Charging ports retrofit

disar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi!
I just bought Taycan from USA. It has CCS1 and type1 charging ports, so I need to change them for Europe standard. Did you have idea what I will need to do that?
Sponsored

Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
I am pretty sure it is not going to be easy or cheap !

lcarron

First Name
Laurent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo 4S
Country flag
Hi!
I just bought Taycan from USA. It has CCS1 and type1 charging ports, so I need to change them for Europe standard. Did you have idea what I will need to do that?
Some adapters exists but seems to be limited to 125 or 175 amps.
search for ‘adapter ccs1 ccs2’

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I am pretty sure this is something that the dealer can easily remedy. Have you asked them for a quote?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
You will also very likely need a different onboard AC charger (3 phase for Europe, single phase in USA) and new wiring harnesses between the charging ports and the charger. Then probably a new software/firmware for the AC charger to talk to the high voltage booster (you can think of it as the DC charger, needs to talk to AC charger as all PLC communications go via the AC lines).

How on earth did you end up with a USA Taycan in Europe? Europe has more Taycans than USA, so I find it interesting it was worth importing one from the USA rather than finding one in Europe already.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am pretty sure this is something that the dealer can easily remedy. Have you asked them for a quote?
I wouldn't be so sure. In the USA the dealers won't even entertain upgrading the AC charger from 11KW to 22 KW, which would be a no more difficult (likely a bit simpler) upgrade.

ct-andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S CT (eta Feb)
Country flag
The most interesting topic on this forum so far. I guess you will need ship it back to US ??

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
I wouldn't be so sure. In the USA the dealers won't even entertain upgrading the AC charger from 11KW to 22 KW, which would be a no more difficult (likely a bit simpler) upgrade.
I’ve had my driver side port changed under warranty and from memory the service advisor told me this was no more than 90 minutes job. It’s just a face plate / socket.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve had my driver side port changed under warranty and from memory the service advisor told me this was no more than 90 minutes job. It’s just a face plate / socket.
Your service sounds like it was "like-for-like replacement" which is much different than replacing all of the following which you'd need to upgrade from 11KW to 22KW, or from single phase to three phase
  1. Charger ports (both charge ports if upgrading from single phase to 3 phase, new pins/wires on both). Perhaps if upgrading from single phase 11KW to single phase 22KW the charge port itself *might* be the same, but probably not (pins need to be rated for 2x the current).
  2. AC charger (rated for higher current or different number of phases), AC charger is sometimes called "high voltage charger" and looks like this
    Porsche Taycan Charging ports retrofit 1644830120364
    (USA version). Notice multiple connections including one per charging port (two big orange connectors), one for high voltage booster (smaller orange connector), two for coolant loop (yellow pipes on the bottom of the picture), and one for other communication buses between ECUs (black connector).
  3. AC charger harnesses (for one or two ports, depending on how many ports you have to replace), this is to get more wires for 3 phase or thicker wires for higher power rating
  4. New firmware load, possibly to multiple ECU's
While not impossible to do, it would be very expensive for customers, therefore not a lot of takers for this service, therefore Porsche doesn't bother working out a procedure to train all the dealerships/techs on how to do it (and yes, the cost of creating this upgrade procedure and documentation would have be amortized over the number of people who want to pay for it). This is why in the USA dealers don't offer 11KW to 22KW upgrades. I am not sure if they do in Europe, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either.

Last edited:

Yorkshirepuds

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST, Harley Heritage, Triumph Rocket 3
Country flag
you'd need to upgrade from 11KW to 22KW, or from single phase to three phase
Are you sure he'd need to upgrade to 22kW/3 phase?
'Single phase charging (up to 7Kw)' is the standard spec in the UK with 22kw 3 phase being an expensive option.... I expect it's the same in the rest of Europe.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
'Single phase charging (up to 7Kw)' is the standard spec in the UK with 22kw 3 phase being an expensive option.... I expect it's the same in the rest of Europe.
To move the car from single phase US to 3 phase European you don't need to go to 22KW, however even 11KW 3 phase requires 2 more pins and two more power wires than a single phase US (either 11KW or 22KW), which means new charge ports, new wiring harnesses (two more power wires to each port, even if thinner), and new AC charger.

I was using a USA 11KW to USA 22KW upgrade as an example (both single phase), which apparently dealers will not do for similar reasons (even though no additional wires, existing harness still needs to be replaces with one rated for twice the current).

Btw, there may even be an additional harness which would need replacing between the AC charger and high voltage booster, but probably only if going up in power (such as 11KW to 22KW) since that is already in the high voltage DC domain.

Last edited:

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
In Belgium 3 fase 11 kw is standard. 3 fase 22 is optional.