Small weekend project for my incoming Taycan RWD

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
The evening is kind of slow so I thought I would share a few details surrounding yesterday's project of fitting OEM Porsche center caps to my Vorsteiner VFF-109 wheels.

While most Porsche models are equipped with 75mm center caps, to include the plain jane 19” wheels that we ordered our car with, our Vorsteiner VFF-109 wheels come with a 66mm cap.

Porsche Taycan Small weekend project for my incoming Taycan RWD Tq7Y0lZ

The Macan is the only modern Porsche with a 66mm cap. The Macan cap is really good looking too, as it has a concave face that looks great in my opinion.

Porsche Taycan Small weekend project for my incoming Taycan RWD jxBHE8y

There is a downside to this, as the Macan cap fits perfectly on the Vorsteiner wheel, however the tabs that hold the cap in place are nowhere close to fitting our wheels.

Since I really wanted to make these caps work and be perfectly centered, I decided to partake in a little project to machine some locking rings to hold the caps in place.

The concept of the project was quite simple, I needed a ring that had the exact inner diameter of the hub bore of my wheels which was 70.50mm and have an outer diameter that matches the Macan center caps tabs at 47mm.

The most efficient way to accomplish this was to use a mill/drill/lathe combo.

The project began with some 0.125 sheet aluminum stock. I used a 3” OD hole saw to cut out four discs that were slightly larger than the 70.50mm outer diameter that I needed. The four discs were bolted together and chucked into the lathe to be turned down to 70.50mm. (I was not super concerned with the runout on these because I was only getting the outer diameter roughed in).

Once I had the outside diameter of the disks sorted out, I then chucked them back into the lathe and used a 1.75” hole saw to make an initial bore, then used a cutting tool to open the bore to 47mm.

While the project was simple and not too time consuming, it is always great to know that you are able to make something to please the wife ♥

Here are the finished locking rings…

Porsche Taycan Small weekend project for my incoming Taycan RWD hx2c2Tl

and a silver center cap mounted in place on the wheel (we will be using brand new gloss black colored oem caps)

Porsche Taycan Small weekend project for my incoming Taycan RWD qh1cHA4

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Nicely done! :fist bump: