Featured Taycan to Star in Porsche's First Super Bowl Ad

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by Tye, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Tye

Tye Administrator

Porsche will run first Super Bowl ad, will feature electric Taycan

November 25, 2019

Porsche will run the first Super Bowl ad in its history as it seizes on the year’s largest TV audience to push the Taycan, its first all-electric vehicle.

“The Super Bowl’s scale and energy make it a perfect venue for reaching new audiences — in a fun way that connects with the Super Bowl’s own themes of performance and competition,” the brand said in a statement to Ad Age, an affiliate of Automotive News.

A spokesman declined to provide creative details, other than to confirm it will be handled by ad agency Cramer-Krasselt. The agency has worked on the brand’s U.S. advertising in the past but Porsche is in the midst of an agency review.

Porsche parent Volkswagen Group has a long history of running Super Bowl ads. In recent years, the automaker has dedicated the game to Audi. Its flagship VW brand has not been in the Super Bowl since 2014. Audi and VW have not confirmed if they will be in the 2020 game.

The Super Bowl, with its massive audience, is typically favored by mainstream car brands, such as Toyota and Hyundai, plus luxury brands with scale, like Mercedes-Benz and Lexus. Porsche, with its expensive price tag, is of course only attainable for a select group of wealthy buyers. But it is not unprecedented for pricey sports-car brands to try to make a splash at the Super Bowl. Honda-owned Acura, for instance, ran ads for its NSX supercar, priced at more than $150,000, in both 2012 and 2016.

Porshce’s Taycan, which will hit dealers in December, is priced at $154,860 for a Turbo version and $188,960 for a Turbo S version, according to Automotive News. A base model priced under $100,000 is expected to hit dealers in the second half of next year.

The Taycan is part of VW Group’s electric vehicle onslaught as the German-based company, like other auto brands, dedicates more resources to EVs in the face of stiffer global regulations on gas-powered cars. Audi last season dedicated its Super Bowl ad to its electric vehicle ambitions.

2. evanevery

evanevery Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicles:
    2019 BMW i8 Roadster, 2016 Tesla Model X, 2016 BMW M4 Race Car
    Porsche needs to spend more effort in actually MAKING the cars and less time advertising something they can't seem to deliver...

$0.02

3. Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vim
    Vehicles:
    Porsche Panamera GTS
    Yes, hyping a Super Bowl advertising blitz at the same time they announce a 2 month delay in initial production makes me feel the same.

4. EnjoyTheDrive

EnjoyTheDrive Active Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicles:
    Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
    crazy that they are supposedly sold out with over 20k orders yet they are spending money on a super bowl ad. Wow, they have nothing on Tesla. I have my order in for the Taycan, but you have to question why they would need to advertise, especially during one of the times when the cost for an ad is way overpriced. Porsche is Porsche and what they are doing is wasting money as these dollars should go to developing better battery technology to try and catch Tesla and their 7 year moat.

5. OHWHATDA

OHWHATDA Member

Vehicles:
    Audi A4
    Guys, I'm pretty sure the people working in marketing are not the same people in the factory building cars. They're not pulling folks off the line to make commercials.

6. domin1720

domin1720 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicles:
    2017 macan gts
    The Tesla Fanboy Basement Mafia stuns me more and more every single day. I am glad you like your Tesla, I think it is a GREAT car to load up the kids and take them to Applebees or Cracker Barrel. A wonderful , practical A to B vehicle . Porsche is Porsche for a reason

rb911c4s likes this.
  7. EnjoyTheDrive

EnjoyTheDrive Active Member

First Name:
    Ray
    Vehicles:
    Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
    I agree that Porsche is Porsche and that is why I have owned 5 Porsche’s in my life, However, the FACTS are that Porsche Battery technology is 7 years behind Tesla and it shows in their Taycan. To get 200 miles out of of their best battery which is 93 kWh, where Tesla’s 85 kWh from2012 is getting 250+ miles of range, that is a significant difference. Porsche is known for their engineering so you would think that they would be able to have Better Battery technology knowing what Tesla has been working on these last 10+ years. If the Tesla fanboy basement mafia stuns you more and more everyday, then the Porsche fanboy basement mafia takes it one step further. Facts are facts.

8. charliemathilde

charliemathilde Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    I mean it’s true but I sure wish they spent more effort on talking to my dealer and telling us wtf is going on instead of a commercial for ... 2021 sales ?

EnjoyTheDrive likes this.
  9. evanevery

evanevery Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicles:
    "Sold Out"? They haven't sold $hit!

In order to be "Sold Out" you actually have to have SOLD something. They can't even begin to SELL anything until they release some ALLOCATIONS. All they "have" right now is a bunch of deposit holders WAITING for allocations.

So, NO, they aren't SOLD OUT. The only folks who apparently have access to Taycans is Journalists (and folks making Superbowl Ads)...

10. Rollep

Rollep Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Porsche 911, BMW i3
    Aha, so it's battery technology that gives Tesla better range. I must have got it completely wrong because for years I thought better range per kWh came from efficient drive-trains, low drag and wheels with low rolling resistance.

11. evanevery

evanevery Member

First Name:
    Ed
    Vehicles:
    I recognize your sarcasm, and I agree with you.

The KWH rating of a battery reflects how much power it can hold. Basically: A 93 KWH battery can put out 93 KW for 1 Hour, 1 KW for 93 KW Hours, or some multiple in between. A 93 KWH battery can do approximately 9% more work than an 85 KWH battery. So Tesla's battery technology has nothing to do with the vehicles extended range. 85 KWH is 85 KWH. One might try to claim that a reduction in battery weight (i.e. "technology") might give some limited advantage, but this is not that...

12. felixtb

felixtb Well-Known Member

First Name:
    felix
    Vehicles:
    Porsche: Taycan ordered; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, 3, new roadster reserved
    architect
    It is however, a little surprising that Porsche has decided to go out and advertise the Taycan at the Super Bowl..... because if they have deposits to build up to about 40000 cars and they are having a hard time ramping up..... they could just wait to advertise until they can produce so that they do not get stuck in the dilemma of having even more deposits and very few deliveries creating their own model 3 syndrome with a lot of not very happy potential customers...……. So in my book a questionable move.....

13. charliemathilde

charliemathilde Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    thermal management and software are two critical areas Tesla holds a very large lead in. The battery chemistry is basically the same. Tesla’s cell packaging has made some different trade offs, better for weight and range. Porsche is also handicapping itself ~12% as unusable reserve capacity (over provisioning).

14. TheSnape

TheSnape Well-Known Member

Vehicles:
    Ford Fiesta
    Good good, I get to see more beauty shots of the Taycan

15. alevek

alevek New Member

First Name:
    Al
    Vehicles:
    Panamera 2018, Chevy Bolt 2017, BMW i3 Rex 2015, Tesla P85D 2014
    Tesla does not have a 7 year moat. They have an obsolete battery and Supercharger technology that is being surpassed by every OEM, especially Porsche.