Coming from Tesla to Taycan, but worried about charging on road trips.

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Not all of them have a chargign cable length and position that is compatible with the Taycan. With some charging is only possible by occupying 3 spots. And officially you can’t do. If most chargers are free and you stay around your car and move if necessary it won’t be a problem probably.
Sorry mate going to disagree with that in the UK. First Tesla SC sites I go to (Sidcup / Lakeside) are always empty, a few Ts no more and the odd BMW. Second, yes the cable is short so you park in the bay to the right. Yes it takes a charger out of the game to the right but no one is there anyway.
Sponsored

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not true- only about 1 in 5 UK Superchargers are open to non-Tesla vehicles and these are typically the locations that aren't in high demand.
Just sign up for the Octopus Electric Verse 1 card supplier aggregator card. Also the Porsche app has a really good function that calculates what charging stations to go to when you set the destination. I really don’t see the problem.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Sorry mate going to disagree with that in the UK. First Tesla SC sites I go to (Sidcup / Lakeside) are always empty, a few Ts no more and the odd BMW. Second, yes the cable is short so you park in the bay to th. Yes it takes a charger out of the game to the right but no one is there anyway.
I know mate. Same in the rest of Europe. I didn’t say they were occupied. I said that some charger configuration are less compatible with the Taycan for the allowed parking position. Elon’s instructions are clear and mention that if the car can’t be parked in the intended way the charger can’t be used. Doesn’t mean one has to follow the instructions and nobody will care anyway if most chargers are free, correct. Some chargers are by the side and those are best. The most difficult ones are in front of the bay and some have a bump on the ground to prevent hitting the charger. Those are unreachable with the Taycan in a normal way. I have charged on those by parking transverse on 3 bays in front of the charger (3rd picture). But you can’t do that when it is busy and that’s my point when you planning to use a specific charger on a road trip. I look on charge map / PlugShare and usually they have a picture of the charger to see if I can connect in a normal way. Some chargers around Nancy and Metz have the first configuration and may be unusable on busy days. Arlon (last picture) has more than 30 chargers in the second configuration so I do use that one if necessary. The one at the Flexiplus lounge at the tunnel is also easy to use (for right hand drive cars but you also park on the right if free, no charger there)

Porsche Taycan Coming from Tesla to Taycan, but worried about charging on road trips. IMG_4758

Porsche Taycan Coming from Tesla to Taycan, but worried about charging on road trips. IMG_4584

Porsche Taycan Coming from Tesla to Taycan, but worried about charging on road trips. IMG_4759

Porsche Taycan Coming from Tesla to Taycan, but worried about charging on road trips. 9a61a019-abf6-46ac-beb7-438458232e6

Last edited:

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That last ph
I know mate. Same in the rest of Europe. I didn’t say they were occupied. I said that some charger configuration are less compatible with the Taycan for the allowed parking position. Elon’s instructions are clear and mention that if the car can’t be parked in the intended way the charger can’t be used. Doesn’t mean one has to follow the instructions and nobody will care anyway if most chargers are free, correct. Some chargers are by the side and those are best. The most difficult ones are in front of the bay and some have a bump on the ground to prevent hitting the charger. Those are unreachable with the Taycan in a normal way. I have charged on those by parking transverse on 3 bays in front of the charger (3rd picture). But you can’t do that when it is busy and that’s my point when you planning to use a specific charger on a road trip. I look on charge map / PlugShare and usually they have a picture of the charger to see if I can connect in a normal way. Some chargers around Nancy and Metz have the first configuration and may be unusable on busy days. Arlon (last picture) has more than 30 chargers in the second configuration so I do use that one if necessary. The one at the Flexiplus lounge at the tunnel is also easy to use (for right hand drive cars but you also park on the right if free, no charger there)

IMG_4758.png

IMG_4584.jpeg

IMG_4759.jpeg

9a61a019-abf6-46ac-beb7-438458232e6e.jpeg
That last photo is almost the set up for the T SC UK sites I use. But the charger is actually next to the bay and separates the bays so you can park beside them (not on a kerb in front). Maybe Tesla have learnt that with newer sites installed. More practical for non Teslas definitely.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
That last ph

That last photo is almost the set up for the T SC UK sites I use. But the charger is actually next to the bay and separates the bays so you can park beside them (not on a kerb in front). Maybe Tesla have learnt that with newer sites installed. More practical for non Teslas definitely.
Yes they should all be like the last onenor the one you describe. Thats the charger in Arlon. 40 stalls and many 250Kw. Perfect and reliable charger location on the way to France. Ionity did some improvement in the region too installing a 18 charger facilty around Metz.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
It really is, so it looks like I will have to. To me, the Taycan Turismo is the most attractive EV out there at the moment & I'm a big Porsche fan, but it would only make sense to me as a daily dirver if I stuck within its range and charged at home.

It's such a shame that the EV manufacturers still haven't built a competitive charging network. Ionity looked promising at one point, but they only have 19 locations in the UK and just over 100 chargers. So unless I retire or move to a more developed country I guess I'm stuck with the Tesla- which of course is no real hardship, but it would have been nice to have a change!

More han happy to be corrected by any UK Taycan drivers. Responses from members in the US about the EA charging network are obvioulsy irrelevant. I would have hoped previous respondents would have realised this!
I have regularly travelled 300 and 600 mile round trips away from home and it's really just a question of planning your trip. My trips are to the same locations and so I have familiar charging stops. My preferences are Gridserve, Ionity, Shell and BP pulse (no apps needed just tap and charge). All are very straight forward I have never had to queue (maybe lucky) and prefer Porsche Sales Centres (who doesn't like charging at 250Kw + ) there are few of these but have been quite handy for me. In Uk Porsche charge a kw price and a price per minute - a recent 55kw charge cost me equivalent of 56p/Kwh. There are only 4 superchargers stops on my route that I travel and two of these are open to all comers but I haven't used them. So far charging hasn't been an issue. I'm sure others will have a different experience. However with Model X and S off the table driving the Taycan vs a Model Y .... no contest really.
Sponsored