smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Hi Folks - Can you overlap decent quality vinyl colour wrap (not PPF) and expect reasonable longevity on the 'joint'?

cheers
Sponsored

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Did you ask an installer?

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
Did you ask an installer?
No installer involved.

I am considering doing a small cosmetic mod to my A7 wheels, and if it works out - would consider similar for the Taycan when it comes. Knowing whether it is technically possible to overlap beforehand would save me time and abortive costs.

proving if it works now (or not) would help me to decide which wheels to go for on the Taycan (final config decision in 2-3 months hopefully).

Cheers

Last edited:

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
not sure what you mean by overlap; however, if you mean laying wrap over wrap, the answer is yes.

That said, there is a lot of different types of product on the market that would avoid most of the reasons to do this. What is the application? If its to merge two colors at a joint that's done all the time - if you want a clean line at the seam, use knifeless tape too:

https://www.rvinyl.com/Knifeless-Ta...3ngc_lKfewI6cZ7exWJ4Js1LATON1O38aAm0eEALw_wcB

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
not sure what you mean by overlap; however, if you mean laying wrap over wrap, the answer is yes.

That said, there is a lot of different types of product on the market that would avoid most of the reasons to do this. What is the application?
Thanks - it's Just a small cosmetic uplift for wheels...... like the 'turbo design' wheels

Black gloss on some polished front flat surfaces and another contrasting colour on other polished flat surfaces - overlap only sufficient to ensure no gaps at join.

I will try to butt the joints first - but I suspect a small overlap would be neater.

cheers

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks - it's Just a small cosmetic uplift for wheels...... like the 'turbo design' wheels

Black gloss on some polished front flat surfaces and another contrasting colour on other polished flat surfaces - overlap only sufficient to ensure no gaps at join.

I will try to butt the joints first - but I suspect a small overlap would be neater.

cheers
What you will find is that wherever the wrap underneath ends, a small ghost seam will show as a defect.

I would lay knifeless tape on the seam you want - lay the first piece and cut the seam with the tape. Then do it all over again for the second piece. It should cut very clean and leave a perfect seam without having the get the overlap right. Color wrap is very thin compared to PPF and the knife tape should cut right through it.

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
What you will find is that wherever the wrap underneath ends, a small ghost seam will show as a defect.

I would lay knifeless tape on the seam you want - lay the first piece and cut the seam with the tape. Then do it all over again for the second piece. It should cut very clean and leave a perfect seam without having the get the overlap right. Color wrap is very thin compared to PPF and the knife tape should cut right through it.
Thanks Skilly - I have seen that technique on YouTube - will give it a go.

I will just play around with one joint to get it right

cheers

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks Skilly - I have seen that technique on YouTube - will give it a go.

I will just play around with one joint to get it right

cheers
the tricky part is snapping the tape.

Make sure to leave enough exposed and the wire is pulling through the tape before it gets to cutting the vinyl. Also, at the point where it is about to cut, apply pressure with your finger at that entry point before its pulled to cut. If you don't, it risks just pulling the vinyl up.

Hopefully that makes sense!

OP
OP
smoothound

smoothound

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo Acid Green PTS
Country flag
the tricky part is snapping the tape.

Make sure to leave enough exposed and the wire is pulling through the tape before it gets to cutting the vinyl. Also, at the point where it is about to cut, apply pressure with your finger at that entry point before its pulled to cut. If you don't, it risks just pulling the vinyl up.

Hopefully that makes sense!
Thanks again Skilly this is so useful - will have a play - cheers
Sponsored