don't get it.
Now I'm afraid the Taycan is just a lowered Cross Turismo.
Also cuz the interior of the Cross Turismo looks WAY more like a production interior than the Mission E interior.
Just my €0,02.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
These fenders are from the Cross Turismo, not Panamera.
In fact, the whole body is a Cross Turismo.
Now I'm thinking....
Why would Porsche reveal a full blown Cross Turismo which looks exactly the same as the mules driving around?
I don't get it.
Now I'm afraid the Taycan is just a lowered Cross Turismo.
Also cuz the interior of the Cross Turismo looks WAY more like a production interior than the Mission E interior.
Just my €0,02.
But the teaser video shows that the Taycan has a very different front fender to the front fenders shown on the mules and the Cross Turismo.

If it really did look like a lowered Cross Turismo wouldn't this be evident in the initial Taycan teaser pictures Porsche released last year?

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That whole front fender itself at least is a taped on panel from the Panamera.
I suggest looking carefully again at all of the winter testing photos in this article. You can clearly see where things have been taped on and where there are production components. The headlight covers are taped on, the front fenders are not. They have production fit and finish with the hood and doors. The same with the rear fenders.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108285_2020-porsche-taycan-spy-shots-and-video

Reactions: Dee

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I suggest looking carefully again at all of the winter testing photos in this article. You can clearly see where things have been taped on and where there are production components. The headlight covers are taped on, the front fenders are not. They have production fit and finish with the hood and doors. The same with the rear fenders.

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1108285_2020-porsche-taycan-spy-shots-and-video
What about the fully painted Miami Blue and Lava Orange body panels clearly seen beneath the black cladding? The mules are probably not representative of the final product at all.

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
I thought they might do away with the side view mirrors? Read somewhere that cameras will be in place and images will be projected inside the cockpit? Nevertheless, the car will be impressive. With the buzz going around a lot of pressure will be on them. Especially on their debut!
Will vary from country to country as to regulations. I’m confident it’ll be an option IF legal where you buy it.

But how will that be when you go on vacation to another country where it’s not legal?

SHY

First Name
Svein Harald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ymr.no
Vehicles
Mercedes R-Class, Saab 9-5, Mac Minarelli X30 gokart
Country flag
Looks to me like a new side profile in the sketches, above the air outlet. Very cool!

BTW I saw a Panamera ST (my dream car) parked next to a VW Golf the other day. To my big surprise the roofline looked to be about the same height.

Really agree guys on a needed low roofline for the sportscar look! :D

Tall riding Cross... no thx! :stop:

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What about the fully painted Miami Blue and Lava Orange body panels clearly seen beneath the black cladding? The mules are probably not representative of the final product at all.
Good point. I hadn't noticed that, but can now see it in the closeup photo of the charging port.

Kaimaani

First Name
Jyrki Laitinen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S
Country flag
I have had difficulties to have enough space for my helmet in my Cayman S. I am 186 cm tall. Finally I had to buy a lower recaro seat and now all is okay. By the way, I yesterday made an pre-order of Taycan. I can hardly wait for it. The Porsche retailer in Finland Auto Carrera told that it will be delivered latest in march 2020. Lets see.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag
To make you all feel a bit better, remember that according to this sketch, the Taycan is much closer to the Mission E concept than the '08 Jaguar XF was to the C-XF concept

k\Yoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Cooper
Country flag
I hate to break it to you but these two sketches look nothing alike. They made it look like a regular car now, as it no longer looks like a race car with a lower front end.

fbTzdwK.png

wCgAQSi.png
Just to be captain obvious here. These sketches are from the Mission E. The sketches from the OP are from the Taycan. To different vehicles.

robox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5/ Maloo
Country flag
Wait something just occurred to me:

The rear ends of the Taycan in the sketch and the teaser look very different. In the teaser, the image is dark but I've done my best to highlight it, there's the integrated spoiler we saw on the Mission E.

However, in the sketch, it appears to show a smooth deck? It's an obvious source of conflict, and one which I've been very confused about, very baffled about.

I really like the integrated spoiler, so I'm hoping it's an omission on the part of the sketch

EDIT: On the teaser image my highlighting attempt, I've accidentally obscured the front mirrors, the second picture is of the Taycan

porsche-wallpaper-2.jpg

Porsche-Taycan.jpg
Hi The Snape
I’ve been a bit bored so reviewing old posts
I finally see the point you were trying to make here
I think your right if you believe the integrated spoiler has survived the cut, not due to the sketch, as you say the sketch is just at the wrong angle to get a clear view and appears like it might not be there or at least difficult to tell (conveniently though, it doesn’t give too much away)
However the teaser images (the second multi coloured set, not the blue and black stripes one) show a huge rebate where at the junction of guards and roof meet
(and appears to get even deeper, judging by the slope it’s on). This rebate would be a serious water collector, it cannot simply just stop dead, the tracking water must flow under and out
Reckon a version of the E spoiler is IN
This is also supported (as you inferred) by the deep rebate look at junctions in rear end shot
If so, it would really take that Panamera look completely away and enhance the overall E look that a lot of members are missing
Sponsored