Taycan real world Range

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
It's been brought up before, and is a genuine concern for some of us.

Realistically, most people here won't buy the Taycan, nor were they ever planning to, so many real world discussions dead-end while the endless comparisons to Mission e prototype get the most attention.
Speak for yourself, Captain Ass-umptions. My lease is up on my Macan soon, and the Taycan is taking it's place.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nevadagame

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Hello guys! I've been reading this forum for a long time. I'm a deposit holder for the Taycan. To me the range is at this point clearly the #1 issue. I'm quite likely going to be happy with the looks, quality, performance and driving characteristics. But due to the range issue I'm currently quite unsure if I'm going to buy the Taycan.

Currently the closest estimate we have for Taycan's range is the Audi E-tron, and here is a good article on the *real world* range of that car: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ip-review-wait-range-ratings-arent-everything

Based on that road trip test the E-tron has a real world range of 184 miles. This is with "normal driving", meaning multiple accelerations/overtakes and AC on etc, not the type of driving where you would intentionally try to maximize range. That kind of driving is not what I'm personally interested in. I already own a decently fast car (tuned Audi A7) and I drive it accordingly - faster than 95% of other drivers. I'm very worried about range issues at this point.

184 miles is approximately 300km. I need to drive a 270km route fairly often, and currently here in Finland this route has 0 fast chargers. Meaning anything above 50kw. There are plenty of 22kw and 50kw ones but they are very slow. For this route I have read that there will be *1* 350kw charging station built this year with 4 charging points. That is it, for this year.

So, to summarize, if the Taycan range is equal to the E-tron, it is highly unlikely that I'll buy it. It is simply not convenient for me. I would in that case wait for electric cars (and the fast charging infra) to evolve a bit before going there. But if the real world range is something like 400km, I am a likely buyer.

So here are my thoughts, and at this point the thing I'm waiting for the most, is information on the real range. We need WLTP or EPA numbers, which are close enough to real world range to estimate the actual range with certain type of driving.
Expect about the same as a 2013 Model S 70D or a 2018 Chevy Bolt (240miles) or just short of a new Hyundai Kona, (258).

beaudawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Speak for yourself, Captain Ass-umptions. My lease is up on my Macan soon, and the Taycan is taking it's place.
No need for adolescent name-calling, take it elsewhere.

I'm happy for everyone that has deposits down, or is on their dealer list, or otherwise plans to buy a Taycan. I'm part of that group as well. But the range concern has lacked teeth on this forum, and many others, regarding Taycan. There is no reason to give Porsche a pass on this topic simply because of their history.

For your situation, I hope "soon" means well into 2020.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Hello guys! I've been reading this forum for a long time. I'm a deposit holder for the Taycan. To me the range is at this point clearly the #1 issue. I'm quite likely going to be happy with the looks, quality, performance and driving characteristics. But due to the range issue I'm currently quite unsure if I'm going to buy the Taycan.

Currently the closest estimate we have for Taycan's range is the Audi E-tron, and here is a good article on the *real world* range of that car: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...ip-review-wait-range-ratings-arent-everything

Based on that road trip test the E-tron has a real world range of 184 miles. This is with "normal driving", meaning multiple accelerations/overtakes and AC on etc, not the type of driving where you would intentionally try to maximize range. That kind of driving is not what I'm personally interested in. I already own a decently fast car (tuned Audi A7) and I drive it accordingly - faster than 95% of other drivers. I'm very worried about range issues at this point.

184 miles is approximately 300km. I need to drive a 270km route fairly often, and currently here in Finland this route has 0 fast chargers. Meaning anything above 50kw. There are plenty of 22kw and 50kw ones but they are very slow. For this route I have read that there will be *1* 350kw charging station built this year with 4 charging points. That is it, for this year.

So, to summarize, if the Taycan range is equal to the E-tron, it is highly unlikely that I'll buy it. It is simply not convenient for me. I would in that case wait for electric cars (and the fast charging infra) to evolve a bit before going there. But if the real world range is something like 400km, I am a likely buyer.

So here are my thoughts, and at this point the thing I'm waiting for the most, is information on the real range. We need WLTP or EPA numbers, which are close enough to real world range to estimate the actual range with certain type of driving.
Agree. Range is key in this purchase equation

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Expect about the same as a 2013 Model S 70D or a 2018 Chevy Bolt (240miles) or just short of a new Hyundai Kona, (258).
Part of what is missing from this discussion is that those cars cost $35K-$70K. For the first year the Taycan is going to cost $130,000+. For that money you should be able to "have it all" - looks, performance, handling, and range.

JGP

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 M5, 2017 Tesla , 2017 C4S Cab
Country flag
Why is the Taycan driving range being advertised using the obsolete NEDC testing cycle? (maybe for the same reason we’re looking at pictures of a mission E and we’re soon to look at the actual Electramera ) From my understanding a 310 mile NEDC result will be an actual 240 mile real world EPA result. ( a full 100 Miles less than the larger heavier model S ). It sounds to me like Porsche battery technology is a decade behind. Just look at the Audi e Tron at 204 miles from a 95 KWh battery. (same company, same technology) Why is everybody ignoring this discussion?
I have a Model S 100D and I don't get anywhere near 310 in real life and live in Florida on flat roads....

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
so if we think that the numbers on the center console are correct real world driving figures then the 100% range would be about 385km...... on a 96kwh battery..... that’s about what i was getting on my original T model S..... with an 85kwh battery..... so not exceptional but sufficient considering one probably dive a porsche more aggressively than a T model S.........

Porsche Taycan Taycan real world Range EE4D7A12-0F43-4455-95BC-85D725846E8A

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To follow up on what others have said, Tesla battery tech is several years ahead of .... everyone on an industrial scale and they’ve been tuning their software and infrastructure based on real world results for 6 years. The Model 3 performance trim is a fantastic. One of the best cars available. It’s also Tesla v2 platform, re-envisioned after the model S. It still has better batteries than the model S, and the S only got motor upgrades as good as the 3 this summer.

this is Porsche’s v1. It’s where Tesla was 3-4 years ago. The Taycan’s J1 architecture was developed with Audi and is very similar to the e-tron. I expect the next model successor to the taycan will be significantly better. It’s going to have range that several years behind Tesla. It’s Porsche’s first major BEV initiative and it will have issues.

But not everyone needs 500km. I drive 25mi / day. Long trips involve flying. A 2015 Model S with 911 handling, Porsche build quality, and carbon ceramic brakes ? F—- Yeah.

maybe not for everyone. The rate of change here is going to be astounding. Maybe pass on the 2020 model. Or maybe lease. A lot of different Demographics

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
i’m actually quite pleased. i also understand all this and think they have done a pretty good job. and as i always say: this is why i LEASE bevs! that way i can upgrade to the next best thing when it arrives. :)

GyAkUsOu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A1 GB
Country flag
so if we think that the numbers on the center console are correct real world driving figures then the 100% range would be about 385km...... on a 96kwh battery..... that’s about what i was getting on my original T model S..... with an 85kwh battery..... so not exceptional but sufficient considering one probably dive a porsche more aggressively than a T model S.........
I don't think it makes much sense to speculate about the maximum range based on these images and the numbers displayed.

There are so many variables to take into consideration. How hard the car was driven and what driving mode was selected. In another image you can see that the SPORT-mode was activated. That impacts range.

There's also a RANGE-mode that surely yields better results.

this is Porsche’s v1. It’s where Tesla was 3-4 years ago. The Taycan’s J1 architecture was developed with Audi and is very similar to the e-tron. I expect the next model successor to the taycan will be significantly better.
The Taycan J1-platform has nothing to do with Audi e-tron SUV architecture.

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
To follow up on what others have said, Tesla battery tech is several years ahead of .... everyone on an industrial scale and they’ve been tuning their software and infrastructure based on real world results for 6 years. The Model 3 performance trim is a fantastic. One of the best cars available. It’s also Tesla v2 platform, re-envisioned after the model S. It still has better batteries than the model S, and the S only got motor upgrades as good as the 3 this summer.

this is Porsche’s v1. It’s where Tesla was 3-4 years ago. The Taycan’s J1 architecture was developed with Audi and is very similar to the e-tron. I expect the next model successor to the taycan will be significantly better. It’s going to have range that several years behind Tesla. It’s Porsche’s first major BEV initiative and it will have issues.

But not everyone needs 500km. I drive 25mi / day. Long trips involve flying. A 2015 Model S with 911 handling, Porsche build quality, and carbon ceramic brakes ? F—- Yeah.

maybe not for everyone. The rate of change here is going to be astounding. Maybe pass on the 2020 model. Or maybe lease. A lot of different Demographics
my concern about Tesla is they are 6 years behind in exterior design with no plans to upgrade the S or X. Boring sedan look for me personally is a deal breaker

newreef77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Country flag
First of all, let´s wait for the real numbers on Sept. 04 ;-) Range is for sure a topic but everyone has to make his own scenario. What´s my daily range, how often do i need more than 400km a day, what is the main reason to buy this car.

My very personal view is, that i´m looking out for a sporty car which allows me to take my wife and 2 kinds on a nice weekendtrip. Use it for daily work and buisness trips (between 10- 250km) and having lots of fun driving it (also fast). Nothing more and less. All these points are perfectly fullfilled with the Taycan. Even when charging will be as fast as predicted this car will fit FOR ME in a perfect way.

And to be honest, if you drive your 911 Turbo in a very sporty way, 400Km range is optimistic ;-) (65l tank and 15l +per 100km)........

Only my point of view. And fortunately no one has to buy the Taycan it´s your choice.......

domin1720

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 macan gts
Country flag
First of all, let´s wait for the real numbers on Sept. 04 ;-) Range is for sure a topic but everyone has to make his own scenario. What´s my daily range, how often do i need more than 400km a day, what is the main reason to buy this car.

My very personal view is, that i´m looking out for a sporty car which allows me to take my wife and 2 kinds on a nice weekendtrip. Use it for daily work and buisness trips (between 10- 250km) and having lots of fun driving it (also fast). Nothing more and less. All these points are perfectly fullfilled with the Taycan. Even when charging will be as fast as predicted this car will fit FOR ME in a perfect way.

And to be honest, if you drive your 911 Turbo in a very sporty way, 400Km range is optimistic ;-) (65l tank and 15l +per 100km)........

Only my point of view. And fortunately no one has to buy the Taycan it´s your choice.......
Same , I don't have the range concerns as long as it's decent and fun to drive.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
Same , I don't have the range concerns as long as it's decent and fun to drive.
It comes down to this: can you live with a somewhat shorter range in exchange for the Porsche unparalleled driving dynamics or are you going to be satisfied with an extended range in an econo-box?
Sponsored