TaycanTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hi All! I'm planning my first long trip with my Taycan RWD on Friday. I've done trips to PA and Eastern Long Island, but nothing more than 100mi at a time. In this case, i'll be taking my son to overnight camp in Maine, and leaving from Westchester County, NY. I plan on using the ABRP app to help plan the trip, which looks like it's going to be about 320 miles. I'm on the smaller 79.2 kWh battery, which I plan on charging to 100% upon departure.

I apologize similar threads exist in this space, but I figured to post anyway to get most recent perspectives. Any words of wisdom for an EV newbie? How accurate is the charging station info that describes ones that are in service/out of commission? Would adding a storage shell to a roof rack significantly decrease battery performance?

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Ciprianbadic

First Name
Ciprian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD PB+
Country flag
I strongly suggest you use PlugShare and charge evey 150-200 miles depending on driving style. ABRP doesn’t have EVERY charging station and it’s not that accurate IMO.
On your question about the roof rack I can’t answer Im afraid. Safe trip!

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I strongly suggest you use PlugShare and charge evey 150-200 miles depending on driving style. ABRP doesn’t have EVERY charging station and it’s not that accurate IMO.
+2

OP
OP

TaycanTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
On your question about the roof rack I can’t answer Im afraid. Safe trip!
Thanks for the advice! I just compared PlugShare with ABRP, and it seems that you're spot on! Not nearly the number of stations with ABRP.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Hey Tony, I just returned from my first real road trip in my RWD with standard battery pack. With ideal weather conditions (outside temp around 80-85F), battery temp averaging around 90F, cruise set to 75 mph, 20 inch wheels, small family (combined weight of less than 400 lbs), no auto charge port covers (hence maximum aerodynamic efficiency), and Normal drive mode with lowest suspension setting, I was averaging right around 28/29 kWh per 100 miles -- which loosely translated into 260 miles of range. The terrain was also relatively flat. So for sure you can hit chargers every 200 miles without having to deal with range anxiety. My only problem was that I was forced once to stop at a Chargepoint location which had but a single (pathetic) 62.5 kW charger which delivered 48 KW to my Taycan. I would therefore try to plan my trip around EA 350 kW chargers to the extent possible as that will save a lot of time in the long run. Enjoy your trip!

OP
OP

TaycanTony

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
Hey Tony, I just returned from my first real road trip in my RWD with standard battery pack. With ideal weather conditions (outside temp around 80-85F), battery temp averaging around 90F, cruise set to 75 mph, 20 inch wheels, small family (combined weight of less than 400 lbs), no auto charge port covers (hence maximum aerodynamic efficiency), and Normal drive mode with lowest suspension setting, I was averaging right around 28/29 kWh per 100 miles -- which loosely translated into 260 miles of range. The terrain was also relatively flat. So for sure you can hit chargers every 200 miles without having to deal with range anxiety. My only problem was that I was forced once to stop at a Chargepoint location which had but a single (pathetic) 62.5 kW charger which delivered 48 KW to my Taycan. I would therefore try to plan my trip around EA 350 kW chargers to the extent possible as that will save a lot of time in the long run. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks! Glad to see you were able to do the trip on the smaller battery.

I think it's given I'll have to stop twice during this trip, but that's ok. The kid will have fun checking out the Pokemon cards at the Walmart...

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Thanks! Glad to see you were able to do the trip on the smaller battery.

I think it's given I'll have to stop twice during this trip, but that's ok. The kid will have fun checking out the Pokemon cards at the Walmart...
Prepare yourself for EA Walmart Q&A! In general, I feel like I would get fewer questions from fellow EV drivers about my mode of transport if I had simply landed a flying saucer in the Walmart lot. 🛸

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
I have a RWD with standard battery and have taken a few long trips. I am seeing the same range about 260 miles, I have always only used the EA stations as I like the plug and play free charging while I have it.
If you have Innodrive, set it and enjoy the long trip….I love this option in my car as I use it ALL the time on highways and back roads. I have never had an issue with it but I have found it works best when you have a car in front of you rather than on a back road with no other cars around.
Enjoy the long trip!
Sponsored