Resolved: Full Reset to fix odd PCM issue. May be useful in other cases

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I had an issue with my PCM - the navigation was locating me in a completely different area, wasn't updating and I was getting an error that "No Navigation data is available". Related to that, some services wouldn't work - presumably because it couldn't find the car.

I reset the PCM, even trying that multiple times, and that did not work.

Was about to bring it in, when I remembered a trick from the Bolt:
- Shut down the car
- Locked all the doors
- Kept my key away (so it doesn't accidentally unlock the car)
- Did not plug in the charger (I was at 70% and usually plug in at night to top it off to 80%)
- Left it like that overnight.

Voila. It all worked and the navigation and all of the other services worked just fine.

I think the time it was like that helped, since just locking and unlocking the door (like when I was driving around) did not work.
Sponsored

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I had an issue with my PCM - the navigation was locating me in a completely different area, wasn't updating and I was getting an error that "No Navigation data is available". Related to that, some services wouldn't work - presumably because it couldn't find the car.

I reset the PCM, even trying that multiple times, and that did not work.

Was about to bring it in, when I remembered a trick from the Bolt:
- Shut down the car
- Locked all the doors
- Kept my key away (so it doesn't accidentally unlock the car)
- Did not plug in the charger (I was at 70% and usually plug in at night to top it off to 80%)
- Left it like that overnight.

Voila. It all worked and the navigation and all of the other services worked just fine.

I think the time it was like that helped, since just locking and unlocking the door (like when I was driving around) did not work.
Our local Porsche Service Manager has repeatedly suggested manually turning off the car at home, lock the car with the remote, and move the key 30’ away overnight. Resets and cures a lot of ills. Have not had any serious problems since August.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sounds like rebooting your computer to fix Windows 95...
I don't understand why car manufacturers choose to build their own software. My phone rarely needs reboot any more and its user interface is much better than any car's nav system. I am glad to see Polestar is the first production car with Google software. I hope others will follow.
Sponsored