Where will you be charging - at work, work or?

Discussion in 'Charging & Batteries' started by JayGT4, Jan 31, 2019.

1. JayGT4

JayGT4 New Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicles:
    GT4
    Just saw this new section, I'll start! What will your charging habits be?

Will most of you be charging - at home or at work? Anyone hoping to have an Electrify America charger pop up around them or at a close dealership so you can mostly charge for free?

I'm personally hoping that my local dealership (Porsche Irvine) gets a charging station since I pass it daily on my commute and can easily top up in just a few minutes after work since my commute isn't many miles. It'll give me a frequent chance to drop in and check out what's in the showroom too :)

DrParis likes this.
  2. daveo4EV

daveo4EV New Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster, Bolt
    Software Engineer
    I'll be charging mostly at home for my convenience - I have a 3 charger setup where the 3 chargers can split/share the load and charge up to 3 EV's at once sharing a 100 amp 240 volt circuit - the charger's dynamically adjust load to share while up to 3 EV's are charging, and as each EV finishes the load is then redistributed to the remaining EV(s) until all EV's are fully charged.

home charging and never getting in the car with an "empty" fuel tank in the morning is one of many pleasures of owning an EV in my opinion - it's full every morning just like my cell phone after charging overnight - also home electricity rates are typically much cheaper than public charging network rates - so it's also cost effective.

3. Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock New Member

First Name:
    Vim
    Vehicles:
    Porsche Panamera GTS
    I'm hearing the charger will be inductive, so they'll probably just supply you with a 'mat' that you can place on the garage floor to charge the car whenever you pull-in. Should be pretty nice.

4. daveo4EV

daveo4EV New Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    Tesla(s), 911 GT3, Boxster, Bolt
    Software Engineer
    inductive charing would be awesome.

5. TAEKON

TAEKON New Member

Vehicles:
    550M R8 S4 300B
    Primarily home charging (assuming Porsche is so kind as to make a Taycan for me), as I live in a very remote location and public chargers are/will not be very convenient. Longer term my aim is to roadtrip my car, so learning the “on the road” etiquette will be v. Important!

6. DrParis

DrParis New Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicles:
    2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
    I plan to sneak into my neighbor’s garage twice a week and get me some free ‘lectricity

7. JayGT4

JayGT4 New Member

First Name:
    Jay
    Vehicles:
    GT4
    Interesting. First I've heard of an inductive charging option. I assume the charging rate will pale in comparison to direct charging cable though? Wonder how much slower....