First Name
Marsh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Hi all,

For various reasons I am currently having to use a 3 pin plug to charge for a while. Due to the speed being so slow (around 2.5kw) I'm finding the battery is getting charged to about 60% each night. I'm then driving the car the following day and taking that down to about 30%, and then repeating.

I'm just wondering if this repeated charging between the 30% and 60% range, even though at a slow speed, will be causing any issues to the battery cells?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Charging from 30 to 60% is considered to be ideal. I have only experience of charging at 11 kW so no idea about slower charging. But I do not think it is any issue from what I have heard.
Repeated small charges are said to be better for battery health.

Jasper4S

First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s ST
Country flag
I’d like to add; the less stress on the battery, the better it is. So slow charging and small increments in SoC as you describe is perfect.

That said, don’t worry too much about your battery’s health. Multiple tests across different EV’s have shown that even in you abuse your battery by always charge from 10% to 100% and only use fast charging is not having a big as expected impact on the SoH. Yes of course it has impact, but it will not be like an iPhone battery that is worthless after 3 years of (ab)use.

rim23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi all,

For various reasons I am currently having to use a 3 pin plug to charge for a while. Due to the speed being so slow (around 2.5kw) I'm finding the battery is getting charged to about 60% each night. I'm then driving the car the following day and taking that down to about 30%, and then repeating.

I'm just wondering if this repeated charging between the 30% and 60% range, even though at a slow speed, will be causing any issues to the battery cells?

Thanks.
I’ve been doing that for a year on Taycan (though from 60 to 80) and for 2 years on BMW hybrid. No problems at all except that it’s freaking slow when it’s -10 C and below
Sponsored