f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that they just used stock tires which come with the car. Taycans may not come with the absolute best tires. Since I picked my car up in the winter, I drove with GoodYear UltraGrip gen1's on the car for the first couple of months. In the spring I put on the original Continental ProContact all seasons and found the car noticeably less sure-footed in the wet than the GoodYear winter tire. I don't have quantifiable data yet, but will try and do a max stop test in the wet, using the same same spot before and after I swap in the winters, note max G the car records on both - still not fully scientific, but should give me some idea which tire grips better.
Anecdotally in 1993 Michael Schumacher qualified really well but always lost places at the start so I decided he should do a practice start at every pit exit at every test both to get him more used to the sensitivity of the tiny clutch we were using (to lower the engine C of G). Testing now banned :(
I also did tests on tyres and tyre preparation once he had familiarised himself with the vagiaries of this clutch.
The early composite friction material increased friction so much as it heated once the bite point was reached the driver had to stop raising the pedal, or even depress it a bit, to prevent the engine bogging down. We actually abandoned it later and raised the engine to use a more easy to control clutch.

Anyway there was a consistent gain with each softer compound of tyre and doing burnouts to get the surface temperature optimum made another worthwhile gain.

I am sure Porsche publish the 0-100kph figures using the standard tyres fitted to the 19" or 20" rims, depending on model.
It is no surprise most testers get better figures because almost none of the cars supplied for tests will have base tyres.

I am sure the acceleration on my winter tyres will be inferior to that on my summer tyres on dry warm tarmac. The opposite will be the case on cold wet road.

The launch part of stability control may have different parameters for different models to distinguish them though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I am sure the acceleration on my winter tyres will be inferior to that on my summer tyres on dry warm tarmac. The opposite will be the case on cold wet road.
I was not expecting all-season tires to grip less in wet ~60F/15.6C than winter tires in wet ~45F/7C. Dry performance of the all-season is fine, it's just the wet performance that the winter tires seem to do much better on, even in warmer weather. Winter tire compound if softer, and it has a deeper tread, so perhaps that's why is handles better on wet?

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Just did a testdrive in an iX 50. It is very refined. Very quiet. Better accelerations than my 4 CT. 360 km range left at 70% soc. Seating position probably getting used to. spirited driving and cornering way worse than the Taycan. Glad I was back in my own car. But for a long straight drive it is more comfortable. Don’t know if the 60M would be a bit stiffer. The one I tested didn’t have AS. The steering way nervous.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
One thing that is very nice is the battery pre heating button in the most recent idrive version. First edition didn’t have it and it was added as a software update. Come Porsche, do an effort make us up to date. I’d BMW can do it so can you.
Sponsored

Last edited: