Audio options and charging.

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S1, Porsche Taycan ST GTS
Country flag
Please can someone clarify the practical impact of moving from standard equipment through to Bose through to Burmeister, in terms of books space etc?

I believe that the upgrades come with an additional subwoofer, but would like to understand how much this affects the luggage area?

Also, I’d like recommendations for the EV I need to set up in my garage:
- I’m not having the 22kw onboard charger as overnight charging from home will be sufficient, and adding 3-phase to my garage is going to be very expensive.
- I am going for the 140kw onboard booster to minimise charging time in the event that the Tesla superchargers are accessible to Porsche in the future.

So what charging cables does that give me with the car? Which ones will I need to keep in the boot for public charging, which will be needed at home, and what box will I need on my garage wall at home?

Thanks for educating me!

Current spec us as follows:
http://www.Porsche-code.com/PN321T74
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Please can someone clarify the practical impact of moving from standard equipment through to Bose through to Burmeister, in terms of books space etc?

I believe that the upgrades come with an additional subwoofer, but would like to understand how much this affects the luggage area?

Also, I’d like recommendations for the EV I need to set up in my garage:
- I’m not having the 22kw onboard charger as overnight charging from home will be sufficient, and adding 3-phase to my garage is going to be very expensive.
- I am going for the 140kw onboard booster to minimise charging time in the event that the Tesla superchargers are accessible to Porsche in the future.

So what charging cables does that give me with the car? Which ones will I need to keep in the boot for public charging, which will be needed at home, and what box will I need on my garage wall at home?

Thanks for educating me!

Current spec us as follows:
http://www.Porsche-code.com/PN321T74
Bose is the sweet spot of the 3.

Standard doesn't provide a subwoofer.

The subwoofer is hidden from view so the flat load space in the boot is the same for all. In the boot there is an additional hidden storage area (under a lid) to store charging cables etc. This may be slightly shallower (or not) with a subwoofer. Not really anything to worry about or notice.

150kW 400V DC Booster option is worth ticking (cheap) for the likelihood of having access to a Tesla Supercharger (120kW 400V) or legacy 150kW 400V which exist in UK or common place in Ireland (and elsewhere in Europe).

The only public cable you need is for AC as some of these have no cable and are often referred to as 'untethered'. Standard cable connection to the charge point and the charge port on your car. So Public Mode 3 is the only choice.

The car comes with the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) which is an EVSE (Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment) / wall box (not a charger in the true sense as the charger resides physically in the car for both AC and DC charging, unfortunately EVSEs get referred to as 'chargers' when they aren't).

PMC+ is good for single phase (std UK domestic supply) and when paired with a dedicated 32A supply from your fuse box will give you the best possible arrangement - 7.4kW home charging. The unit is 'portable' but typically you don't need to but can if you have somewhere remote to go and no nearby charging locations. In this scenario you will be limited with a 13A 3 pin plug supply and glacially slow charging speed - so use in case of last resort. So, the supply cable connects to the PMC+ and your 32A supply and a separate cable is supplied with the PMC+ to connect it to your car.

To accompany the standard 13A 3 pin cable you get with the PMC+ also option 'Supply Cable for red industrial electrical outlet (400V, 32A, 5 pin)' as this will be rated to carry the electrical supply from your fuse box to the outlet in your garage. You'll need a qualified electrician to do the installation work including the 5 pin receptacle for your supply cable. If you can't get 32A then you will be limited to 16A (slower charging) and could downgrade the supply cable. I would check if you can get the 32A cable and still use it on a lower amperage circuit at 16A (I expect so but not qualified to say so). As the cable is 'free' best to get more than you need!

As an option to the PMC+ you can pay more for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) which can supply 22kW on a suitable 3 phase supply and have the 22kW AC charger optioned on your car. No need to do this unless you have a specific reason - you may not have 3 phase at home but may want to use 22kW AC public charger points for example (I'm assuming not and that your public charging will be predominately DC).

When you get your car you will get a bag with a PMC+, 13A 3pin supply cable to connect the PMC+ to your car and the selected supply cable. That's it and no other cables are needed - 3 in total with the PMC+ (or PMCC) and 1 for public charging needs mentioned above.

If you don't want to use the PMC+ then you can source an alternative but IMHO you would need a good reason to do so - I can't think of one. If this is the route you go then the cable selection is the same - Public cable (no change), Supply cable (no change) and whatever EVSE you choose will come with 13A 3 pin and a cable for connecting the EVSE to the car (please check with supplier to ensure you get these basics / essentials).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bose is the sweet spot of the 3.

Standard doesn't provide a subwoofer.

The subwoofer is hidden from view so the flat load space in the boot is the same for all. In the boot there is an additional hidden storage area (under a lid) to store charging cables etc. This may be slightly shallower (or not) with a subwoofer. Not really anything to worry about or notice.

150kW 400V DC Booster option is worth ticking (cheap) for the likelihood of having access to a Tesla Supercharger (120kW 400V) or legacy 150kW 400V which exist in UK or common place in Ireland (and elsewhere in Europe).

The only public cable you need is for AC as some of these have no cable and are often referred to as 'untethered'. Standard cable connection to the charge point and the charge port on your car. So Public Mode 3 is the only choice.

The car comes with the Porsche Mobile Charger Plus (PMC+) which is an EVSE (Electrical Vehicle Supply Equipment) / wall box (not a charger in the true sense as the charger resides physically in the car for both AC and DC charging, unfortunately EVSEs get referred to as 'chargers' when they aren't).

PMC+ is good for single phase (std UK domestic supply) and when paired with a dedicated 32A supply from your fuse box will give you the best possible arrangement - 7.4kW home charging. The unit is 'portable' but typically you don't need to but can if you have somewhere remote to go and no nearby charging locations. In this scenario you will be limited with a 13A 3 pin plug supply and glacially slow charging speed - so use in case of last resort. So, the supply cable connects to the PMC+ and your 32A supply and a separate cable is supplied with the PMC+ to connect it to your car.

To accompany the standard 13A 3 pin cable you get with the PMC+ also option 'Supply Cable for red industrial electrical outlet (400V, 32A, 5 pin)' as this will be rated to carry the electrical supply from your fuse box to the outlet in your garage. You'll need a qualified electrician to do the installation work including the 5 pin receptacle for your supply cable. If you can't get 32A then you will be limited to 16A (slower charging) and could downgrade the supply cable. I would check if you can get the 32A cable and still use it on a lower amperage circuit at 16A (I expect so but not qualified to say so). As the cable is 'free' best to get more than you need!

As an option to the PMC+ you can pay more for the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC) which can supply 22kW on a suitable 3 phase supply and have the 22kW AC charger optioned on your car. No need to do this unless you have a specific reason - you may not have 3 phase at home but may want to use 22kW AC public charger points for example (I'm assuming not and that your public charging will be predominately DC).

When you get your car you will get a bag with a PMC+, 13A 3pin supply cable to connect the PMC+ to your car and the selected supply cable. That's it and no other cables are needed - 3 in total with the PMC+ (or PMCC) and 1 for public charging needs mentioned above.

If you don't want to use the PMC+ then you can source an alternative but IMHO you would need a good reason to do so - I can't think of one. If this is the route you go then the cable selection is the same - Public cable (no change), Supply cable (no change) and whatever EVSE you choose will come with 13A 3 pin and a cable for connecting the EVSE to the car (please check with supplier to ensure you get these basics / essentials).
Thanks for such a detailed reply - lots for me to read and try and understand there!
If I understand correctly, as long as I have a dedicated 32A supply in the garage, I don't need anything extra.

Regards
Simon

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Thanks for such a detailed reply - lots for me to read and try and understand there!
If I understand correctly, as long as I have a dedicated 32A supply in the garage, I don't need anything extra.

Regards
Simon
No problem.

Yes - get that 32A supply with the correct receptacle to connect to your PMC+ and you should be good for home charging. Please discuss with an Electrician first before sourcing.

For Public AC charging (untethered / no cable for you to use) you will need the Public Mode 3.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No problem.

Yes - get that 32A supply with the correct receptacle to connect to your PMC+ and you should be good for home charging. Please discuss with an Electrician first before sourcing.

For Public AC charging (untethered / no cable for you to use) you will need the Public Mode 3.
Ok, another £210 for the Public Mode 3 cable!

Is the Home energy manager (£387) necessary?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Home Energy Manager is not required.

Useful if you have solar and electric as you can configure a mix for charging purposes.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
FWIW: I charge on a dedicated 60A circuit and get consistent 8.9kw charging. 32A is not enough IMO.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Hi, let me apologise and correct my earlier advice on supply cables as I was checking the standard specs again.

You will get a 32A supply cable with the car and therefore don't need to source another.

Public Mode 3 cable is still required for untethered public charge points - you may / may never use it but a good insurance to always carry one.

Standard spec - 13A 3 pin & 32A supply cables together with PMC+ (incl 4.5m vehicle cable).

Porsche Taycan Audio options and charging. 1638539237647

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi, let me apologise and correct my earlier advice on supply cables as I was checking the standard specs again.

You will get a 32A supply cable with the car and therefore don't need to source another.

Public Mode 3 cable is still required for untethered public charge points - you may / may never use it but a good insurance to always carry one.

Standard spec - 13A 3 pin & 32A supply cables together with PMC+ (incl 4.5m vehicle cable).

1638539237647.png
Many thanks!

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Next question:

Which iphone apps are worth having to find charging points, and which companies do you need to have accounts with to access charging points at preferential rates?

Thanks!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Next question:

Which iphone apps are worth having to find charging points, and which companies do you need to have accounts with to access charging points at preferential rates?

Thanks!
ZapMap
BP Pulse ( requires a subscription which may not be suitable), Shell Recharge, ChargePlace Scotland, Ionity, your local council, other petrol companies ( do a search).

Most operate a PAYG so no need to collect cards until you suss it out.

OP
OP
Sidicks

Sidicks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ZapMap
BP Pulse ( requires a subscription which may not be suitable), Shell Recharge, ChargePlace Scotland, Ionity, your local council, other petrol companies ( do a search).

Most operate a PAYG so no need to collect cards until you suss it out.
Thanks - I’m expecting the vast majority of charging to be done at home, but when I do need to charge when I’m out then I want maximum flexibility and won’t be so concerned snout paying an extra few p per KW!

What I don’t want is to find a charging point and then have to spend 20mins downloading an app and setting up an account!
Sponsored