Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
it’s a bit of a con, the charge is really a charger for use at home mounted either in or out of the optional case.

it’s way too bulky for mobile use but as I’m getting a Zappi installed next week (so I can charge from solar) then I’ll just keep the Porsche one as a backup via the 5 pin 32 amp socket as it will allow 11kw charging.
No reason not to charge from Solar with the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
No reason not to charge from Solar with the Porsche Mobile Connect Charger
the difference between the Zappi and Porsche is that the Zappi can be set to charge just off solar.

say you have solar generating a variable amount of solar power during the day, the Zappi can be set to just take the solar and not just a flat power load which would use grid power.

If the solar power dips, the Zappi pauses the charge until the solar is available again.

when I need a quick charge.I can force 11kw direct charge, when I’m home for the weekend then I can leave the car to trickle charge just with solar

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
When charging from solar, I’m assuming you harvest the solar energy in a battery? I’m looking at this, got a guy coming in a few weeks.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
When charging from solar, I’m assuming you harvest the solar energy in a battery? I’m looking at this, got a guy coming in a few weeks.
no, I just went for 3 phase solar, no battery.

if you go for a battery on 3 phase then you can either go battery (like the Tesla powerwall) which can only discharge on phase or a D.C. battery over 3 phases.

You have to look at the total amount including solar and battery and make sure you don’t go over the export limits with you DNO.

my solar, zappi, eddi, Harvi get installed next Friday, 10kw of solar.

feel free to ask or drop me a pm as I’m a solar ninja now after reading up on all things solar/batteries.

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
no, I just went for 3 phase solar, no battery.

if you go for a battery on 3 phase then you can either go battery (like the Tesla powerwall) which can only discharge on phase or a D.C. battery over 3 phases.

You have to look at the total amount including solar and battery and make sure you don’t go over the export limits with you DNO.

my solar, zappi, eddi, Harvi get installed next Friday, 10kw of solar.

feel free to ask or drop me a pm as I’m a solar ninja now after reading up on all things solar/batteries.
10KW of solar, so that’s a lot of panels? Also what happens at night if your charging? Just pull from the grid?

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
10KW of solar, so that’s a lot of panels? Also what happens at night if your charging? Just pull from the grid?
yep, 28 panels spread across 3 phases so 3.3kw max per phase.

I have a bit of shading for some panels so going solaredge as they have good optimisers that take shading into account.

battery payback is marginal at best

Powerwall battery holds 13.5kw @ 14p = £1.89 worth of electricity stored per fill up

cost of powerwall is around £7,500 installed

£7,500 (cost) / £1.89 (free electricity per charge) = 3,968 charges to payback.

that’s 10.87 years to payback presum9ng you can generate 13.kw a day to fill it up, including winter days.

I’m happy to go with free solar during the day and use octopus overnight rates at 5p for charging if required.

jetbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
im Interested in solar too. I don’t think it really has great payback but good to feed the car and help environmentally

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
yep, 28 panels spread across 3 phases so 3.3kw max per phase.
The solar panels generate DC, the Powerwall stores DC, and the Taycan charges with DC. Why do you have to convert in between to three phase AC? What fraction of the energy is lost as waste heat in the DC to AC, then AC to DC conversions between the solar panels and the Taycan battery? I have no experience with this; just puzzled.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The solar panels generate DC, the Powerwall stores DC, and the Taycan charges with DC. Why do you have to convert in between to three phase AC? What fraction of the energy is lost as waste heat in the DC to AC, then AC to DC conversions between the solar panels and the Taycan battery? I have no experience with this; just puzzled.
I’m no electrician but my understanding is that regardless if you have single or 3 phase at home both are AC so therefore to charge the car with your household circuit you need to charge via AC.

This seems a good article to show that DC charging via solar is quite complicated...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thed...r-i-can-use-with-a-dc-solar-panel-system/amp/

OP
OP
Gogs

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
DC chargers are expensive. I understand they are around £20k for a basic DC charger. Your correct that AC is single or Three phase. Three phase is just 3 live cables coming from the grid. Three phase supplies are 3 live, neutral & ground. It just means that you can spread the load across the three phases. Im not sure why the solar outputs to three phases, but I’m getting a guy round to quote me do I’ll find out more in a few weeks.
Sponsored