BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
My father has a 1933 Chevrolet Coupe. Only 10,000 of them were made. He also has some impressive 1972 El Camino that was just completely restored. Classic cars, the both of them. Neither one needs to be replaced by a more recent model.

I love my 2020 Taycan. Was somewhere around the number 25th buyer out here in Silicon Valley and have loved it every day that I have owned it. I love going into my garage and seeing it there as a beautiful work of art that I get to drive.

I happen to appreciate all the changes Porsche is making to the Taycan and will someday have them as my own when this particular car doesn't work any more. Until then, I put myself on the waiting list for the MY '25 or '26 EV 718 comes out. Yes, Porsche is making an electric convertible roadster, and that's the car I have been waiting for. Until then, I'm going to continue to drive the car that consistently brings a smile to my face.
Sponsored

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
I have a 2020 Mamba Greem metallic 4S, which was one of the earliest shipped.
After 3.5 years I have 20k miles on it, with zero problems.
In September I retired the lease, and bought an eight year Porsche insurance policy for it.
With that coverage, I can rest easy that Porsche will be on the hook for any expensive repairs.
I plan to own it until 2030, and add a Cayman E to my EV collection when it becomes available.
Who knows...maybe the launch cars will become collectible....wishful thinking?

OP
OP
RAHRCR

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I agree - maybe we should lobby for Porsche to offer a battery upgrade retrofit in a few years?
Although they have produced 150,000 of the Gen 1 and will likely produce a few more thousand before Gen 2 goes into production, I still dont think that they would do it. The batteries alone may not be enough to make difference. It might be easier for them to offer us a “loyalty credit” as a way to say thank you for participating in their first EV experiment and to keep us in the family.

Porsche, if you are listening……

jrmuppet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Volvo XC60
Country flag
My 22 4S is still the best car I have ever owned by far. When the .2s hit the street it will be the second best EV on the road imo. Still the best looking.

It is great to see the progress in EV tech with the next gen. It bodes well for the 718 and future Taycan generations.

when I ordered my 4S I new the price for a sedan would depreciate greatly and planned to hold on to it for the full 8 years of warranty. I was lulled into a false sense of hope as the used car market sent prices skyrocketing and disappointed when that came crashing down. Still, I feel like I am back to where I started.

If anyone is in the market for a used Taycan you can now get an amazing sports car with amazing tech for a steal. That will bring a whole new set of fans to the brand and forum.

This forum has been amazing. From providing so much detail to informing my build, from discussion on dashcams, to charging strategies. And probably the best of all are the inspiring roadtrips. It has been truly a great community. However, it is also filled with all the issues and things that can go wrong. Complaints about dealers and Porsche corporate. Plenty of recalls and software issues.

I used to check this forum daily at first but 20k miles in and with all the software having settled down I find I check it less and less. At this point I still love the car as much as ever and I am excited for the next six years if it. Depending on price I may add an EV 718 along the way or just wait to see what is available in 2030.

KLHubb

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2009 911S 2012 Cayenne
Country flag
Agree totally, and by the way, if one takes care of the battery, especially in cooler climates like the NE, the battery should be very useful well beyond the 8 year warrantee. Charge them gently at 8+ KW at home, and don't charge above 80% unless you need to. My general charging range is between 75-35%, unless I am headed out on longer trips. A parsimonious Yankee should be able to hold on to these vehicles well beyond 10 years....that is if you care to, and can resist the blandishments of great new technology.

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I honestly wouldn’t trade my Gen 1 for the gen 2. Albeit the improvements are extremely notable I just don’t value the improvements over the Gen 1styling. Call me crazy, but I think there’s going to be just as big a market for the Gen 1 as the Gen 2 due to the exotic styling, thus increasing demand. Also, the new ones are expensive and the Gen 1, has approached a very attractive price point for a new buyer pool who always loved Porsche who maybe couldn’t afford one before. I’m telling you guys, prices will stabilize and potentially go up a bit in future. I understand it’s not a 911, but look at the 997.2’s they’ve held strong for a looooong time. I love my Gen 1, keep your Gen 2.

PS .1 Taycan has more performance than most will need

Last edited:

noev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
87 Carrera, 97 Carrera S, 21 Carrera 4S, 21 Rover
Country flag
Really love my 2020 Turbo and even in the Bay Area it somehow gets a lot of attention — more than my 992 and 993. Styling still feels very fresh.

Porsche Taycan Gen 1 Taycan Support Group… IMG_3764

Porsche Taycan Gen 1 Taycan Support Group… IMG_3766

Porsche Taycan Gen 1 Taycan Support Group… IMG_3785

ZenicaNC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Cayenne S E-Hybrid
Country flag
I just purchased a CPO Turbo and I'm not the least bit enticed by the gen2 refit. The gen1 has enough performance to thrill me and plenty for me to earn some points if I'm not careful. I held a vigil for the owner before me that faced down that depreciation and walked away. I hope they are enjoying their Cayenne. I rather like the gen 1 turbo front fascia and am looking forward to many years of ownership.

pedroleumjelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Triumph Trident, 2023 Taycan
Country flag
I’m a product designer so seeing the facelifted Taycan actually made me lol irl

I got mine 9 months ago, and the way I look at it is I got my first Porsche and it’s a gorgeous one.

I also commute to Menlo Park from San Francisco three times a day, and while mine is a base RWD, it has every single imaginable option from the configurator. So I got the best balance of range and performance as far as I need it.

It may sound like I’m huffing some grade A copium, but every time I look at my ride I smile. That’s the vibe check for me, if it makes me look back at it as I walk back, then I made the right call.

I do have a philosophy for EVs and that is never own it. Leasing is the way to go, because batteries are consumables and at the end of the day a 30 year old Taycan will be a rolling shell, whereas a 30 year old 911 will always run.

I am curious what the facelifted one looks like in person, but in the mean time I’m just enjoying the hell out of the gen 1.
Sponsored