Is Porsche Selling Our Driving Data?

ChronoMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Taycan CT
Country flag
If one is that worried, there are analog cars to be had. EV (or most modern cars) is not the car you are getting if you are interested in privacy.
I think if your not worried, you aren't paying attention to whats going on here
the answer is not to drive an old analog car or a non-EV like a luddite
this will only become more of an issue in the future and consumers will have to become more technically aware and sophisticated in how they deal with these issues.
Sponsored

agurkas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 CT4S, Volvo XC90, BMW X3
Country flag
What is clear to me is that the only way we can get some kind of control over our data is to have GDPR-like protections. CA started with CCPA but we need more states to join.

bluesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW F10 M5 Comp, BMW F10 550i
Country flag
The surprising part of the NY Times article for me was that the GM OnStar data isn’t anonymized or aggregated - it’s customer-specific. It lists every single trip, speed limit violation, and sudden stop the driver made. It was tied to his identity through LexisNexis just like a credit report.

Semi-Anonymized data is bad enough. It’s much worse when it’s provided with fully identifying details.

It was provided because the customer didn’t opt-out of the data sharing agreement, which requires contacting OnStar support.
Back in the day of the C6 Corvette 15 years ago, a couple reputable CorvetteForum members reported getting calls on the OnStar system from OnStar operators who berated them for driving too fast.

The first was a driver who went to a deserted stretch of road in rural Canada to do a high speed run with noone around. Within minutes, they got the call. They said it was very eery considering that there was noone around for miles.

The second was a driver actually on the track at a driving event in a race-prep’ed car. Not sure why they took the call, but maybe they kept calling repeatedly. The driver was warned by an outraged OnStar employee that they should not be driving so fast…. It sounds made up, but it was reputable source.

After this, me and a lot of people unplugged the OnStar antenna. It appeared to work, since the mileage reported by OnStar on some quarterly mailing stopped having a number.

RMB

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
You can control what Porsche gets from the car or where your data goes. Go to "Account" on your My Porsche app and there's choices under settings and also under the privacy area including "do not sell or share my information"
Sponsored