A Taycan or an BMW I5 M60- what would you do?

RingoDingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m a die hard petrol head but can’t see myself going back to an ICE car for my daily driver. I’d love an ev 911 but would be very infested in the up coming cayman ev.
I can see myself hanging onto this Taycan until they come out with whatever is the EV equivalent of the Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder.
Sponsored

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I can see myself hanging onto this Taycan until they come out with whatever is the EV equivalent of the Cayman GT4 or Boxster Spyder.
Indeed, meanwhile I’m hoping the styling to be very similar (without ludicrous rear wing) to the Mission R. As faithful as the Mission E and Taycan

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Indeed, meanwhile I’m hoping the styling to be very similar (without ludicrous rear wing) to the Mission R. As faithful as the Mission E and Taycan
I would rather get the gas version. Unless the range is at least same as the Taycan. But i still have to choose between that and a 911.

Crazymind

First Name
Mattia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
I have not seen the i5 in flesh. Not sure about the design 100%. Had no doubt about the Taycan when I saw it the first time. I wanted one immediately. However I have red a few reviews of the i5 and the Interior is regarded as the best interior ever seen in a car. Driving pleasure is a match to bmw tradition. Quite expensive though. And not sure looking at it it will look or feel 80-90k car. I would probably regret it. If it was around 60/70k I would probably go for it. Sure it will be more spacious and usable. Not sexy like the Taycan though…

OP
OP
CarolineK

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have not seen the i5 in flesh. Not sure about the design 100%. Had no doubt about the Taycan when I saw it the first time. I wanted one immediately. However I have red a few reviews of the i5 and the Interior is regarded as the best interior ever seen in a car. Driving pleasure is a match to bmw tradition. Quite expensive though. And not sure looking at it it will look or feel 80-90k car. I would probably regret it. If it was around 60/70k I would probably go for it. Sure it will be more spacious and usable. Not sexy like the Taycan though…
Yep, I get this. And agree.

RedFiveGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi E-Tron GT Quattro
Country flag
My Carmine Red 4S lease ends in December.
Should I get another Taycan?
You could always try Taycans sister!

Looks pretty decent in red too.

I spent a long time specc’ing and test driving a Taycan 4S in Volcano grey but the dealer just couldn’t commit to less than 18 months wait time.. On top of that they did not have a price guarantee so any increase would be passed on.

Off I went to Audi and fell in love with the GT. I ticked just about all the boxes such as air suspension and got to £97k which was pretty much bang on to the 4S I had on hold.

Price guaranteed as well and even better factory order was 3 months and 1 day from signing the paperwork to being on my drive.

If your lease ends in December could you even get a new Taycan by then?

The Audi suits the Business I run in that it is not too flashy and to many people is just a (nice looking) big Audi. A neighbour asked if it was a TT or an R8 😂 Those that know, know though. I even get waves off Taycan owners which where I am outnumber the Audi around 5 to 1.

F1ENG of this parish didn’t like the drive of the GT thinking it felt too big but I had the opposite experience. I also prefer the Audi cockpit but would have been just as happy in the 4S.

I’ve been in the car now for three months and loved every second with (touch wood) no issues. I would still be a year out from owning the Taycan.

Good luck, it’s a nice problem to have and I pinch myself every time I open the front door and see it on the drive.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
My Carmine Red 4S lease ends in December. I got her in Dec 2020, and she has 33k miles on the clock. Had the battery replaced in Oct 21, having had repeated episodes if battery failure that was not accepted as true by the local dealership until it died a death amd needed towed. Other than that I have had almost no bother with it. Have taken it on 3k journeys in the summer and been fine as have always found chargers.
I now need a new lease deal and still love my Taycan dearly. I went to look at the BMW range today. The iX is great to sit in but too big and not pretty on the outside. The tyres look like teactor wheels.
The i4 feels too cramped inside, but is fast. The i5M60 inside is somewhere in between the i4 and iX and looks more agressive externally. The range is better (300+miles) than my 220m 4S.
Has anyone tried an i5 M60?
Should I get another Taycan?
The self driving features are way way better in the new BMW (at least in Germany) as well as the range. I would buy it, even though it looks kind of uninspiring.

I find Porsche just not innovative enough. Since the Taycan came out years ago, there is nothing new, besides a prototype e-fuel factory in the desert on another planet, ah, continent for an outdated technology harming people. WTF was that??? Where is the next production EV???

Midlifecrisis

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Taycan 4S (sold). Macan SD (sold)
Country flag
Given that your current 4S has a newish battery, ticks all of your boxes and is your favourite colour, is there any way you can keep it? Given the depreciation that is now going on, it will be a good buy for someone. Why not you? Maybe it is not possible with the finance deal, but someone will get it

andb

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The self driving features are way way better in the new BMW (at least in Germany) as well as the range. I would buy it, even though it looks kind of uninspiring.
I recently drove iX and self driving features are only a bit better than in Taycan.
Range of i5 M60 seems similar to 4S at around 250-270 miles but on highway the i5 might get less, more drag, no 2 speed box.
The 40 has a better range but its too slow for the price. I rather have for the i4 M50, has same motors and battery.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I recently drove iX and self driving features are only a bit better than in Taycan.
Range of i5 M60 seems similar to 4S at around 250-270 miles but on highway the i5 might get less, more drag, no 2 speed box.
The 40 has a better range but its too slow for the price. I rather have for the i4 M50, has same motors and battery.
I found my I4 not as involving to drive as the Taycan, steering was very woolly. I felt the weight of the car while driving enthusiastically on UK roads. I didn't really get on with the Idrive 8, it felt clunky and just didn't work that well apart from addressing me by the wrong name for 10 months! It is a great car just not as great as the Taycan. I preferred the smaller dimensions of the i4 and wish Porsche would develop a slimmer car for Europe. Roll on the Cayman ev!

OP
OP
CarolineK

CarolineK

First Name
Caroline
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I found my I4 not as involving to drive as the Taycan, steering was very woolly. I felt the weight of the car while driving enthusiastically on UK roads. I didn't really get on with the Idrive 8, it felt clunky and just didn't work that well apart from addressing me by the wrong name for 10 months! It is a great car just not as great as the Taycan. I preferred the smaller dimensions of the i4 and wish Porsche would develop a slimmer car for Europe. Roll on the Cayman ev!
Thanks Chas

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You are right. I also drove the iX for a week, and the self driving features were not as good as in my EQA. However, BMW improved the system in the new i5 as what I saw here:

Teufel Hund

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan Turbo IGM
Country flag
The look of the car is important to me, the lines of the Taycan are beautiful. Aesthetically it appeals more than any other car I’ve owned. I enjoy the drive, the instant power, and the quiet. All of it. I have enjoyed driving it immensely.
Ditto for me!
Sponsored