Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I didn't love any of the wheels available for the Turbo, so I just went with the stock ones and am considering powder-coating them on arrival.

2 questions:

1. The dealership said they have a vendor who can do it at $250/wheel, it's probably a premium, but less headaches since they'll do it before I get the car and have some accountability for it. How much of a premium am I paying though?

2. What happens with the porsche center cap? Can it be powder coated too (not the porsche crest, but the remaining area of the center cap).

Attached is a quick photoshop of my idea.

Porsche Taycan Powder Coating Wheels? 1

Porsche Taycan Powder Coating Wheels? 2

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I didn't love any of the wheels available for the Turbo, so I just went with the stock ones and am considering powder-coating them on arrival.

2 questions:

1. The dealership said they have a vendor who can do it at $250/wheel, it's probably a premium, but less headaches since they'll do it before I get the car and have some accountability for it. How much of a premium am I paying though?

2. What happens with the porsche center cap? Can it be powder coated too (not the porsche crest, but the remaining area of the center cap).

Attached is a quick photoshop of my idea.

1.png

2.png
Leaving the circle of bright silver is a nice touch and a similar effect like the gloss black wheels on our 2012 Cayman S Black Edition.

OP
OP
amelen

amelen

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.alexmelen.com
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Leaving the circle of bright silver is a nice touch and a similar effect like the gloss black wheels on our 2012 Cayman S Black Edition.
Yeah, I got the idea from my Panamera wheels that I really liked.

Porsche Taycan Powder Coating Wheels? Tw_800

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
I recently paid $800 to powder coat 4 wheels, mount & balance tires and install them. I did not have any masking or reveal as you are suggesting and I used the oem center cap with a silver ring. I'll find a pic for a close up. $1000 doesn't seem so bad if you have them leave the machined edge. They talked me away from matte black and I went with a semigloss which has so far been easy to maintain.

Christian J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4s, 1997 C2S, 1979 Turbo, 1976 3.0
Country flag
Looks good! They were able to just paint over the stock silver center cap? You didn't want to do full gloss?
Thanks. Thats the stock cap which has a silver rim that integrates with the spokes on the turbo wheel. I wonder if you can find an aftermarket cap that's black?
Sponsored